Passport card

josil

Registered Users (C)
Hey, Did anybody apply for passport card? I checked both passport and passport card when I applied. Wondering when I would get the passport card.

I just a post card in the mail today advising me that the passport card is on its way and that they have started production. Not sure why they felt the need to send out the post card update.

I just a post card in the mail today advising me that the passport card is on its way and that they have started production. Not sure why they felt the need to send out the post card update.

it's a government agency... they simply wanted to let you know that you have to WAIT! :)

I received my US passport and my naturalization certificate today. I got the letter stating that my passport card will be delivered to my home address in July (it said that the full card production starts in July).

i didn't apply for passport card. when i was getting ready to apply for passport, the site said the issuance of passport cards with begin in july. i don't know where we will be living in july and didn't want it to get lost in the mail. i probably will apply at some point. but passport book is good enough for me right now.

Hi Lola Li,

When did you apply for your passport card? I have applied for one too but did not recieve such a notice like you.

Thanks
John

Hi Lola Li,

When did you apply for your passport card? I have applied for one too but did not recieve such a notice like you.

Thanks
John

I received a post card 1 week after I got my passport book. (both applied at the same time at the US Passport Agency)

According to US Department of State's web site on passport card, it states "Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $20. First-time applicants will pay $45 for adult cards and $35 for children."
I have a current valid passport book and want to apply for a passport card, should I use passport renewal form DS-82 instead of form DS-11? If I use form DS-82, can I send in my certificate of naturalization in lieu of my current unexpired US passport? Thanks.

Hi Lola Li,

Thanks
John

Hi -

I applied for the passport card and booklet in March. I got the passport booklet in 9 days and the post card a month later - informing me the passport card is on its way and I should have it in July.

According to US Department of State's web site on passport card, it states "Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $20. First-time applicants will pay $45 for adult cards and $35 for children."
I have a current valid passport book and want to apply for a passport card, should I use passport renewal form DS-82 instead of form DS-11? If I use form DS-82, can I send in my certificate of naturalization in lieu of my current unexpired US passport? Thanks.

Hi -

Yes, you may use the DS-82 form to apply for a passport card if you have a current and valid passport booklet. Go here for complete details http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

Also, I would advise you to send in your valid passport as the proof as it is easier to replace should anything happen as opposed to paying $600+ for a new certificate. In addition, your passport booklet will be returned to you as it is still valid - and it will be returned to you prior to receiving the passport card since production starts in July. In other words, they will not hold onto your proof of citizenship and will send it back as soon as you are approved - even though the card production may be a few weeks off.

Hope this helps.

what exactly does a "passport card" look like? the only picture that i have seen is on state dept's passport website, but it's basically blank......................................
:confused:

what exactly does a "passport card" look like? the only picture that i have seen is on state dept's passport website, but it's basically blank......................................
:confused:

Actually, it has a identification photo on passport card. You will see what it looks like on links below:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3923.html
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf

I know you cannot see the identification photo on passport card on the website. On the state dept website, photo on passport card is blank (censored by state dept for security purpose).

The card contains both eye readable and machine readable information. For machine reading, information corresponding to personal data is printed in the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ). To facilitate the frequent travel of Americans living in border communities, and to meet the Department of Homeland Security’s operational needs along the land borders, the passport card will have a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. With this technology, Customs and Border Protection inspectors will be able to access photographs and other biographical information stored in secure government databases before the traveler reaches the inspection station.

Actually, it has a identification photo on passport card. You will see what it looks like on links below:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3923.html
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf

I know you cannot see the identification photo on passport card on the website. On the state dept website, photo on passport card is blank (censored by state dept for security purpose).

Thank you! i guess I'll just have to wait until next month to see what the actual card looks like. :)

Quick update. My wife got her passport card today. She sent her application June 16th (normal). I also sent my application on June 17th (expedited), but still no card.

Interesting - I applied in early May and haven't received it yet. Seems like they are producing it randomly at more than one location. Why am I not surprised by this? :rolleyes: