October 2011 Filers

I think Jackolantern may be right when it was said that I like to worry because now I'm fretting over what to wear. I was going to wear a black turtleneck sweater dress with tights and black flat knee high boots but I feel that is too casual so I will be going to buy a "job interview" type outfit later today.
Has any past filer had trouble with their attire at interview? Did the IO scold you?

Perhaps it is better to err on the side of too formal rather than on too casual. But maybe not little-black-cocktail-dress formal ;-)

@Marinewife
I know you can't help feeling stressed out (I know I couldn't help it). Just bank on the fact that you are well prepared. Best of luck tomorrow and bring us good news!

I think Jackolantern may be right when it was said that I like to worry because now I'm fretting over what to wear. I was going to wear a black turtleneck sweater dress with tights and black flat knee high boots but I feel that is too casual so I will be going to buy a "job interview" type outfit later today.
Has any past filer had trouble with their attire at interview? Did the IO scold you?

I know that dressing too casual is definitely a problem as is dressing too formal. Just not sure where my original outfit idea fits (whether too casual or just right), so I guess I'll just buy a new get-up (outfit)

Other than that, my nerves are in shambles. This is truly a stressful process. I can't wait for it to be over, seriously. I have gathered all documents and photos etc and just awaiting Friday now.

How's everyone doing? Any news?
I was also like you when I was preparing for the interview. I was going through the documents over and over. And I had another folder with "secondary documents" that are not very important but in case nothing is in "primary documents" to support my answer, I could maybe have some secondary document to prove a minor detail. And after gathering all the documents, I would rehearse where exactly they are in my folder, so I could easily grab a particular document whenever asked for. So, I memorized all the documents I had with me and how they are arranged in my folders. I was thinking that if the IO asks me, "Do you have anything that can prove that?", I could quickly answer yes/no, and fish the document from my folder.

It was a bit crazy and what you're feeling -- I completely understand and I can relate :) You have gathered all the documents you need and you have your husband with you during that interview. Don't worry too much.

Good luck!

Take a deep breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out....Repeat 20 times when sitting in the waiting room and you will be fine :D:D

I know that dressing too casual is definitely a problem as is dressing too formal. Just not sure where my original outfit idea fits (whether too casual or just right), so I guess I'll just buy a new get-up (outfit)

Other than that, my nerves are in shambles. This is truly a stressful process. I can't wait for it to be over, seriously. I have gathered all documents and photos etc and just awaiting Friday now.

How's everyone doing? Any news?

Good luck tomorrow, MarineWife! I'm sure you will be laughing at yourself tomorrow after the interview for worrying too much!
No news for us. Still in "initial review".

A great big sincere THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to wish me well in my interview. I appreciate it all so much. I swear I still feel like a kid going to the dentist for an extraction but I am keeping these two phrases on replay in my brain. Per ardua ad astra. The prize is worth the pain. As soon as I get back home I will let you all know how it went.

A great big sincere THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to wish me well in my interview. I appreciate it all so much. I swear I still feel like a kid going to the dentist for an extraction but I am keeping these two phrases on replay in my brain. Per ardua ad astra. The prize is worth the pain. As soon as I get back home I will let you all know how it went.

@ MarineWife,

Congratulations in advance....as I'm positive that your interview will be successful. Bring home the good news.

You know the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? It exists!

Even though I've only been approved of conditional residency, it remains that I was APPROVED! I have never lived through a 3 months as long as this. The stress, the tears, the worrying, the laughs, the blow ups (I miss Lazhy), the smiles had after opening my mailbox containing INS mail and/or seeing an update on that not-so-reliable USCIS website. It was a hell of an ordeal but I survived!

Yesterday, after I had double checked all my documents that I had prepared, I was listening to music and a song from my country started playing and I cried for almost half an hour straight. I have only been out of status for 2 years but I haven't seen my country in 6 years and I started to get nervous that if I was denied that that would prolong me seeing my homeland. I thought of everything that I've gone through in the past few years struggling in America just to get by when I could have been living comfortably in my country BUT America was (and is) where I wanted/want to be. This is where I've grown to love, so being approved (even conditionally) for residency here in the U.S was one of the four best experiences of my entire life. One was was my divorce from my last husband (I jumped for joy for an hour straight when it was granted), one was getting married to my current husband (I was in bliss for an entire month) and the last was when I graduated with my first Bachelor's degree.

