Passport application question - NEED YOUR HELP

james_mayega

Hello,
I became a us citizen few weeks ago. I am planning to apply for us passport and have a question: (This is a very unique situation and I appreciate your help in advance)

My previously nationality was a small country in Africa, lets say Country A. When I filled out N-400 and other immigration papers in the past, I filled out Country A as my place of birth.

However, I recently had a very long talk with my parents and relatives and I was shocked to learn that I was adopted and I was in fact born in neighboring Country B but due to clerical error, I was listed incorrectly in the birth certificate as born in Country A. So my correct place of birth should be Country B.

When I fill out my us passport applicaton form, can I fill out Country B as my place of birth? Do you know if they cross-check the other INS database to match the place of birth or since I am now a us citizen, whether I was born in Country A or Country B is not a big deal. I also read the passport instructions that it is not needed to submit the foreign birth certificate for a naturalized citizen...On my natrualized certificate, it shows my former nationality but not my place of birth...Thank you for your time, any insight about this situation will be very helpful...

J Mayega

Last edited by a moderator:
CroATM said:
go with Country A and avoid any issues.
Hello,
Thank you for your response. However, what if for personal reasons, I still would like Country B to be listed on the us passport for my place of birth. Would it cause any problem or you think this is not a big deal and I can fill out Country B on the passport application form.

Best regards,
J Mayega

james_mayega said:
Hello,
Thank you for your response. However, what if for personal reasons, I still would like Country B to be listed on the us passport for my place of birth. Would it cause any problem or you think this is not a big deal and I can fill out Country B on the passport application form.

Best regards,
J Mayega

First of all, congrats on your citizenship!

I would have the same advise - go with country A. This is just formality and do not add too much meaning to it.

However......If you want to be precise about these things, you would have to get another naturalization certificate (listing country B) and that can take literally another 1yr. Why doing all of that? Plus you would need to provide USCIS with a new FORMAL birth certificate (country B). If this is just your Mom's story, forget about it.....you need an offical document.

Most important, PLEASE do not obsses.....Your time is spent much more valuable by helping country B (that you obviously like more than country A). Show love for your home country by action, not by administrative b/s.

You are fine from the legal perspective. You did not intentionally mislead anyone about your birth place and now you have different information. Things like this happen even in US.

I'm sorry but I can not follow your irrational "personal" reason.

Get a life....and relax...enjoy your newly acquired US citzenship!

Good luck!

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or expert. Just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions.

Last edited by a moderator: