Passport card

Did you recwive you NC regular mail?

Hi USGC485?

Tks for the reply. Did you receive your NC in regular mail? Did you apply at a post office or agency? Also was it expedite? Pls let me. I'm a bit concern why I haven't received mine yet. Tks.

Hi USGC485?

Tks for the reply. Did you receive your NC in regular mail? Did you apply at a post office or agency? Also was it expedite? Pls let me. I'm a bit concern why I haven't received mine yet. Tks.

I received my NC in regular mail. I applied at the post office (chose to expedite because I needed to travel to Canada).

Did you try calling Customer Service? Did you try to contact the agency where you applied for passport? It doesn't hurt to ask them.

Will do

Hi USGC485,

Tks for the prompt reply. Will check my mail today and tomorrow and call early next week. I did call them on 8/25/08 and 8/26/08. They told me to call a week later. I received my pp on 8/22/08 so I guess will give it about 10 days. What good will contacting the post office do? I'm not sure if they will know anything. What makes you think they'll know something? Please let me know.

Post office has nothing to do with this, they are only a processing post for Passport and that is it. Delay won't be from post office and they usually mail everything out same day.

If your NC is not in your hand yet I may ask some question:

Did you apply a the passport card, if yes they will mail you all documents (card and book) first and then your NC will be in mail one week after.

If you didn't apply for a passport card, then when you recieve your Passport book allow for another seven day for your NC to show up in mail. They send it with regular mail whether or not you apply with expedited process.

In my case, I called the National Passport Office and ask them to file an inquiry with Passport office, but anyway they will send you NC back to you.

Good Luck

Thanks for the detailed reply

Hi Nimche,

Thanks for your reply. I applied for my passport only (no card) on 8/8/08. I received it on 8/22/08 via priority mail, send date 8/21/08. I chose regular service, not expedite. So far including today (8/29/08) I haven't received my NC. I just called the national passport office and asked them to file an inquiry with the passport office, exactly what you did. I'm a bit worried. How long did it take for you to receive the NC (in my case name change document also) form the time you filed the inquiry? Please let me know, hope you remember. Tks again.

Hi Nimche,

Thanks for your reply. I applied for my passport only (no card) on 8/8/08. I received it on 8/22/08 via priority mail, send date 8/21/08. I chose regular service, not expedite. So far including today (8/29/08) I haven't received my NC. I just called the national passport office and asked them to file an inquiry with the passport office, exactly what you did. I'm a bit worried. How long did it take for you to receive the NC (in my case name change document also) form the time you filed the inquiry? Please let me know, hope you remember. Tks again.

It was like 7-10 days. Don't worry from what I have seen from Department of State they are much more organized that any other organization here. They won't lose your NC.

Good Luck

Got it!

Hi Guys,

I got my NC. As per to my inquiry with the national passport office an official at the regional office called me. I told her that I was worried that my NC will be lost in the mail. She talked to her supervisor and told me that they will FedEx it. I received it yesterday along with my name change document. The official and her supervisor did me a favor as it is not standard practice to FedEx these documents. I thank you all for your comments.

They should make it standard practice to FedEx or at least certified USPS receipt mail when they send back the NC. I don't trust USPS regular mail with sensitive documents.

The status of the passport card application for my child changed today to:

Your passport application is in the final processing stages.
When you applied, you requested Routine Service.
This means you should receive your passport on or about 10/12/2008.

I'll let you know when I get it, hopefully earlier than that date according to other people's timelines.

Status on my Passport Card

Huracan,

The status on my passport card has also changed as of yesterday. Mine says the same thing (final processing stage) except this:

This means you should receive your passport on or about 10/11/2008.

Will keep you all posted.

Received Passport Card today

Ok guys, the passport card and my passport book is here :D. The card is pretty cool other than the picture printed on the card is black & white.
Just to give you an idea. I mailed my passport book along with the application, 2 passport size pictures, check for $20 on Aug 12th. Somehow USPS took about a week to deliver my envelope to that P.O.Box address in Philadelphia. It was officially recorded in their system on Aug 21st and today Sep 10th, I have it. I'd say it was a 3 week process for me from the time they received it and took a full whole month from the time I mailed my package.

Congratulations Atlanta_Brother! I should expect my child passport card soon. I sent the application for my own passport card a few days later by regular mail, so it also took longer for the application to arrive, that should take at least another week or so. I'll let you guys know when I get things. I think I sent my child application on August 20th, and my wife's and mine on August 22nd.

I guess we don't have EDL in California. I am not sure if an EDL can be used as proof of citizenship to obtain a passport, a passport card can be used as proof, in case the passport book is lost. In my case I have applied for a passport card mostly as an additional document to proof citizenship and to originate other documents if in the worst case I would lose the passport book and naturalization certificate.

What's the reference of having a passport card over an EDL?

EDL is not valid as proof of citizenship for USCIS yet on I-9, but passport card is. No passport can be made from EDL (yet). Passcard is federal document, EDL is only state document. I think it good to have both. I will apply for both cards, you never know what can happen.

Since you must be a US citizen to obtain an EDL and you already have your naturalization certificate as proof of employment eligibility, I don't see any benefit in obtaining a passport card on top of an EDL (where available).

Got my child passport card today. The passport book also came back today in a different envelope. Only bad thing is that they ended stapling twice the front cover and photo page of the passport book. Passport card looks good, nicer than I expected from the initial webpage pictures. I don't know why they chose to do a black and white picture, perhaps it has lower costs of production.

My passport card application still shows as being processed. Because I sent it later and by slower mail I would guess it will take at least another week for me to get it.

I think I mentioned earlier that I went to the post office on August 20 for my child passport card application. So it has been a total of 22 days, not bad considering they are ramping up production of the card and trying to catch up with their backlog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you must be a US citizen to obtain an EDL and you already have your naturalization certificate as proof of employment eligibility, I don't see any benefit in obtaining a passport card on top of an EDL (where available).

Too bad Certificate of Naturalization is not proof of ID or employment anymore on I-9. Just check the instructions. Passport card is more important now.

Too bad Certificate of Naturalization is not proof of ID or employment anymore on I-9. Just check the instructions. Passport card is more important now.

In that case, a social security card (free of charge) can be used on I-9 instead. I still don't see justification of spending extra money on a passport card if you have an EDL.

There is no need, the same way that the people who didn't have a passport and lost their naturalization certificate and social security card and drivers license didn't have a need for it, until they needed to rebuild their identity :) There is no real need, but for us, who don't have US birth certificates it is tough to rebuild your citizenship identity if certain key documents are lost or destroyed. The passport card is pretty good in this sense, as it can be used at least to obtain another passport book, and the passport book is invaluable as proof of citizenship and identity. My guess is that the passport card will also be a very recognized proof of citizenship and identity. For twenty dollars it buys me ten years of having extra proof of citizenship, for me that's worth the money.