outside USA J1 waiver

Henry.eub

Does anybody know how to do J1 waiver outside of US? I held a J1 before and Now I am out of US and want to waive off its 2 years home residency.
Another question is how they know when you are in home country? tricky?

Thank you

The tricky part would be to find a job offer that is willing to go through all the hoops... If you're here you're more likely to convince and maintain the interest while paperwork comes through.

Having said that, the process is the same once it's started. The key is not to be out of status. Some people who applied to the waiver late or got offered a contract late could run our of their J1 30-day grace period and would then have to go back to their country to wait for the process to finalize. I've heard it's a terrible mistake to over-stay, because that puts you out of status and complicates things tremendously.

So, in short, as long as you have an employer, you should be perfectly fine. Go for it!

Hmm... I don't know what simonwallace is talking about...

1. Yes, you can apply for the waiver outside of the US. The requirements for the waiver are different depending on the basis you are applying (e.g. no objection, hardship)
2. When you apply for H/L/K visa or green card, they will ask you for proofs of being in your home country. You will have to present evidence such as immigration stamps on passport, payroll, transcript, credit card bill, etc.