Passport expiry restriction?

subbu55

Registered Users (C)
I am ready to mail papers for AOS for my mother. And now suddenly a question has come in my mind.
Her passport is expirying in Dec 08 (4 months from now)
Will that be an issue during her AOS application processing?

I do plan to send her passpot for renewal to Indian embassy in NY once I am done with mailing AOS papers.

Any opinion from experts on this forum is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Subbu

My thoughts

Subbu,

You should go ahead and send in the paperwork with the copies of the current passport that is about to expire in December. No harm in doing that. It doesn't make any sense for you to wait until Dec to file the paperwork with the USCIS. In Dec, go ahead and apply for the renewal of the passport and make sure to take the new renewed passport along with the expired passport with you on the day of the interview.

Another scenario is, you can apply for a new passport now and use the new one instead to apply with the rest of the paperwork. Ofcourse this could delay the paperwork by 2 weeks. Yes, you can apply for the new passport now, you don't have to wait for 3 months for the passport to expire. If you think about it, some countries require that your passport is valid for atleast good 6 months before you travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AB!

I will go ahead and mail the 485 papers. Once I get receipt notice I will send my mothers passport for renewal to Inidian embassy in NY. Hope that comes back quick enough with no issues.

Thanks once again for sharing your thoughts

Subbu

Thanks AB!

I will go ahead and mail the 485 papers. Once I get receipt notice I will send my mothers passport for renewal to Inidian embassy in NY. Hope that comes back quick enough with no issues.

Thanks once again for sharing your thoughts

Subbu

Just a reminder, I would wait till the fingerprints are done, since you will definetly need a passport there.

Thanks amasamas for your input.

If she gets interview call, it wont be too close to FP, is it? I was thinking since gnerally FP is after 30 days since the date of mailing I should renew the passport in that tme gap.

I appreciate if you and other helpful people can share their thoughts about it.

Thanks
Subbu

Not true

Just a reminder, I would wait till the fingerprints are done, since you will definetly need a passport there.

That is not true. Any form of govt issued photo id such as a driv license or a state id would be more than enough. Passport is not a must requirement.

That is not true. Any form of govt issued photo id such as a driv license or a state id would be more than enough. Passport is not a must requirement.

Atlanta_Brother... I completely agree
But from ready the senario of the post, he is applying for AOS for a parent, I was merely guessing she was on a B1/B2 status, which means she would not be able to obtain any US government ID, unless she is here on an H visa, or F visa, which again I am assuming is unlikely considering the petitioner is presumably over 21 years son/daughter.

After all I am building all my presumptions on mere assumptions, which are very well true to be incorrect.

The reason I wanted to point this fact out was to make sure he doesn't apply for the AOS and when it comes the time for the fingerprint appointment, he/she will find a compelling need to have to reschedule the FP till the passport is back.

Ammas ammas your assumption is right. My mother is here on B1-B2 and passport is her only photo id.
May be Atalanta Brother thought it is for my spouce or soemone.
So from both your posts I think it is better to wait till FP is done before filling for extention.
Passport renewal will change passport number, I hope that should not raise any queries....

Subbu

Agreed

Agreed with amsamas. Yes, subbu let's wait till we get done with the FP formality and then apply for the passport extension.

Thanks AB!
This forum is great. Feels like we have some much support while going throuh this complex process

I have a question, is there any law requirment for passport. asa long as it is valid on interview day, is it enough? my lawyer told me at least one year must be valid, I just get fingerprinted for I-485.

because the army problem my consulate refused the extension of passport? i have only three months left to expire?

I have a question, is there any law requirment for passport. asa long as it is valid on interview day, is it enough? my lawyer told me at least one year must be valid, I just get fingerprinted for I-485.

because the army problem my consulate refused the extension of passport? i have only three months left to expire?

As long as the passport is valid on the day of the interview, you don't have anything to worry about. Who is this lawyer? Seems like he just started his practice.