Parents interview for GC

vivek.gupta765

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I filed for my parents GC a couple of months back. My parents have had 10-yr visitor visa which is expiring in May. My parents have come several times to the US but never overstayed (currently they're in the US as well).

USCIS just sent interview letters for both my parents. I was wondering if its common for parents to get interviewed for GC. What're the kind of Qs the officer will ask?

Any quick tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks a lot....

Where is the interview? At a consulate outside the US, or at a USCIS office inside the US?

If it is at a consulate, there will always be an interview.

Thanks Triple Citizen for your response! A couple of other Qs:

1) Can I go with them for the interview?
2) Their interview time slots are like 11.10am and 11.40am, so is there a chance that they will be interviewed together or not at all?
3) My parents have had 10-yr visitor visa which is expiring in May. They have come 9-10 times to the US, never overstayed (once, they stayed for 1yr but we got extension approved in advance, so nothing illegal). Does all this look like a prior intent to reside in the US? If the IO asks this, what should be the reply?

A1: As their sponsor, yes you will most likely be allowed and will probably be needed.

A2: That no one can comfirm or deny.

A3: As long as the decision to apply for AOS was made after their last entry into the US, they are fine. Seeing that they have been frequent visitors to the US that left on time, I do not see any issues.

1) Can I go with them for the interview?
2) Their interview time slots are like 11.10am and 11.40am, so is there a chance that they will be interviewed together or not at all?
3) My parents have had 10-yr visitor visa which is expiring in May. They have come 9-10 times to the US, never overstayed (once, they stayed for 1yr but we got extension approved in advance, so nothing illegal). Does all this look like a prior intent to reside in the US? If the IO asks this, what should be the reply?

Hi all,
just wanted to share the GC interview experience of my parents this month (filed for AOS in San Francisco). Even though the apptmt times were 30min apart, both were called in together. The IO was very nice and cooperative. The first thing he asked was where your son (sponsor) was. My parents said he is at work, IO didnt ask any further, but I think it might be a good idea for the sponsor to go as well.

Then, he went over the forms first for Mom and then Dad. He asked for Drivers License of both (my parents have had DL). He asked for Adv Parole docs to be returned. More Qs he asked were:
then he asked what is your son doing and where is he. he asked date of birth my son and his designation and his marriage date also.
-how many times did you get married. how many children do you have.
-any other children beyond this marriage.
-the phone # given in the form- he asked if it is cell or home phone.
-Do you work?
-he asked for date of birth and date of birth of the spouse.
-he asked few questions of I-485--- have you ever been arrested--- been member of any org etc.etc?
-He asked if we had infulenza shot in the medical checkup. My Mom said said no bec. it was not available and doctor said that he will write in the form that it was not available then.
-do you have SSN #?
-he asked for date of marriage.

Then, he gave form G-325-A to be filled up. We had not submitted this w/ the app (we didnt know). This form asks for last 5 yrs of work and residence history, so pl remember all the dates. IO actually helped them fill the form.

The interview lasted 25min total for both. IO was very cordial. He finally gave the approval form.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Hello OP. Im on the same boat as you. I sponsored both parents and good thing i found your post, i was gonna call for infopass to have their interview set together since they are 30min apart. I have a question on EAD, was it applied together with i-130 and i-145? my parents will be interview this month but haven't received any EAD yet.

HI Vivek,

Thank you for your detailed post. May I ask how long it took to get the actual green card after the interview/approval form?

Thanks in advance,
VAndana

Guys, can you please post your time line how long it took from the moment you filed I130 to the moment your parents received GC?