OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Our Journey ends - Hopefully do not have to deal with Indian Consulate for next 10 years....

Embasssy Recieved Packet on 28-JUN- 2010
Date Of Acknowledgment 08-JUL-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 10-JUL-2010
Registration Status Granted On 14-JUL-2010
Documents Printed On 16-JUL-2010
Documents Dispatched on 19-JUL-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 04-AUG-2010
Passport recieved by Washington on 11-Aug-2010
Passports received with OCI Card on 18-Aug-2010

Wow!!! That is wonderful news from many of you. Congratulations and glad that the journey is over for you all.

Linux, you are getting there... Hang in for a week or two...

I am planning to go to the embassy in person this Friday to hand over my photos after the "Photo/Signature - Rejected" status. My wife and kid have their status as "Documents dispatched to mission on Aug-13-2010". Not received in DC.

Looking at others who got their docs from Delhi, there doesn't appear to be a pattern on how long it takes for the docs to travel from Delhi to DC:):)

Best wishes,
V!

Just found that the OCI docs for my wife and kid have reached DC today Aug-18-2010.
As I am planning to go in person to provide my photos on Friday, I will carry their original US PP et al and see what they can do for them. Worst case, I will end up going to mail counter and mail the PPs - if they insist they cannot accept the PPs in person....

Stay tuned.... and good luck to all of us waiting.....

gc4us - would really be helpful to know your experience - as to what the consulate says if they are willing to accept US PPs in person once OCI's reach DC consulate. Please keep us posted. I shall also plan accordingly ..
Dont know if it will help, but please do carry the print out from FAQs section which says that you can.

Thanks for the note linux. I forgot about that. I will take a printout of the paragraph that mentions the "in person" stamping with me as well.

In my family's case, it was a 5 day trip from Delhi to DC:):) Not sure how they are going to handle my photo requirements.... If they scan and send it to Delhi it will be good...... I remember something of that sort for Chicago or Houston folks.... Otherwise, it will be going with some of the OCI packets in the next batch:(:(

Cheers!!!
V!

Status update:

7/21/2010 - Mailed SC and OCI applications
7/22/2010 - Received by DC Consulate
8/09/2010 - Acknowledged by DC Consulate
8/10/2010 - Photo/Signature Scanned
8/10/2010 - Registration Status: Under Process
8/16/2010 - Registration Status: Granted
8/17/2010 - Documents Printed
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
8/19/2010 - Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office

linuxrox - hope your docs get dispatched soon too. Looks like we are neck to neck :)

Looks like the rules have changed again. You no longer have to get the SC done FIRST before submitting the OCI application. Once again, you are being allowed to send the SC application and the OCI app in the same package.

Looks like the rules have changed again. You no longer have to get the SC done FIRST before submitting the OCI application. Once again, you are being allowed to send the SC application and the OCI app in the same package.

When I was thinking of applying (End of June), we could apply for them SC and OCI together.. I think the rules are not consistent between the consulates. DC accepts both the applications together where as NY consulate requires SC before accepting OCI application.

They might have done to manage the pipeline at the individual consulates...

Yes, they were accepting both when I applied (July21st). Then they changed the rules the next day. Now it is back to accepting both in the same packet. Saiba! I hope it stays the same now for the sanity of those who have yet to apply. Sending both in the same packet is actually so much easier and efficient.

What happened to the refund of $155 ?

What happened to the refund of $155 ?
Thousands of us were stripped off $175 for Surrender certificate and then the consulate reduced the fee $20. Consulate mentioned that they would only refund the fee based on the decision by Govt. Of India.

Any decision taken? What is the status of the refunds? Appreciate your response.

One more update!
My Timeline Update:
Applied for SC in person: July 26th
Picked up SC in person: July 29th
Despatched OCI packet: July 31st
Packet received in D.C (signed by P Anchula): August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 10th 2010. (regn status: under process)
Photo/Signature: Scanned (Aug 11)
Registration Status: Granted: 17 Aug
Documents Printing Status: Printed 17 Aug
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 19-AUG-2010

So yes, it is drawing close!

That is wonderful news linux. It should reach DC in a week's time.
Due to "unexpected" visitors/deadlines at work, could not make it to the DC Mandir:(:(.... I am hoping that all will be clear for a visit on Monday. I will post the results on Monday.

Enjoy the weekend!!!

All done with a small glitch.

I have received the passports on Friday. I was concerned whether they will remember to send my Indian passports along with the US passports. They mailed every thing alright, but they did not put the seal on my wife's Indian passport for cancellation. It just have the lines - "Cancelled. Received OCI status" (lines to that effect - don't remember exact words). But they did not put the Washington embassy seal on it. (My passport has it). I will drop them an email and see what they will do about it. But, I am not really concerned or worried about it right now.

Here is my timeline

7/22 - mailed the SC and OCI applications
7/29 - Status Acknowledged
7/31 - Photo/Signature scanned.
8/05 - Status granted
8/07 - Documents printed
8/09 - Documents dispatched
8/16 - Documents received at DC
8/16 - mailed passports
8/20 - Received the US and Indian passports.

What's my status?

Folks,

I am curious about what's going on with my OCI status. I was one of the unlucky few that got some of the OCI forms back in the mail because of lack of surrender certificate (the rules have changed and re-changed now).

I sent back all my OCI forms along with copies of my SC. The OCI enquiry system shows Acknowledgement of my papers as of Aug 18. However, the status has not changed from "Under Process" as far as I know. I don't see a line on the status form for Photo Scanned. Where exactly was the Photo Scanned status for you all located?

All I see is this:
Date Of Acknowledgment: 18-AUG-2010
Registration Status: UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED

I am getting worried because for most people ack and photo scanned were 1-2 days apart and it has been almost a week for me. Any suggestions (besides visiting the DC office)?

Thanks!

GS12 - I dont think even visiting the DC consulate would be of any good! as the documents are with the real mai-baap - yeah, you got it right - the MEA folks!

GS12 - I dont think even visiting the DC consulate would be of any good! as the documents are with the real mai-baap - yeah, you got it right - the MEA folks!

Awesome :mad:

So where is your Photo Scanned status on OCI Enquiry form? Is that permanently posted on the form or did it come one day and go away the next? Thanks!

Awesome :mad:

So where is your Photo Scanned status on OCI Enquiry form? Is that permanently posted on the form or did it come one day and go away the next? Thanks!

You should see update in a day or two. It took a week for Photo Scanned update after the Ack date. All updates stay permanent. BTW. Scanning and Grant of OCI are done at the Embassy / Consulate. However, they have to run thru a database to check if there are any adverse report (simlar to NO FLY List) and then gets granted. Scanned photo and signature are then uploaded to OCI database in India. However, some times Delhi may reject the photo or signature if it does not comply with their quality even if it show scanned Photo/Signature on the online status page.

You should see update in a day or two. It took a week for Photo Scanned update after the Ack date. All updates stay permanent. BTW. Scanning and Grant of OCI are done at the Embassy / Consulate. However, they have to run thru a database to check if there are any adverse report (simlar to NO FLY List) and then gets granted. Scanned photo and signature are then uploaded to OCI database in India. However, some times Delhi may reject the photo or signature if it does not comply with their quality even if it show scanned Photo/Signature on the online status page.

Thank you for the detailed response, krajah. I feel slightly better knowing that it took a week for someone else too. I'll cross my fingers and wait now.