You know nerves and emotions are terrible things. Last night of all nights, a huge argument erupted between me and my husband. It was crazy because usually we tend to avoid arguments but I guess we both were on edge and the smallest thing ended up nearly turning into World War 3. Luckily, we slept it off and woke up in better spirits to face and conquer the interview. I am ELATED that this part of the process is over.
As for attire, I ended up wearing a career black pair of pants, a purple long sleeve turtle neck sweater and black flats. Not sure if that was too casual but the IO didn't make mention of it, so I guess it was acceptable.

Again, I took one album of wedding and honeymoon weekend photos and another album of a combination of photos from family get-togethers, random trips (one was a day we went to an amusement park) and date-night photos. I had one folder with I-30 and supporting documents, one folder with I-485 and I-765 and their supporting documents, one folder with I-864, W-2s, tax transcripts, 2010 H&R Block Tax Return Copy and his LES (Leave and Earning Statements) for last 6 months and finally in a giant envelope, I had utility bills, bank statements, Copy of lease, letter from housing office attesting that we both live at our current residence. I also took my passport, my EAD, both of our birth certificates, his military I.D, his DL, my BA diploma, our marriage certificate, my divorce decree and my court disposition from my petit theft case in 2003.
Interview: We got there around 1145. Gave our interview letter and waited to be called. I'm not even sure what time it was when we were called as we had left our phones in the car. I know we were out of the building at 154pm. Our interview was scheduled for 1pm.

She swore us in and told us where to sit. She basically ran through the questions from the I-13o first to my husband (petitioner) and then from the I-485 to me. After that she asked about our supporting documents. Which we handed over one by one. She asked for photo albums last and we had a couple laughs in between. She took about 8 of them to be copied and after that she said "I'm gonna go ahead and approve you" and I smiled. She explained that residency was granted because of the marriage and then talked about filing the removal of conditions. She printed a letter stating my approval and explanation of removal of conditions. I asked her about the stamp. She said they don't do that anymore but my GC should be with me within 2 weeks. She told us to wait in the waiting room which we did, until she brought back our photos she had taken to be copied.

I want to wish everyone the best of luck. I want you all to be successful. I will continue to check here and give advice because this forum has definitely been a source of information, encouragement and motivation. I want to thank all my fellow October Filers who went through this process with me. Those whose interview is yet to come, I say "Claim that Green Card. It is yours!" I also want to thank all the filers who went before me for their invaluable advice. What I have learned here was so much cheaper and better than paying a lawyer.

If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask! I'll still be checking in daily.

I am happy for you. Your candor in your postings is refreshing tho I knew you were worrying too much. Now the next thing is to put that green card to use lol. In the three years before my approval, number of international trips=0000.0. In the three months since I was approved, I've been on two trips already. Work that green card baby!

Even though I've only been approved of conditional residency, it remains that I was APPROVED! I have never lived through a 3 months as long as this. The stress, the tears, the worrying, the laughs, the blow ups (I miss Lazhy), the smiles had after opening my mailbox containing INS mail and/or seeing an update on that not-so-reliable USCIS website. It was a hell of an ordeal but I survived!

If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask! I'll still be checking in daily.

I want to wish everyone the best of luck. I want you all to be successful. I will continue to check here and give advice because this forum has definitely been a source of information, encouragement and motivation. I want to thank all my fellow October Filers who went through this process with me. Those whose interview is yet to come, I say "Claim that Green Card. It is yours!" I also want to thank all the filers who went before me for their invaluable advice. What I have learned here was so much cheaper and better than paying a lawyer.

Congrats!!! Glad to know, Marinewife. Good luck in the rest of your ventures! Take care!

Hahaha I miss you too...congratulations again. I am happy for you. I think you are the 3rd to get green among Oct filers......despite thinking you'll be the last. Remember our trip? We're waiting for the rest to turn green and we can go rock that beach.

Yesterday, after I had double checked all my documents that I had prepared, I was listening to music and a song from my country started playing and I cried for almost half an hour straight. I have only been out of status for 2 years but I haven't seen my country in 6 years and I started to get nervous that if I was denied that that would prolong me seeing my homeland. I thought of everything that I've gone through in the past few years struggling in America just to get by when I could have been living comfortably in my country BUT America was (and is) where I wanted/want to be. This is where I've grown to love, so being approved (even conditionally) for residency here in the U.S was one of the four best experiences of my entire life. One was was my divorce from my last husband (I jumped for joy for an hour straight when it was granted), one was getting married to my current husband (I was in bliss for an entire month) and the last was when I graduated with my first Bachelor's degree.

