OPT - H1-B Visa Stamping

spangroup

Registered Users (C)
I have my H1 B approved with a start date of Oct 19 and am planning on getting my visa stamped in canada. I came to know that we can apply a date for stamping that is 10 days before start date. I have my OPT till February 2007. So my question would be in case my visa stamping gets rejected............Can I return back to US on my F1 Visa status or should i return back to India.

Please Advise.

Thanks
Kiran

You are correct about the 10 day fact. I was also advised a similar thing for my transfer from OPT-H1. Usually OPT doesnt allow you to travel outside the country and return back even if your I-94 is valid. Once you leave the country on OPT you cannot come back but since there are special rules between Canada-USA there might be something that gives you a window.
If you are still under OPT i would suggest you talk to your University's International Student Counsellor/Dept they should know about this.

Good Luck

spangroup said:
I have my H1 B approved with a start date of Oct 19 and am planning on getting my visa stamped in canada. I came to know that we can apply a date for stamping that is 10 days before start date. I have my OPT till February 2007. So my question would be in case my visa stamping gets rejected............Can I return back to US on my F1 Visa status or should i return back to India.

Please Advise.

Thanks
Kiran

My understanding is that you can come back to US on OPT if you go to Canada for visit as your I94 is not taken and it remains valid as long as you return within 30 days.

However, if you apply for a visa in Canada and if it is rejected then at port of entry they will not let you return to US and ask you to go back to home country and apply again for the visa

Thanks

Thank You for your prompt response guyz.

Can I ask you one more question......I have finished all my Masters courses but my project is still pending. I have been working for the past 7-8 months and I have been in status all the time. If I plan on getting my H1 stamped without finishing my masters project ........... would this be an issue and will I be in any trouble at the consulate.

Please advise
Kiran

Most commonly OPT-H1B individuals are asked to show their degree certificates.
Did the university issue you a certificate demonstrating completion of the program, having original certificates of your degrees is pretty much a must.

Additional since you havent completed your requirements has the administration placed an "I" on your transcript or a completed grade?
Sometimes they ask to see your transcripts, i suggest you carry an official sealed transcript incase they ask, therefore there are no doubts in their mind about your grades and coursework.

Thank You Niyant

I will carry all the documents suggested by you.

I have an 'I' for my project as I havent finished it.

So do you think a course completion certificate with a set of sealed transcripts would work instead of an actual degree certificate?

I have got 221G and asked me to Show the original MS Certificate. I have got the letter from the university stating the that i have completed the course. But the convocation is in Feb 2007. Now i am held up in INDIA. I dont know if i could go and try to explain the VO about the convocation stuff..
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INPUTS ABOUT IT.. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
THANKS
MARUTI