out of status parents, can i petition them?

gilace

Registered Users (C)
hi, i am a US citizen, a student and turning 21 next year. my parents arrived here in the US over 21 years ago as tourists but have been out of status since their visa expired. they are actually working and paying taxes (somehow they were able to get papers to work but I dont know how). My understanding is that you have to be at least 21 yrs old in order to petition your parents but their situation is a little different because they are out of status and actually employed when they are supposedly not authorized to work.

Am I able to petition them? What will happen to their current jobs?

thanks,
g

As a USC who is 21 or older, you may file an I-130 for each of them. As IR's (immediate relatives of a USC), they may file for adjustment of status concurrently with your I-130 petitions as long as they can show that they initially made a lawful entry even though they are now out of status. IR's of a USC are forgiven unlawful employment to a certian degree under 8 CFR 245.1 (b)(4)(i). Your biggest hurdle may be filing I-864's, Affidavits of Support for each of them. You will have to show sufficient income for the Household Size in question. See the form I-864P at www.uscis.gov You are a student and probably don't make enough income to sponsor them and their illegal income probably cannot be used. See a lawyer about it.

Hi BigJoe5,
Many thanks to your response, I appreciate your advice. In your opinion after I start the process of petitioning, will my parents jobs be affected (meaning will they be forced to quit their jobs since INS will now know they do not have the right to work)? I am just worried since it is obviously our family's main source of our income.

Best regards,
g

Hi BigJoe5,
Many thanks to your response, I appreciate your advice. In your opinion after I start the process of petitioning, will my parents jobs be affected (meaning will they be forced to quit their jobs since INS will now know they do not have the right to work)? I am just worried since it is obviously our family's main source of our income.

Best regards,
g

USCIS will likely NOT inform ICE of any unlawful employment. Also, upon filing the I-765, that issue would soon fade as they will get EAD's that authorize work. If you hold off filing the I-864's until they get valid work authorization, their income will become lawful and can be considered in evidence. Discuss it with a lawyer.

You can have any friend or relative provide the letter of support. The assurance of support does not have to be the sponsor. The support letter is valid until your parents become citizens or they complete 15 years in the US as PRs or they complete 10 years of working and paying social security taxes. In your case since they have been here 20 years already the "risk" to a sponsor is very little if any.

Are your parents using fake SSNs? They might be issued with new REAL ones in that case. I don't know, but that might affect their employment situation in that they'll have to switch to the new numbers. I'm not sure how that works.

You can have any friend or relative provide the letter of support. The assurance of support does not have to be the sponsor. The support letter is valid until your parents become citizens or they complete 15 years in the US as PRs ...

There is no 15 year limit. The affidavit of support remains in effect for the rest of their lives, if they remain permanent residents and don't accumulate 40 credits for Social Security or obtain US citizenship.

Yes, you are correct. The I-864 does state that the obligation ceases only when 40 qualifying quarters of work (by person/spouse) are completed or one becomes a US citizen. In reality most would become a citizen in 5 years time.
There is no 15 year limit. The affidavit of support remains in effect for the rest of their lives, if they remain permanent residents and don't accumulate 40 credits for Social Security or obtain US citizenship.

Yes, you are correct. The I-864 does state that the obligation ceases only when 40 qualifying quarters of work (by person/spouse) are completed or one becomes a US citizen. In reality most would become a citizen in 5 years time.

No, that is not the reality for this demographic. It is merely the desired outcome from the point of view of a sponsor.

Very often people who come here and overstay for so long (over 2 decades) (or just come illegally in the first place) and work in the underground economy usually do not assimilate well enough into the mainstream society to qualify for naturalization in only five years if even ever able to get a greencard. This is even the case for older legal immigrants who are often only able to get jobs where they don't need english skills and those types of jobs may lead to long hard days that leave people too tired to go to evening ESL classes and may not even allow the sufficient income to afford ESL clases if desired. These are the folks that the english exceptions were created for but those exceptions only reward the hard work done after getting a greencard by imposing a minimum wait of 15 years with a greencard coupled with attaining a minumum age of 55. The other exception is waiting 20 years with a greencard but only having to be 50 years old.

Also, referring to post #5, all living I-130 sponsors MUST file an I-864 even showing zero income. In such a case they may be helped by a joint or co-sponsor. That joint or co-sponsor must be either a USC, a non-citizen national, or an LPR.