You know nerves and emotions are terrible things. Last night of all nights, a huge argument erupted between me and my husband. It was crazy because usually we tend to avoid arguments but I guess we both were on edge and the smallest thing ended up nearly turning into World War 3. Luckily, we slept it off and woke up in better spirits to face and conquer the interview. I am ELATED that this part of the process is over.
As for attire, I ended up wearing a career black pair of pants, a purple long sleeve turtle neck sweater and black flats. Not sure if that was too casual but the IO didn't make mention of it, so I guess it was acceptable.

Again, I took one album of wedding and honeymoon weekend photos and another album of a combination of photos from family get-togethers, random trips (one was a day we went to an amusement park) and date-night photos. I had one folder with I-30 and supporting documents, one folder with I-485 and I-765 and their supporting documents, one folder with I-864, W-2s, tax transcripts, 2010 H&R Block Tax Return Copy and his LES (Leave and Earning Statements) for last 6 months and finally in a giant envelope, I had utility bills, bank statements, Copy of lease, letter from housing office attesting that we both live at our current residence. I also took my passport, my EAD, both of our birth certificates, his military I.D, his DL, my BA diploma, our marriage certificate, my divorce decree and my court disposition from my petit theft case in 2003.
Interview: We got there around 1145. Gave our interview letter and waited to be called. I'm not even sure what time it was when we were called as we had left our phones in the car. I know we were out of the building at 154pm. Our interview was scheduled for 1pm.

She swore us in and told us where to sit. She basically ran through the questions from the I-13o first to my husband (petitioner) and then from the I-485 to me. After that she asked about our supporting documents. Which we handed over one by one. She asked for photo albums last and we had a couple laughs in between. She took about 8 of them to be copied and after that she said "I'm gonna go ahead and approve you" and I smiled. She explained that residency was granted because of the marriage and then talked about filing the removal of conditions. She printed a letter stating my approval and explanation of removal of conditions. I asked her about the stamp. She said they don't do that anymore but my GC should be with me within 2 weeks. She told us to wait in the waiting room which we did, until she brought back our photos she had taken to be copied.

@Marinewife
Congratulation!!! Am happy for you.

Yes @DeeZee 3 for 3! Thanks so much for all the encouragement along the way

@Sweet15 Thank you dear. I'll be cheering you on as you continue on the journey. The best is yet to come. Thank you for all the reassurance you've provided and we must stay in touch!

@skoja Thank you! I'll be making the most of this weekend celebrating this good news!

@ananga73 I know. I'm quite the worrywart. Thank you for all your responses over the months. I want to be like you soon. International trip after trip. I cannot wait to leave the U.S. As soon as I get my card in hand, I might just take a quick trip to Canada just to cross the border. Freedom!

@HH401 Thank you!!!!! I appreciate the well wishes!

@Lazhy How can I forget. Hahahaha. I guess you were right after all. It did not take as long as I claimed it would have. I'm glad we got past that riff and can now smile about it. Thanks for looking past my hostility then and continuing to wish me only good things. That is truly appreciated! And yes, I can't wait for the rest of the bus to join us so we can all parrrtttaayyyyy!

@Cliff2 Thank you and best of luck on your journey too

@id0mu Thank you! I'll be looking out for your progress. Best wishes!

To everyone else. Remember 2012 is OUR year!!!! We're all going to go GREEN. And at the end, all the ups and downs, stress, tears and even heartaches is/will be more than worth it!!!

Cheers to my wonderful weekend. Off to mix a drink and kick my feet up!

Congrats!

Congrats!

It sounds like everything went perfectly.

My wife feels similarly to how you felt pre-GC- she's been out of status for a few months but has been itching to visit her family. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it is to have in the back of your mind that you can't travel out of the country (or even within the US if you're very paranoid about over-zealous TSA peeps). Hope you and the husband have a well-deserved celebration!

Congrats!

It sounds like everything went perfectly.

My wife feels similarly to how you felt pre-GC- she's been out of status for a few months but has been itching to visit her family. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it is to have in the back of your mind that you can't travel out of the country (or even within the US if you're very paranoid about over-zealous TSA peeps). Hope you and the husband have a well-deserved celebration!

