OPT/EAD for Aug start date

Pooja - I hope you get ur IEAD on July 24..lots of good luck to you...please do update here after your appointment.

Are you applying for OPT based on a F-1 visa? You mentioned that you had to get finger printing done (in an earlier post) and had to submit documents on May 22? Did you get a Request for Evidence from USCIS?

I checked the USCIS website for local offices, there is a 2nd office in Cherry Hill - I think you could try there to get an IEAD.

Im not sure if you understood my question. it was regarding the OPT/EAD not the H1. i was wondering if an offer letter plus the fact that my H1 is approved would let me back into the country?

OPToasis said:
thanks agian

So i spoke to the embassy and also to my dean (of international students). he spoke to the embassy as well. now this is what he said,

" I asked her (woman at the embassy) about a person being able to apply for the visa with the receipt notice. She got off the phone, and came back and said that they did not think that was possible with just the receipt notice. I actually had just seen that in my book, and I am trying to find out more about it. It seems like it is possible, as your info has suggested, and as one line from my book has suggested."

now what i was wondering is if I already have a offer letter, an H1 visa in place for October and my receipt wouldnt that work?

obviosuly it all depends on the embassy, but do you think that would be more then enough for them to know that Im actually not trying to pull one on them

As long as u have a valid F1 visa u can enter US before ur F1 visa and I20 expires. Get the proof thet u have applied for EAD... the situation can however be tricky.. Talk to ur attorney before deciding on what to do...

my F1 expired on the 26th of may so does that mean I have to wait for the OPT? Also, is there any other way to get into the US, even if it means i cant work for pay? my dean and I looked into the whole J visa possibility but that would be hard becasue its tricky to switch over into an H1 (which i already have). basically right now im scared that i will be fired becasue of this whole situation, so i would rather return to the US and if poossible work for no pay until October, if that is possible. thats is i would have the company (if they can/are willing) put me in as an unpaid intern until october

How can you travel on an expired F Visa? You first need to get it stamped.. and its not easy to do it now that u have graduated... I am sorry but u should not have travelled during this time... I am not sure why u did not take a better advise...

okay last,
does anyone know why Vermont (and two other offices) seem to be having a stopage in processing? ive been trying to get through but without success. is this usual during this time of year and finally is may processing a really slow month? i was thinking that maybe since its the last month everyone tries to get in before graduation.

my case received date is May 23.

my case received date is May 23. Now USCIS Vermont still works on cases received on April 14; It is more than 95 days lag; how long should we wait for?!

Ironfish, PM me if you hear about your case. I will PM you if I hear about my wife's also May 23. They cashed the Check on May 24. I will post to this thread also. What is your field office for Interim EAD?

Hi Pooja: I remember you had an appointment for IEAD yesterday @ Newark..did you finally get it?? I really hope you did!

Would you please update here...thanks - Mehak

HI
am actually back in the US. However Vermont still is working on April 14. is this true or are they behind. did anyone in May get their EAD yet?

Below, encase you have not seen this is how I was able to get back into the country without EAD card

ICE and DOS have stated in liaison calls that an F-1 student who has timely applied for OPT following completion of his or her course of study may travel outside the US while the OPT application is pending. DOS (Department of State) has sent a field cable (DOS cable 2004 State 008466 (January 13, 2004, AMDOC# 200405007) instructing consular officers that applicants for F-1 visas may present either an EAD or , if the OPT application is still pending, the I-765 receipt notice (Form I-765), as proof of eligibility for the visa. In a May 12, 2004 liaison call, ICE [the INS] confirmed the above, and stated that CBP has incorporated this into their training of immigration inspectors, and has received concurring opinions from USCIS HQ.

as i stated, Im back in the US and the US embassy gave me no problems however most consulates need this paragraph as most employees do not actually know of this change.

they definitely have not updated their processing dates.
I applied to VCS on June (receipt date JUNE 5 th).
I got approval yesterday and today they updated that they ordered the EAD card for me.

see my signature.

has anyone else around the end of may early june gotten their card? Im supposed to start next wednesday but without my card things arent looking so great.
-Khoabane

By the way, I learned that the reason why things are so slow is because the offices just changed computer services. What sucks is that I start work next week and have yet to hear from them, but what of benefit to future OPT-ers is that you will one day be able to expedite your OPT (for the fun price of $1000) to get it in 2 weeks. That leaves you to wonder if they can actually already process things in two weeks why they take 90 days

OPToasis, Congrats on getting the offer but also sorry to hear that you are walking on a tight rope as of now. Hopefully, everything will go good for you. My OPT received date is 6th of June and haven't heard anything so far. I was wondering if you know anybody who has been approved with an OPT receipt date of mid May.

juicy,
not to ive you any more bad news. but several of us are still waiting with RD of beginning of May. Mine is may 3rd.
wish i had better news.
nothing this weekend.

have a good sunday.

Yitsi80, I know one of my friend with RD 04/27/2006 got his OPT approved by VSC on 07/20/2006 and also quite a few others around that date. Since then a week has passed by. Are you sure that several of your friends with an OPT RD in the first week of May have not been approved. May be VSC has slowed down again, it is really difficult to tell with the infrequent updation of the processing times in the USCIS website. Anyways, Good luck to all of us.