OPT and 60 day grace period

cmn0548

Registered Users (C)
I have a question. I am on my OPT which expired last week. I know I have a 60 day grace period, and I am currently applying at another college to go back to school. My question is, my foreign advisor told me that as long as my previous college releases my account, and my new i-20 is pending from the new college, would that mean that the 60 day grace period is no longer an issue, as long as my i-20 is pending from this other school? if my i-20 was issued , say after 60 days from my OPT expiration but the process was undergoing before the 60 day expiration, would that mean I am able to stay legally after the 60 day grace period?

Probably yes. Strictly speaking, I'm not sure if you are in fact considered to be maintaining valid status from the time 60-day period ends until the school day begins at your next college. During this particular period, you won't have valid F-1 status derived either from the college you completed or the one you are going next.

Try to get your new I-20 before the grace period ends. But you will probably be OK if you couldn't. I wasn't aware that getting a school to issue an I-20 takes such a long time.