Out of status: Avoid greyhound or amtrak

The patrol says that answering agents’ questions is voluntary, part of a “consensual and nonintrusive conversation” Some passengers agree, though they are not told that they can keep silent. But others, from immigration lawyers and university officials to American-born travelers startled by an agent’s flashlight in their eyes, say the practice is coercive, unconstitutional and tainted by racial profiling.

So what happens if you just stare at them and say nothing? What would happen if someone just said "I don't want to answer any of your questions"? Wouldn't they be able to force the individual to produce ID at least?

Metro North goes as far as New Haven, CT. There might be a bus or something to Providence. Other than Amtrak or Greyhound, I dont know of anything else. Unless you take a plane.

ICE and CBP are also doing similar things at some airports ... have agents roaming around asking people their status.

The article doesn't mention how they start out the conversation. It could be a straightforward "Sir/mam we'd like to ask you a few routine questions and before I ask I have to tell you that you have the right to decline" or it could be a more tricky and coercive "Sir/mam we'd like to ask you a few questions and you do have the right to decline but I have to tell you that if you do decline your behavior may be noted as suspicious and depending on current circumstances may lead to forced actions on our part such as arrest".

Its not a check point. They roam around and can stop you anywhere. I have taken numerous domestic flights and have seen them detaining people. Its your body language and expression they watch.

How does TSA play part in this? If you are taking a domestic flight, then you don't cross a CBP checkpoint.

It's not TSA, it's ICE and CBP roaming around asking people for papers. Including people who have already gotten past the TSA checkpoint and are at the gate area waiting for the flight.

Hmm, didn't know airports have random checks. As for the bus and train checks, they say it's voluntary, so you could try asking if you are required to answer. If not, and you don't want to, try saying you'd rather not answer and act like nothing happened. Haha. Let us know how it goes, from within our out of detention :)

I would like to respond to this. a friend of mine was questioned by CBP and the first question asked was, "when did you get your naturalization sir?" and now he is currently in detention because even with providing them with an id he was taken off the bus at another stop.

I would like to respond to this. a friend of mine was questioned by CBP and the first question asked was, "when did you get your naturalization sir?" and now he is currently in detention because even with providing them with an id he was taken off the bus at another stop.

Can you say more about your friend's case? Is he in the country illegally? Which part of the country was he nailed?

Where was this ... a regular city bus, or Greyhound? Which state ... Arizona?

Is he a citizen? What ID did he provide?

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to me when I was a GC holder at Buffalo airport. I had my Drivers license and they were able to verify my status right there. I then read the laws.. They clearly state CBP/ICE can check your status w/in 100 miles of the border or at any DOT service provider or station. If you visit the removal section of this forum you will see quite a number of folks who were picked up in these situations, which i can imagine is traumatic. But I will say this, if someone is out of status they can/should expect a knock on the door or even asked by any law enforcement about their status. At buff airport ICE was by the TSA asking everyone on their citizenship. I am sure others who are more knowledgeable folks can add on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSrge5hZ1Cw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-QJNpOMHg&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator: