October 2009 N-400 Tracker

Is this normal ?

There is somewhere in my Interview Letter that said "the proceeding will take about 2 hours. if for any reason you cannot keep this appointment, return this letter immediately to the USCIS office address listed below with your explanation......Is this normal or just the standard terms of all interview letters. I read some folks get done at interview in 10, 20 minutes. Guys with interview letters, respond pls.

There is somewhere in my Interview Letter that said "the proceeding will take about 2 hours. if for any reason you cannot keep this appointment, return this letter immediately to the USCIS office address listed below with your explanation......Is this normal or just the standard terms of all interview letters. I read some folks get done at interview in 10, 20 minutes. Guys with interview letters, respond pls.

That's the standard. It says that for all interviews.

Hello All,

Finished my interview today and the oath is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10 AM. Interview process was very smooth, USCIS officer verified the details in my application and then she took the verbal and written test. Then she asked me the following questions:

Who is the commander in chief.
Which party does the president belong too.
Who was the first president.
Name one state that borders Mexico.
Name any 3 states from the original 13 states.
Name one US territory.

That's it! She said congratulations and gave me the N-445 (Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony) with the oath date: 12/31/09 @ 10 AM.

Now I'm just waiting for the oath....what a way to end 2009....I am going to party hard tomorrow :).

All the best to everyone in the forum.
------------------------------------
DO: Fairfax, VA
10/09/09: N-400 Mailed Lewisville, TX
10/12/09: N-400 Received
10/19/09: PD
10/22/09: NOA date
10/23/09: Check cashed
10/29/09: FP notice date
11/13/09: FP appointment
11/30/09: IL date
12/02/09: YL received
12/30/09: ID
12/31/09: OD

Hello All,

Finished my interview today and the oath is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10 AM. Interview process was very smooth, USCIS officer verified the details in my application and then she took the verbal and written test. Then she asked me the following questions:

Who is the commander in chief.
Which party does the president belong too.
Who was the first president.
Name one state that borders Mexico.
Name any 3 states from the original 13 states.
Name one US territory.\

That's it! She said congratulations and gave me the N-445 (Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony) with the oath date: 12/31/09 @ 10 AM.

Now I'm just waiting for the oath....what a way to end 2009....I am going to party hard tomorrow :).

All the best to everyone in the forum.
------------------------------------
DO: Fairfax, VA
10/09/09: N-400 Mailed Lewisville, TX
10/12/09: N-400 Received
10/19/09: PD
10/22/09: NOA date
10/23/09: Check cashed
10/29/09: FP notice date
11/13/09: FP appointment
11/30/09: IL date
12/02/09: YL received
12/30/09: ID
12/31/09: OD

Wish u a very HAPPY NEW YEAR & Congrulation for becoming US CITIZEN.
Finally u r out of this race.u won the race.now u can celebrate tonight,without tension.once again best of luck

I had my Interview on Jan 5th - a very pleasant experience and here are the details:

As we enter USCIS:

We had to drop our Interview letters in the tray.

I saw a lady collecting interview letters, taking the files out and keeping the files ready and interviewing Officers were getting hold of files and calling the N-400 applicants based on the file/interview letter.

I was interviewed by a lady who was nice and sweet. She walked with me to her office, explained me the process briefly and the ususal oath was done first.

Then she asked for Passport, Green Card and Driver's License.
She obtained my signature on the photographs that were sent alongwith N-400 earlier.

Immediately after that she said she would ask me the questions first

Questions asked -

1. What did the declaration of independence do

(declared our independence from GB)

2. Name one branch or part of the govt

(Executive - others being legilature and Judiciary)

3. We elect US Senator for how many years

(six years)

4. If both President and VP can no longer serve, who becomes President

the Speaker of the House

5. What does the president's cabinet do

(Advises the President)

6. When must all men register for selective service

between eighteen (18) and twenty-six (26)

She said I was supposed to answer 6 questionscorrectly, which I did so I passed that part and that she does not have to ask any more questions in that category.

Next she moved on to the English test Read the sentence- When is Columbus Day? and write the sentence - Columbus day is in Oct.

Once we were done with the above, she quickly ran through the N-400 applications, ran through almost all the questions from there, like checking it once again with me, then she verified some details of visits outside US with entries in my passport - everything appeared OK and she informed me that I passed the test and interview and that I should wait for about an hour to collect Oath Ceremony letter.

Briefly thats what happened - it was a very pleasant interview experience and it laster roughly about 1.5 to 2 hours.

We collected the Oath Ceremony letter and came back home happily.

I thank everyone on this forum - contribution on this forum was immensely helpful in preparing for all the steps.

Now getting ready for the Oath Ceremony - GLTA

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Interview on Jan 5th - a very pleasant experience and here are the details:

As we enter USCIS:

We had to drop our Interview letters in the tray.

I saw a lady collecting interview letters, taking the files out and keeping the files ready and interviewing Officers were getting hold of files and calling the N-400 applicants based on the file/interview letter.

I was interviewed by a lady who was nice and sweet. She walked with me to her office, explained me the process briefly and the ususal oath was done first.

Then she asked for Passport, Green Card and Driver's License.
She obtained my signature on the photographs that were sent alongwith N-400 earlier.

Immediately after that she said she would ask me the questions first

Questions asked -

1. What did the declaration of independence do

(declared our independence from GB)

2. Name one branch or part of the govt

(Executive - others being legilature and Judiciary)

3. We elect US Senator for how many years

(six years)

4. If both President and VP can no longer serve, who becomes President

the Speaker of the House

5. What does the president's cabinet do

(Advises the President)

6. When must all men register for selective service

between eighteen (18) and twenty-six (26)

She said I was supposed to answer 6 questionscorrectly, which I did so I passed that part and that she does not have to ask any more questions in that category.

Next she moved on to the English test Read the sentence- When is Columbus Day? and write the sentence - Columbus day is in Oct.

Once we were done with the above, she quickly ran through the N-400 applications, ran through almost all the questions from there, like checking it once again with me, then she verified some details of visits outside US with entries in my passport - everything appeared OK and she informed me that I passed the test and interview and that I should wait for about an hour to collect Oath Ceremony letter.

Briefly thats what happened - it was a very pleasant interview experience and it laster roughly about 1.5 to 2 hours.

We collected the Oath Ceremony letter and came back home happily.

I thank everyone on this forum - contribution on this forum was immensely helpful in preparing for all the steps.

Now getting ready for the Oath Ceremony - GLTA

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! Glad things went so well for you!

A question about the duration of the experience. 1-5 to 2 hours INCLUDING the waiting for the Oath Ceremony letter?

In the reading and writing portion...Did the interviewer ask you to read "When is Columbus day"? or did she just ask you the question and you had to write the question and the answer?

Thanks for your help:)

Interview Canceled (To be Rescheduled)

My Interview was scheduled for tomorrow 14 Jan 2010 @ 9:30 AM in Lawrence, MA

I just received a voicemail and e-mail from Lawrence USCIS Office stating that they have to cancel my Naturalization Interview and have to reschedule it later.

The Reason was that due to their Computer Error, my Interview was wrongly scheduled before my 5th year GC anniversary and according to Law they cannot schedule an interview before my (5th year anniversary + 1 day)

They said that they would be sending me an interview letter with a rescheduled date within the next 2 weeks

Updated status
-------------------------------------
10/27/2009 : Mailed to Lewisville, TX
10/29/2009 : Received
11/02/2009 : Check Cashed
11/02/2009 : Priority Date
11/09/2009 : Received Notice of Action
11/13/2009 : Recieved Fingerprint Letter
11/23/2009 : FP Date (done as scheduled)
12/09/2009 : Got Email Alert: Case sent for standard interview
12/12/2009 : Date of Interview Letter Received
01/12/2010 : Interview Date (done and passed)
xx/xx/20xx : Oath Letter Received
xx/xx/20xx : Oath

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! Glad things went so well for you!

A question about the duration of the experience. 1-5 to 2 hours INCLUDING the waiting for the Oath Ceremony letter?

In the reading and writing portion...Did the interviewer ask you to read "When is Columbus day"? or did she just ask you the question and you had to write the question and the answer?

Thanks for your help:)

hi w124 - 1.5 to 2 hours including waiting for interview, interview process and waiting for Oath letter. Interview itself was hardly 20 minutes.

I was asked to read the sentence I about Columbus day from a paper she had and I was asked to write the sentence I about Columbus day from the same paper.

Hope this helps - good luck to you

Almost there...
-------------------------------------
10/27/2009 : Mailed to Lewisville, TX
10/29/2009 : Received
11/02/2009 : Check Cashed
11/02/2009 : Priority Date
11/09/2009 : Received Notice of Action
11/13/2009 : Recieved Fingerprint Letter
11/23/2009 : FP Date (done as scheduled)
12/09/2009 : Got Email Alert: Case sent for standard interview
12/12/2009 : Date of Interview Letter Received
01/12/2010 : Interview Date (done and passed)
01/14/2010 : Oath Letter Received
02/17/2010 : Oath

hi w124 - 1.5 to 2 hours including waiting for interview, interview process and waiting for Oath letter. Interview itself was hardly 20 minutes.

I was asked to read the sentence I about Columbus day from a paper she had and I was asked to write the sentence I about Columbus day from the same paper.

Hope this helps - good luck to you

Great, thanks! and again, Congrats!:)

Euphoria to be U.S.A Citizen!!!

Many thanks to all forum members for sharing their experience and experts for their guidence, moderators and et al for supporting this wonderful forum

This forum has provided wealth of information and made N-400 filing & understanding process a piece of cake

Received IL letter today, scheduled on 01/19/2010

10/22/09: Mailed via USPS express mail to...

10/22/09: Mailed via USPS express mail to Lewisville, TX
10/27/09: Check cashed
10/27/09: Priority Date
10/29/09 : Date of Notice of Action
11/10/09 : Date of Fingerprint Letter
12/01/09 - FP appoint dt & FP done dt
12/07/09 - Standard Interview
12/09/09 - IL received
01/19/10 - IL date
01/19/10 - Interview and Oath completed
01/19/10 - Prod Citizen of U.S.A - Cheers!!!

Now I would like to apply GC for my wife via my citizenship. Her GC -employment based- is not yet approved and it would take more than 3 years because GC priority date is 2004.

Would like to know forum's experts opinion on how to move on this?

1. Should I apply the 1-131 first and then notify USCIS to cancel the employment based GC application once I receive the receipt for GC application applied via citizenship.

Or

Does the USCIS automatically cancel the old application once they see the new application?