October 2011 Filers

...and we just got the production email

Oh, man.

We just got the production email. What a relief. It just came as I was finishing my previous whale of a post.

Not to beat a dad horse but if you want 'lessons' from this story, I'd write:

1. To force yourself to look at the 'big picture' after a challenging interview, try to think about the interview from the IO's perspective. You punch in in the morning, you have to interview, say 5 or 6 nervous couples/families per day, and then you have mounds of paperwork to do afterwards... And then the cycle starts again the following weekday... for the next 20 years (or whatever) until retirement. I bet these IOs can almost immediately distinguish an unprepared, nervous couple from a fraudulent one.

An individual IO probably gets award plaques and minor pay bumps for being good at sniffing out fraud marriages, but also chastised for jumping at 'false positives.' It's likely a substantial waste of government resources to spend 2 hours Stokes interviewing couples who are legitimately married but poorly prepared or just plain nervous. Bottom line, Stokes are probably fairly rare and must originate from some big red flag. You can't eliminate red flags in your application, but you can mitigate them, I guess is what I'm trying to write.

2. These forums are great resources but they can warp your perspective, too. For example, a lot of the people here are very intense and laser-focused on their AoS packets. So the advice and perspective you get are from a very small subset of the AoS population. For example, a lot of people recommend dressing formally ('like for a job interview') for the interview. Looking around the waiting room, I'd say 75% of the people in were in sub-casual-wear. I'm talking baseball hats, jeans, old sneakers and hoodies.

What I'm trying to write, without much success, is that those of us the forum are so attentive to our applications that we stress about details that the average AoS person doesn't even know exists. It's great to be prepared, but there's also a point where over-preparing is harmful or needlessly stressful.

Time for some celebration food. Good luck to everyone!

Contrats!!!!! As I was reading your first post I was like Oh... NOOOOO... But felt relieve after I saw your second post :) I'm glad everything worked for you.

Contrats!!!!! As I was reading your first post I was like Oh... NOOOOO... But felt relieve after I saw your second post :) I'm glad everything worked for you.

Me too, the first post was a pain, at a point, i stopped reading. Anyhow congrats, your wife suppose to be prepared.

What doucments did you present as proof of bonafide marriage???

I was holding my breath the entire time for the first post, and then finally let it out when I saw the second one. Congrats HossDelgado! So happy for you and your wife!

Congrats

Congrats HossDelgado!

I can understand how you might have spent those couple of hours after the interview.

But now its' celebration time !!!

Did you (and others) prepared any kind of checklist/s? If you can, pls share that to help all.

Oh, man.

We just got the production email. What a relief. It just came as I was finishing my previous whale of a post.

Not to beat a dad horse but if you want 'lessons' from this story, I'd write:

1. To force yourself to look at the 'big picture' after a challenging interview, try to think about the interview from the IO's perspective. You punch in in the morning, you have to interview, say 5 or 6 nervous couples/families per day, and then you have mounds of paperwork to do afterwards... And then the cycle starts again the following weekday... for the next 20 years (or whatever) until retirement. I bet these IOs can almost immediately distinguish an unprepared, nervous couple from a fraudulent one.

An individual IO probably gets award plaques and minor pay bumps for being good at sniffing out fraud marriages, but also chastised for jumping at 'false positives.' It's likely a substantial waste of government resources to spend 2 hours Stokes interviewing couples who are legitimately married but poorly prepared or just plain nervous. Bottom line, Stokes are probably fairly rare and must originate from some big red flag. You can't eliminate red flags in your application, but you can mitigate them, I guess is what I'm trying to write.

2. These forums are great resources but they can warp your perspective, too. For example, a lot of the people here are very intense and laser-focused on their AoS packets. So the advice and perspective you get are from a very small subset of the AoS population. For example, a lot of people recommend dressing formally ('like for a job interview') for the interview. Looking around the waiting room, I'd say 75% of the people in were in sub-casual-wear. I'm talking baseball hats, jeans, old sneakers and hoodies.

What I'm trying to write, without much success, is that those of us the forum are so attentive to our applications that we stress about details that the average AoS person doesn't even know exists. It's great to be prepared, but there's also a point where over-preparing is harmful or needlessly stressful.

Time for some celebration food. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats @HossDelgado.....there was light at the end of the tunnel. You're going to look back at this someday and say it was all worth it.

Oct Filers are going great

@HossDelgado CONGRATS!!!!!!

You got me worried there for a second... well actually more than a second, as I was trying to read through your 1st post. But in the end you got a positive outcome. That's what counts. Time to relax!

Thanks again, all

Thanks everyone for the kind words and congrats.

FYI, online status updated today from 'card production' to 'decision.' It's weird to see the status move from far right bubble to mid-bubble, but it sounds like everything is progressing normally.

Answers to some of the questions that you guys asked:

@Cliff2
"What doucments did you present as proof of bonafide marriage?"

In the AoS we provided the following:
1. Marriage certificate from civil authority (copy)
2. Joint statements:
- Cable bill (Time Warner usu doesn't put 2 names on account, but someone muffed up and added both names by going nuts with the 'middle name' field- score!)
- Gas bill
- Electricity bill
- Checking statement
- Lease for apartment
3. Photos
- 30, printed 6 per page on 8.5" x 11" photo paper
- The photos covered 5 years, a few countries, several different cities. We had a few photos showing us with both sets of parents.

At the interview I gave them:
1. Health insurance card with both names listed
- We're uninsured right now, so I just signed up for one month of the cheapest month to month insurance I could find (through my grad school's alumni association) just to get both our names on something. It was like $360/month with an insane deductible- I think $5,000. It's sad that in the US this qualifies as 'inexpensive' insurance.