The sponsor(s) remain jointly and severally liable for support until the sponsored immigrant: 1.) naturalizes, 2.) abandons LPR status, 3.) is ordered removed, 4.) attains 40 qualifying quarters of work (aggregate total 10 years of lawful employment), or 5.) dies. The sponsors remain liable even in the death of one of the other sponsors with the exception of a "co-sponsor" of a "joint sponsor".

Last edited by a moderator:
out of status parents, petition process

Hi,
Just revisiting this thread, also just to give a little more info about my parents. Contrary to BigJoe5's last reply, my parents actually have good professional jobs, they speak very fluent english but of course they are working illegally due to their status as coming to US with tourist visas and overstaying for over 20 years. They have real social security numbers and pay taxes. With this said I just have a couple more questions I hope you can help answer.

1) Should I talk to an immigration lawyer now to start the petition process even though I don't turn 21 yet for another 10 months? Does it make a difference if I start early?
2) We have been dreaming of vacationing in Europe but obviously my parents can not leave the US due to their status. How soon can they travel outside the US after I submit the petition papers?

I appreciate all your help...thanks

Hi,
Just revisiting this thread, also just to give a little more info about my parents. Contrary to BigJoe5's last reply, my parents actually have good professional jobs, they speak very fluent english but of course they are working illegally due to their status as coming to US with tourist visas and overstaying for over 20 years. They have real social security numbers and pay taxes. With this said I just have a couple more questions I hope you can help answer.

1) Should I talk to an immigration lawyer now to start the petition process even though I don't turn 21 yet for another 10 months? Does it make a difference if I start early?

You should definitely talk to a lawyer before filing I-130 petitions for your parents. As noted above, you will face a difficult situation in terms of I-864 and you need to discuss it in advance with a lawyer to figure out exactly how to proceed and in which order. Your parents will also need to prove that they initially were admitted to the U.S. legally, on temporary visas, and it is a good idea to have a lawyer take a look at the relevant evidence. Without such proof they will not be able to adjust status even after you turn 21.

2) We have been dreaming of vacationing in Europe but obviously my parents can not leave the US due to their status. How soon can they travel outside the US after I submit the petition papers?

After you turn 21, you can file I-130 for your parents in the immediate relative of a USC category, which means that they will not be subject to the quotas and will not have to wait for a visa number. So you will be able to submit concurrent applications I-130 (immigrant petition) + I-485 (adjustment of status application) for them. I-130 in and of itself does not yet give them any rights, but filing I-485 allows them to also apply for employment authorization (I-765 application) and advance parole travel document (I-131 application). The I-765 and I-131 application may be submitted together with I-485 application. With an approved employment authorization application they will get an EAD and will be able to work in the U.S. legally while their I-485 applications are pending.

An advance parole document normally allows people with pending I-485 applications to travel abroad and be readmitted to the U.S. while their I-485 applications are pending.

However, your parents will not be able to do that, even if their I-131s are approved. Since they accumulated more than a year of unlawful presence in the U.S. after 1997, they are subject to 10 year inadmissibility bars under the 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform Act. Those bars apply even to people with advance parole.

So your parents would have to wait until their adjustment of status (I-485) applications are approved and they actually become permanent U.S. residents before they can travel abroad.

gilace,

You have thrown a new factoid into the mix. Did either "professional" parent ever have J-1 status? IF yes, are they subject to INA 212(e) 2-year home residency requirements? Ask them about that.

out of status parents, petition steps

Many thanks baikal3 and BigJoe5 with your responses, this is certainly helpful. I will consult with a lawyer soon. So it seems that my parents wont be able to travel outside the US until their status actually gets approved as permanent residents. In your opinion, how much time are we looking at on a best case scenario that their status will be approved? Am I looking at months or years from the time we submit my petition?
BigJoe5, both my parents came to US legally with tourist visas (and can prove it) they do not have J-1 statuses. They originally came to the US with the intention of only visiting and vacation, it was then after a few months later during their stay that they decided to stay illegally for a chance of a better life. Knowking this, does it mean its a better situation for us or harder?

Many thanks baikal3 and BigJoe5 with your responses, this is certainly helpful. I will consult with a lawyer soon. So it seems that my parents wont be able to travel outside the US until their status actually gets approved as permanent residents. In your opinion, how much time are we looking at on a best case scenario that their status will be approved? Am I looking at months or years from the time we submit my petition?
BigJoe5, both my parents came to US legally with tourist visas (and can prove it) they do not have J-1 statuses. They originally came to the US with the intention of only visiting and vacation, it was then after a few months later during their stay that they decided to stay illegally for a chance of a better life. Knowking this, does it mean its a better situation for us or harder?

