ONLY 3 Months at POE

davidso

Hello,

I was in the US for 10 months (4 on J1 and 6 on B2)
I left for two and a half months and yesterday I came back for Business related things

I checked business on the blue customs form on the plane, the guard at POE asked me for how long Im coming I said 4 months (I have a ticket back for Sept)

today I noticed my I-94 stamp says AUG 13 what should I do??

go back to the airport and ask them a reissue?? go the DHS offices in the city?

request an extention? or simply shorten my trip and leave?

Thanks,
David

You can file an extension but it costs you $300 for just filing an extension and you probably won't know the result before you depart in September. You can try any local CBP but they usually correct I-94 only when it is a clear error made by CBP, which, in your case, isn't.

If you intend to come back to the U.S. anyway, shortening your trip and leaving before August 13 is the best way. Next time when you come back, make sure to check your I-94 immediately after an officer returns your passport. This way if you think you weren't given a period of stay you need, you can at least talk to the officer who just inspected your admission.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you mean what passport do I hold? if you mean from which country
than Israel with a B1/B2 visa thats valid until Dec 2014

It seems the admitting officer was not comfortable issuing you a full six month valid I-94. Thus you were given a restricted three month I-94. I would advise you to shorten your trip and leave before the I-94 expires.

if you mean from which country
than Israel with a B1/B2 visa thats valid until Dec 2014

Unless, of course, his company will pay for the extension, right? Is it bad to apply for an extension and then leave before hearing from the government?

That is not why I am advising the OP to leave in a timely fashion. Applying for an EOS on a restricted I-94 will only solidify the suspicion USCIS has. This will make future visas/entries for the OP much more difficult.

Unless, of course, his company will pay for the extension, right?

When Ever You Apply For B1 Entry It Cannot Be More Than 90 Days/3 Months. So It Was Not By Mistake. The Best Thing For You To Do Is Now Just Confirm Your Seat In Your Return Flight And Leave The Country On Or B4 That Date. Next Time Always Go For B2 I.e For Pleasure And Business.

i have myself experienced the same scenerio many many times. The difference in B1 and B2 is business or pleasure. I use to come as B1 and always get 3 month entry. Thats the only reason they ask you on the I-94 that the purpose of your trip is business or pleasure.