Passport & Reentering the US via Canada

jnwong

Registered Users (C)
The passport is required at the POE (especially when flying in), even though it may not be required by law. This is because most likely, the BCIS officiers will need to stamp on your passport with a note of your length of absence.

If without the passport, you might run through some hassels.

btw, has anybody been in and out of Canada lately across the US border?

What is the experience of reentering the US via Canada? Do they swipe the green card and check passport? Or they mainly just take a look at the green card?

Originally posted by jnwong

What is the experience of reentering the US via Canada? Do they swipe the green card and check passport? Or they mainly just take a look at the green card?

They usually don't swipe/stamp anything at land crossings. I cross about 5-6 times a year. At airports, the GC/passport is usually swiped, depending on what you give them. I have never been asked for more than my proof of status, which in the last two years has been my GC.

Brian

They usually don't swipe/stamp anything at land crossings.

They don't? If so, then how do they determine your absences in such a case during naturalization? It is thought that they usually will check what you put in the N-400 form as length of absences against their computer record, right?

They have never stamped my passport with anything. They have the information in their computers, anyway.

Actually, a lot of people at the POE got their passports stamped, that way, during naturalization interview, BCIS can check on the passport for review. But if they have everything in their computer, why do they still ask for people's passports during interview?

came back from a trip home on 3/19 (POE Cincinnati, OH). Passport was stamped with the days I was abroad (18).

sadiq

Advantage of having a stamp on your passport is that
you can remmeber where and when you are outside
USA so that you can enter that on citizensjip
application form

I had gone overseas for a short trip last week. On arrival at Chicago airport the officer asked me how long I was away and then below the stamping he stamped admitted "ARC" "out x days". I thought it was a good thing for me, because if and when I do apply for naturalization the information on my dates out of the US would come real handy. Prior to this I had to personally keep a record of exit and entry dates.

But what if for a frequent traveller at the land crossings who just happened not to have taken down any detail record for each trip? The person might just be able to put down from memory the rough exit/entry time. Would the inaccurracy cause any problem for future naturalization?

Re: Re: Passport & Reentering the US via Canada

Originally posted by leroythelion
They usually don't swipe/stamp anything at land crossings. I cross about 5-6 times a year. At airports, the GC/passport is usually swiped, depending on what you give them. I have never been asked for more than my proof of status, which in the last two years has been my GC.

Brian

Does anyone know that when they swipe your GC, is it to make sure it's not fake and only vital info show up on their screens, or does it show entirely how or based on what catogory you got your GC.

My problem is I got my GC through asylum. However the country I applied from, I no longer carry that passport, but qualified for a "British Overseas Citizen" passport from the UK. I do not have the right of abode in the UK. It's just a means to travel basically. Can I use that with my current temporary GC?

Went to Canada this weekend. On the way back (via road) I just showed my PR card. The immigration officer just looked at it and handed it back. No scans or checks. It was mentioned that the PR is also sufficient if your POE is an airport. I have not confirmed that yet, but I will try it the next time.

Since you got your PR based on asylum, I think it only becomes an issue if you return to your country within a certain amount of time while getting your PR. You should consult a lawyer for details.

As for your question regarding your passport, I have anecdotal knowledge only. One of my colleagues had the same type of passport from Hong Kong and had no difficulties entering the US on an H1 visa.

rgds,
sadiq

Hi kamboi,

To answer your question, they have all information with them, including how you got your green card in the first place (also noted in your green card as well, e.g. Exxx-employment based). For employment-based category, they sometimes will verify your initial sponsoring employer name with you.

But whether or not you may have access to what their system hold about your green card is a different issue. Can anbody help user "Kamboi" on how to get a copy of what BCIS POE computer has about your own green card information?

Green Card Type ?

My card does not state anything about category.

All it says C1USA, A#, SRC #, Passport number (I guess), country and full name. Not sure what C1 stands for. (may be Category 1 ??)

Similar for my wife who is derivative. Not sure if this type will show up on Immigration computer or not.

You are right

yes, mine says E37 (EB3) not sure what 7 is hmmm..
What if they ask about employment and I had changed job, can they create any problems? (I hope not) :(

Interesting

I checked at the link provided. It has from E31 thru E35.
Mine says E37 and my spouse's says E39 (may be they added any new codes).

I had been with sponsoring employer for more than 7 years but changed the job 2 months before approval. Hope that perioud is good enough :(

Not informed

I switched assuming I can avail AC21 but not informed INS about job change.

Well anyway, too late to think about it. hope everything goes fine