@BetterWorld
"Did you (and others) prepared any kind of checklist/s?"

Yes! A good place to start is the coverletter suggested in the DIY AoS thread. The coverletters that are linked from that thread have document lists that you can copy and paste into a checklist: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?288201-How-to-Apply-for-a-Green-Card-Do-it-Yourself

I also pasted the list into an excel document to track documents as I acquired them. Each document we were going to include was on its own row. Documents I had were highlighted green, ones I didn't have were highlighted red, and ones that were on the way were highlighted in yellow. I could link a copy, I guess, but I think it's best to make a list that makes sense for you. Excel works for me, but multicolored spreadsheets probably aren't for everyone.

Thanks again for all the support, guys. It's been great having a tight knit community to blab too. I'm sure people who aren't familiar with this process can't imagine what it's like having such a big part of the future out of your hands. Wishing you all friendly IOs and speedy GCs in 2012!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man...

I was holding my breath for long stretches too! I think I might've caused permanent brain damage from oxygen deprivation. :eek:

I think I still owe you a beer- next time I'm in DC!

I was holding my breath the entire time for the first post, and then finally let it out when I saw the second one. Congrats HossDelgado! So happy for you and your wife!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was holding my breath for long stretches too! I think I might've caused permanent brain damage from oxygen deprivation. :eek:

I think I still owe you a beer- next time I'm in DC!

I thought we talked about this before. I had said Patron, not beer. Hehe
So glad we're all moving forward.

I want to retract something I said a few weeks ago about the social security card. It appears that the social security card given to folks with legal status here (visas) (like the one I got when I was F-1) is the same thing as the card given to permanent residents.

With this new info I should have just gone to apply for my replacement social security card (because I had lost it a few years ago) once I had gotten my EAD so that when I got my green card I could have just gone to DMV to look about my learner's permit. So because I waited till I got my green card to do it, I've lost some time.

Ah well, it's not the worst thing that can happen but it's like you want to slap yourself when you find these things out.

Interview Experience!

(Sorry I do not have my timeline)

My interview experience...

My wife and I were scheduled to appear today (02/01/2012) at 9:30 AM.; We arrived at 9:05 am and gave the notice to the clerk and were told to wait. At aroun 9:45 am the IO called my name and took us in to the room. She swore us in and started to conduct the interview.

We have two kids, my oldest is in school and we did not find a babysitter to take care of our 2 year old girl so we had no choice but to take her with us.

The IO seemed upset because my little girl was making noise, and she asked if the girl was ours, we replied yes.

The IO started going through her file and looked at my wife and told her to wait outside, because she couldn't concentrate as my little girl was still making noises. (At that moment I thought to myself "oh crap she is going to interview separately")

My wife stepped outside and the IO asked me the YES/NO questions from I-485. She asked for joint assets and liabilities and I only provided - Bank Statements (joint account), auto insurance policy, tax returns for the last three years (that is all we have together) I told her that we had credit cards and other stuff but we canceled so we had no paper trail on those, she said "OK". I asked her if she needed to see any pictures (we had 4 photo albums) and IO replied "No, I don't need to see them". She asked to see our kids birth certificates and asked me for my I-94. She took my I-94 and stapled it to her paperwork.

She then told me that my case was approved and to wait for my card in 2 to 4 weeks. I asked her "so you don't need to ask my wife anything?" she replied "No, we are done". I asked if I get any type of document saying my case was approved but she said just to wait for the card. She did tell me that she needed to do an update on my fingerprints, she said that they pass but she was doing another update.

I thanked her and walked out.

I was surprised that the interview lasted around 15 - 20 min and my was wasn't even in the room.

I think when any couple already has a child from the marriage in question, they should not call the couple for the interview for obvious reasons...:D

Rather Green Card should be mailed to them right after they inform about new addition to their family. :)

BTW, i don't know your earlier posts...Is this child from your current marriage?
(Just curious...its okay to not to answer if i have asked something which i should not.)

LOL, exactly. I think taking our child with us helped. No doubt.

I received my corrected plastic GC yesterday!!! (the previous one had an error).

My next immigration step will be in 3 years (minus 90 days), which is the earliest date when I can apply for naturalization. I got a 10-year GC since my wife and I have been married more than 2 years.

Wow, what a roller coaster ride it has been, as I'm sure it has been for many of us. I remain hopeful that all of us will be green, so we can go on with our lives and become productive citizens.

I think when any couple already has a child from the marriage in question, they should not call the couple for the interview for obvious reasons...:D

Rather Green Card should be mailed to them right after they inform about new addition to their family. :)

BTW, i don't know your earlier posts...Is this child from your current marriage?
(Just curious...its okay to not to answer if i have asked something which i should not.)

Yes both our kids are from same marriage. :D

I received my corrected plastic GC yesterday!!! (the previous one had an error).

My next immigration step will be in 3 years (minus 90 days), which is the earliest date when I can apply for naturalization. I got a 10-year GC since my wife and I have been married more than 2 years.

Wow, what a roller coaster ride it has been, as I'm sure it has been for many of us. I remain hopeful that all of us will be green, so we can go on with our lives and become productive citizens.

Yes, that is a good news, The nexy thing for you should be a smooth ride. Thank got i am done too dealing with the immegraton.

GC arrived today

Hello all,

Just wanted to give an update- the wife's GC came today, so she's done [for 2 years]!

Thanks to everyone in the community for the advice and support. Wishing you all friendly IOs and speedy GCs!