OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I guess we are both first :) My timeline is exactly the same as yours July 26 mailed, recd at DC on July 28th, received SC and cancelled PP for me and spouse on August 10.!! I have prepared the OCI packet for about 4 times ( believe me everytime I prepared the website would show different rules 3 times after that) and have to prepare the paper work for OCI. I was slacking as I thought SC would take at least a months or 6 weeks but 2 weeks is light speed for DC!!

Cool! Keep me posted on OCI status. I mailed it today.

My problem is that they returned my OCI once already. However, they kept a few papers. I did not make more copies ... just sent all papers that were returned to me, except the stuff regarding SC. I just put 2 copies of SC. Praying that they had the copies of my older documents, including addl pics. :)

SC and Indian Passports

I sent my Indian Passports for cancellation along with the OCI application on July 22nd. I have not received the Indian Passports yet.

Can some one who has sent Indian Passports for cancellation along with OCI application share their experiences such as how long it took for them to get the Indian passports back from the embassy?

Thanks a bunch.

linux,
I think they want to make up for lost time with your case due to the dragging that happened with your SC and therefore processing the OCI fast:):):)
With the current pace our documents should be dispatched in a week's time from Delhi.....
Keep us posted...

With my current tasks, I am planning to go to DC early next week..... Will update the thread on the outcome...

Good luck,
V!!

I sent my Indian Passports for cancellation along with the OCI application on July 22nd. I have not received the Indian Passports yet.

viswanath,
What is your current online status for OCI? Have they mailed it to DC?
If they don't send the SC/PP back when your OCI reaches DC (from Delhi), you should probably try an "in-person" stamping for OCI so that you can collect everything on the same day. Just carry proof of payments that were cleared from your bank or other institution for the SC et al.
You can send an email to their OCI ID.... Nothing to lose..... if they reply, well and good..

Cheers!!!
V!!

Can some one who has sent Indian Passports for cancellation along with OCI application share their experiences such as how long it took for them to get the Indian passports back from the embassy?

Thanks a bunch.

I sent our Indian Passports (in original) to cancel along with our OCI applications. We received them back along with our OCI booklets and U-stickers on USA passports from the Embassy. I don't think they return back canceled Indian passport separately. But the twist in the story is, although they en-cashed our cashier's check ($20/passport)specifically sent for cancellation of our Indian passports but sent us back our Indian passports WITHOUT canceling them!!!!! Now I'll have to go to the Embassy one day to get the 'Cancelled' stamp on our Indian passports!!

RC66

Thanks RC66 for the reply. It is certainly a hassle to go to the embassy one more time.

Another question - I included the checks for mailing charges ($20 each for Indian Passports and $20 for OCI docs).

I am just wondering if they will remember that I have already paid the mailing charges when I send the US Passports for the stamping.

Did you send the mailing charges with the original application or with the US passports?

Thanks again.

viswanath,
What is your current online status for OCI? Have they mailed it to DC?
If they don't send the SC/PP back when your OCI reaches DC (from Delhi), you should probably try an "in-person" stamping for OCI so that you can collect everything on the same day. Just carry proof of payments that were cleared from your bank or other institution for the SC et al.
You can send an email to their OCI ID.... Nothing to lose..... if they reply, well and good..

Cheers!!!
V!!

Hi V,
Current status is that documents are dispatched from Delhi on 8/9/2010.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will drop an email to them and see if they respond. I do feel assured with the reply from RC66 that he got the Indian passports along with the US passports.

Previous Status
7/22/2010 - Mailed SC and OCI applications
7/29/2010 - Acknowledged Status online
7/31/2010 - Photo/Signature Scanned
8/05/2010 - Status Granted
8/07/2010 - Documents Printed (They changed the date from 8/6 to 8/7)
8/09/2010 - Documents dispatched

Thanks RC66 for the reply. It is certainly a hassle to go to the embassy one more time.

Another question - I included the checks for mailing charges ($20 each for Indian Passports and $20 for OCI docs).

I am just wondering if they will remember that I have already paid the mailing charges when I send the US Passports for the stamping.

Did you send the mailing charges with the original application or with the US passports?

Thanks again.

1) - I sent only one cashier's check for $20.00 with OCI application as mailing charge and clearly mentioned it in the covering letter. I'm not sue why you sent two checks (1 for US passport return and the other for canceled Idian Passport return)! They send canceled Indian passports, US passports with U-visa stamp and OCI booklet in one shipment (UPS) packet all together. At least I received them that way on July 27.

2) When I mailed my US passport to the Embassy, I again mentioned in bold letters in a covering letter that I already paid for the mailing back of our US passports, OCI booklets and cancelled Indian passports. I also mentioned the cashier's check number which I sent for this purpose along with our OCI applications.

Good luck.