Thank you so much! Yup, I remember I had to visit another state and because I was nervous of those TSA folks, I took the train for 18 hours instead of taking a plane ride that would have been 2 hours. I did that several times. I'm so glad that mess is over for me (and soon for the rest of you guys) because it's no fun to live like that. Your interview is in 2 weeks so I'm wishing you GREAT luck on that! You guys will be ok! Can't wait to hear the good news!

I slept and remembered some questions other than the ones from the forms that the IO had. My IO was a Hispanic looking lady about early to mid 30s, hair slick back in a ponytail. Wearing a black pants suit and heels and somewhat attractive (I know none of that matters)

* How did you meet? (I asked "Who do you prefer to answer?" and she said "Either of you" and my spouse and I were looking at each other and then I said "You go, I'll finish your sentences" The IO laughed)

* When she asked about my when previous marriage ended I gave her the date but I went on to explain that the relationship itself for that marriage was short-lived and only because my ex didn't want to pay for the divorce fees, I prolonged it until I could accumulate the funds to do it on my own) She also asked if my EX was a citizen or permanent resident. I answered permanent resident

* She asked about my F-1 status. (That I came to the country as one) She was like when did you come in as F-1. I told her Aug 2002. She asked "Where you F-1 all this time?" I explained that I went out of status in 2009 and she asked why? So I explained that I got my first Bachelor's and then started a second degree program but in somewhere in between that, I couldn't afford paying the tuition anymore and I didn't know that the time frame for not attending school was so short and would put me out of status.

* She asked if since I've been out of status have I had any trips outside of the U.S. I answered No. She asked "Other than the petit larceny that was dismissed, have you ever been arrested for any crime?" I answered No.

*Some supervisor (black lady) came in and started going through the paperwork and then turned to me and asked me "M'am what's your husband's rank in the Marine Corps" I answered what it was and that he was recently promoted. Then she turned to my IO and said "This is a military case so it's done a little differently" and my IO asked "I'm so sorry, I didn't know. Would you like to take it?" and then the supervisor said "I can't right now but let me know if anything comes up" ----- She left and the IO continued the interview. BUT she did come back 10 minutes later to hover for about 5 minutes.

*She asked about our supporting documents: We gave her the copies of our bank statements, I had also printed out our account summary (online) with itemized spending, a copy of all the cheques we've written (I usually sign them cuz I am the one who deals with the bills etc), we gave her Verizon bills and one Cox (another cable company bill) She asked why we had two cable companies. I explained that when we first moved in Verizon was on strike so we couldn't get Fios so we went with Cox and then Verizon came off strike so we cancelled Cox and went to Verizon. She laughed at this. She asked about the lease, so I explained why I was on the lease just as an occupant and she also asked why I wasn't on his health insurance (or enrolled in DEERS) (this was when the supervisor was there) I explained that I need to have a SS card to be enrolled and sicne I had no legal presence, I wouldn't get a new card (as I had lost my old card) so therefore I couldn't be enrolled. BUT later she did mention that I should take care of this to show bonafide marriage when time comes to do removal of conditions

*She asked my hubby when will he be PCS-ing again. He was explaining about having to re-enlist because his time is up soon and she asked if he really wants to re-enlist. He said he's trying to but they're downsizing.

*We kept the photos that she copied separated so we could just know what she chose. It turned out to be 14 and not 8 like I said before. She took 5 from wedding and honeymoon and 9 from regular life. One including me and his grandmother. One with me and his uncle. One with him and my mother. One with him and me after I had just had surgery (sinus) (he had brought me a teddy bear and balloon). One of us at the amusement park and a few other regular ones.

She kinda flipped through the half way mark of the album so she missed our Thanksgiving family photos. Christmas photos etc but no biggie. She didn't want to see our greeting cards to each other over the period of time. She didn't ask sooo many of the questions were had so diligently prepared for. No "what side of the bed does he sleep" "What color is his toothbrush?" You know, those types of questions. She spent a good amount of time flipping through our files so I'd the say the interview was probably about 30 minutes long.

She also encouraged us to keep gathering documents to show when we file I-751. She said they are a little stricter then because in 2 years time we should have had enough time to gather more (and better) evidence to show bonafide marriage.

When I remember more, I'll be sure to write but I think that's about it.

congratssssssssssss marinewife
wish u all the best in rest of 2012
I have a question.did the IO go through your submitted forms or the copy ones that u had with urself?
thanks