There are too many unknown variables to predict how much time it'd take.
Under the very best scenario, if your parents prepare ALL the necessary supported documents, from the time I-130+I485s are submitted, it'd take months, not years, to the final approval.

However, getting all the documents together may take quite a while.

First, you need to sort out the I-864 affidavit of support situation. This may be the biggest practical hurdle to overcome.

Then there are the various necessary documents (particularly for I-485) regarding you and your parents: their birth certificates, proof of relationship to you, copies of their old passports and I-94s with initial admission stamps and visas, etc.

Also, they'll need to do a medical exam/immunization form, I-693. For many people that can take months to prepare because it requires (or at least required - you'd have to check the current rules) a medical exam at a USCIS approved doctor, TB tests, blood tests, proof of various vaccinations etc. For me, for example, getting proof of various necessary vaccinations was very difficult and I had to actually get some vaccinations here (some of them required several doses and at least a couple of months apart between those). Then there is the TB test. In many countries (such as Russia, where I am from) they used to give all kids live TB vaccines. That means that you typically will always get a positive TB reaction to a TB skin test for the rest of your life - and some USCIS doctors require a course of antibiotics to be taken in such cases, which again can take several months (I was lucky that the doctor doing my I-693 did not require a course of antibiotics, but I heard quite a few stories where this was required).

Then, presumably, they'll need some sort of current proof of identity, particularly for doing the biometrics. Do they have current valid national passports? Valid U.S. drivers' licenses?

There are also a bunch of translations to prepare (birth certificates etc), supporting forms to fill (e.g. G-325A), etc.
Also the application fees will be considerable. At a minimum you are looking at about $1700 per each parent ($420 for I-130, $985 for I-485, $380 for I-765), plus possible lawyer fees etc.

Basically the earlier you get started the better in terms of preparing the supporting documents.

Your parents are lucky that they entered on valid visas and then overstayed, rather then entered illegally. In the latter case they would not be able to adjust status, even in the immediate relative category.

Double check those fee amounts: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=b1ae408b1c4b3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Check foreign document info at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html USCIS relies on this same info.

Your biggest hurdle remains the same. The I-864s.

A side note: You, friend, are what some politicians and other nutcases call an "anchor baby". Based on your posted information, you can demonstrate how just how cock-eyed that term really is. It has not helped your parents all that much. YOUR parents got in "under the wire" and managed to get unrestricted SS cards and valid state licenses before the crackdown on that stuff. Now they and you are faced with problems galore.

Please post along the way.

Good Luck.

baikal3 & BigJoe5, I can't thank you enough for all your help. I really appreciate your inputs, I realize that this is not going to be an easy process but at least I can say I have a better understanding and know what to expect. My parents have worked hard and continue to do so to provide me a better life which would not have been possible had they decided to go back to our country. They made a tough choice in leaving everything behind and take a chance for a better future here. I at least owe it to make them finally legal and be recognized as positive contributors to society.
I will keep you posted and I hope I have good news the next time I write.

Take care,
gilace

baikal3 & BigJoe5, I can't thank you enough for all your help. I really appreciate your inputs, I realize that this is not going to be an easy process but at least I can say I have a better understanding and know what to expect. My parents have worked hard and continue to do so to provide me a better life which would not have been possible had they decided to go back to our country. They made a tough choice in leaving everything behind and take a chance for a better future here. I at least owe it to make them finally legal and be recognized as positive contributors to society.
I will keep you posted and I hope I have good news the next time I write.

Take care,
gilace

You said: "....go back to our country....."

You are a U.S. Citizen, that makes their country your "old country". That country (whatever it is), might or might not consider you a citizen. You are getting older and may have lost out if affirmative steps were required by a cut-off age.

I petitioned my mother who overstayed a tourist visa by 11 years. The process was smooth.

The USCIS is very serious about a legal entry, so you must provide proof of that. If they are clean, no criminal records, have proof of legal entry, then the process is pretty straight forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I petitioned my mother who overstayed a tourist visa by 11 years. The process was smooth.

The USCIS is very serious about a legal entry, so you must provide proof of that. If they are clean, no criminal records, have proof of legal entry, then the process is pretty straight forward.

hi hmz,
Sounds like a similar situation like mine. Did your mother also worked during her overstay? how long did it take for your mom to get her green card from the time you petitioned her? did she have to inform her employer or leave her job when you filed?

Hi HMZ,
Me again, also wanted to ask on the rough estimate on how much it cost you in total to petition your mom.

thanks,
gilace