RC66

1) - I sent only one cashier's check for $20.00 with OCI application as mailing charge and clearly mentioned it in the covering letter. I'm not sue why you sent two checks (1 for US passport return and the other for canceled Idian Passport return)! They send canceled Indian passports, US passports with U-visa stamp and OCI booklet in one shipment (UPS) packet all together. At least I received them that way on July 27.

2) When I mailed my US passport to the Embassy, I again mentioned in bold letters in a covering letter that I already paid for the mailing back of our US passports, OCI booklets and cancelled Indian passports. I also mentioned the cashier's check number which I sent for this purpose along with our OCI applications.

Good luck.

RC66

Thanks for the info RC66. I was expecting to get the Indian Passports much sooner than the OCI documents.

I will be happy as long as I get the passports back :)

Status update:

7/21/2010 - Mailed SC and OCI applications
7/22/2010 - Received by DC Consulate
8/09/2010 - Acknowledged by DC Consulate
8/10/2010 - Photo/Signature Scanned
Registration Status: Under Process

Since I'm travelling in the last week of Dec, I'm going to go ahead and book my tickets. It seems likely that the OCI will be processed by then (20 weeks). Have any of you had the paperwork returned to you AFTER the status was "Under Process" ?

Freedom from the Embassy Bapus

I got my freedom 2 days in advance.

They sent the US passport stamped in total 3 days by next day UPS air. (This is Jet Speed for DC Consulate).

Here is my full timeline.

1st Application Date : 18-MAY-2010
Returned Back : 25-MAY-2010
2nd Application Date : 12-JUN-2010
Date Of Acknowledgment : 08-JUL-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 16-JUL-2010
Registration Status Granted : 27-JUL-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 19-JUL-2010
Documents Printed : 30-JUL-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office : 02-AUG-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON : 04-AUG-2010
US Passports Received at WASHINGTON : 09-AUG-2010
US Passport with OCI U sticker and Regis received at home : 12-AUG-2010

The proactive UPS tracking with OCI has Shipping reference for the zip code did not work for me but I received everything including cancelled Indian Passports correctly.

Good Luck to everyone waiting for their freedom. Seems like the processing speed has improved again.

-Regards
Vignesh

Embasssy Recieved Packet on 28-JUN- 2010
Date Of Acknowledgment 08-JUL-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 10-JUL-2010
Registration Status Granted On 14-JUL-2010
Documents Printed On 16-JUL-2010
Documents Dispatched on 19-JUL-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 04-AUG-2010
Passport recieved by Washington on 11-Aug-2010
Waiting to recieve passport after stamping

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky you Vigneshwar. I mailed my US PP on 5th and received by Embassy on 6th but I am still waiting. I thought of going DC but had to travel out of state. I am thinking of going there next week if I don't receive by Monday.

Status update:

8/10/2010 - Registration Status: Under Process
8/16/2010 - Registration Status: Granted

Congratulations Vigneswar.

Kailash, Rajah,

All the best. Hope you will receive your passports soon.

Finally its' all ended well.

Here is my timeline:
OCI Mailed - June 28
Recd by Emb - June 29
Ackd by Emb - July 21
Scanned - July 27 (IST)/July 26 EDT
Granted - July 29 (IST) / July 28 EDT
Printed - July 30 (IST)/July 30 EDT
Dispatched from Del - Aug 2 (IST)
Received by Washington Embassy - Aug 4 (EDT)
PP mailed by me via UPS - Aug 5
PP Received by Embassy - Aug 6
OCI & PP mailed by Embassy - Aug 13
OCI & PP received by me - Aug 16

My Timeline Update:
Applied for SC in person: July 26th
Picked up SC in person: July 29th
Despatched OCI packet: July 31st
Packet received in D.C (signed by P Anchula): August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 10th 2010. (regn status: under process)
Photo/Signature: Scanned (Aug 11)
Registration Status: Granted: 17 Aug

Congratulations Rajah.

DC consulate rocks.

Great progress from Pauwalla and Linuxrox.

My documents have been received at DC. Just mailed the passports yesterday evening. Hoping for a quick turn around. This is so cool :)

Congrats krajah. More progress this morning. DC Consulate is really doing a GREAT job at moving the OCI applications along quickly. I think we should email them and compliment them on how efficiently things are moving.

Status update:

8/10/2010 - Registration Status: Under Process
8/16/2010 - Registration Status: Granted
8/17/2010 - Documents Printed
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED

One more update!
My Timeline Update:
Applied for SC in person: July 26th
Picked up SC in person: July 29th
Despatched OCI packet: July 31st
Packet received in D.C (signed by P Anchula): August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 10th 2010. (regn status: under process)
Photo/Signature: Scanned (Aug 11)
Registration Status: Granted: 17 Aug
Documents Printing Status: Printed 17 Aug