Parents applying for Citizen: how long after GC, continuous residency questions

siliconhybrid

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
This may have been discussed many times, but I can't find information clearly thru the search. I hope someone can help answer my questions. I am applying my parents GC now through me as Naturalized US citizen, let's say they get their GC today

1) When can they apply for citizenship (3 yr, 4yr, or 5yr? after GC)
2) what's the rule on the continuous residency, I've read that they can't leave out of country for more than 180 days, but is that 180 days for the duration of the 3-4-5 year total, or 180 days per year?

please help

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

5 year residency. Same rules apply which applied to you when you naturalized; i.e., continuous residency and physical presence requirements.

Continuous residency means (in general) that each international trip should not be more than 180 days.

Physical presence means that out of the 5 years they should be present in the US for at least 30 months.

---

Last edited by a moderator:
5 year residency. Same rules apply which applied to you when you naturalized; i.e., continuous residency and physical presence requirements.

Continuous residency means (in general) that each international trip should not be more than 180 days.

Physical presence means that out of the 5 years they should be present in the US for at least 30 months.

---

thank youuuu
it's clear now

I thought the wait was 3 years instead of 5 years to apply for citizenship