Parents US visit while pending I 130

smile1

Registered Users (C)
Hi again,

I have applied for I 130 for both my parents and now there is a family wedding in the US in December . I know it is not allowed for parents to visit once I 130 is applied for, but is there some way that a permission can be taken from the embassy before arrival here in the US. My parents have a 10 year visitor visa and if my uncle sends the invitation and letter confirming that they are coming for a wedding,will they be allowed?
I know it's not an emergency,just checking if something can be done about their visit so they can attend the wedding.

Thanks all.

That is incorrect. There is no rule/regulation explicitly barring temporary visits to the US while the I-130 process is going on. Yes, it makes it very difficult to obtain a new visit visa or use an exisiting visit visa, but it is surely not a case of "not allowed".

I know it is not allowed for parents to visit once I 130 is applied for

Thanks.... So can they still visit ? What kind of difficulty can they face at immigration if they come? They have visited 3 times in the last 6 years and never overstayed.

Thanks.... So can they still visit ? What kind of difficulty can they face at immigration if they come? They have visited 3 times in the last 6 years and never overstayed.

it does not matter " They have visited 3 times in the last 6 years and never overstayed."

They need a non-immigration visa for the wedding, but filing I-130 means they will immigrate to the us.
I think chance is high that their visa application will be rejected.
But they still have a chance to get the visa, you never know until you try it.

it does not matter " They have visited 3 times in the last 6 years and never overstayed."

They need a non-immigration visa for the wedding, but filing I-130 means they will immigrate to the us.
I think chance is high that their visa application will be rejected.
But they still have a chance to get the visa, you never know until you try it.

Reread the first post. They already have the visa. Now it's just a matter of whether they will be refused entry when they attempt to use it.

I have applied for I 130 for both my parents and now there is a family wedding in the US in December . I know it is not allowed for parents to visit once I 130 is applied for, but is there some way that a permission can be taken from the embassy before arrival here in the US. My parents have a 10 year visitor visa and if my uncle sends the invitation and letter confirming that they are coming for a wedding,will they be allowed?
I know it's not an emergency,just checking if something can be done about their visit so they can attend the wedding.

They can try, but they're running the risk of being refused entry. If the immigration officer notices the pending I-130 and gives them some hassle about it, they'll have to convince them they'll return to their country to wait for the green card interview at the consulate. It would help if they have evidence of ties to their country that they won't want to abandon right now, such as owning a house or having a decent job.

Yes, they can attempt to use their existing visas to enter the US as visitors. Their chances of being granted entry will depend on various factors, primarily their citizenship and the POE officer's mood that day :)

So can they still visit ? What kind of difficulty can they face at immigration if they come?

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. We were thinking maybe just my mother will travel with property and bank papers and my dad can stay back( in India ). Also as it is her neice's wedding and my other uncles will be on the same flight, maybe we'll have a better chance.

Thanks again!