OCI - Washington DC Tracker

OCI Mailed 07/24/2008
Acknowledged 08/07/2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On : 08/20/2008
Registration Status Granted On 03-SEP-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi 05-SEP-2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON 11-SEP-2008

Once OCI docs are recieved at washington DC, are we supposed to send another self addressed envelope inspite of already sending one while applying the original OCI application ?

I had just $25 family postage charges in the application fee, never sent the self-addressed envelops with the application. However, I did send the self-addressed envelops with the Indian/US Passports when I sent them for the OCI sticker at the embassy (after the tracking confirmed that they were received at the Embassy).

Embassy used a USPS Priority Envelope (Flat Rate) to send the OCI Bookliet / Cancelled Indian passports / US Passprots with the OCI sticker for the whole family.

Hope it helps hitraj, good luck.

Granted and Documents Received at WASHINGTON

Date Of Mailing 17-JUL-2008
Date Of Acknowledgment 01-AUG-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 12-AUG-2008
Registration Status Granted On 30-AUG-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi 05-SEP-2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON 11-SEP-2008

I am planning send the passports tonight for U visa

I am very happy my application now moved on next status and OCI is granted so not to worry if I will get it or not before I need to fly to India.

Mailed to Washington DC - 07/22/08
Delivered at Washington DC - 07/23/08
Date Of ACK - 08/13/08
Photo/Signature Scanned : 02-SEP-2008
Registration Status Granted On 13-SEP-2008
Documents Printed: 15-Sep-2008, Previously I thought when it said printed on that day it should be same date.. now it says 15 Sep.
Documents Despatched From Delhi On:
Documents Received at WASHINGTON:
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC:
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) received home:

Last edited by a moderator:
need info

Hi Friends,
We got te citizenship recently. I would like to apply for OCI card.
could you guys give me the information that where can i find latest info and forms. My self and wife planning to appply, do we need seperate applications forms or can we aplly togeather?. By the way i am from Maryland.

Pl. help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Friends,
We got te citizenship recently. I would like to apply for OCI card.
could you guys give me the information that where can i find latest info and forms. My self and wife planning to appply, do we need seperate applications forms or can we aplly togeather?. By the way i am from Maryland.

Pl. help me.

Thanks in advance.

Being in Maryland, you'll apply at the Indian Embassy in Washington, DC. Please go to http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp and read through all the information posted there. Afterward, if you have any specific question about the application process or need any clarification, please feel free to ask. You can also search through various posts on these threads - chances are any issues you come up with have already been discussed and answered on this forum.

Hi OCI gurus,

I have a question about how I should proceed with OCI.

I recently became a US citizen, my wife is born in the US and her parents now US citizens were Indian citizens before. My son is also born in the US.

I want to apply for OCI, for the entire family. Any thoughts on if I can apply for all on the same application ?

Thanks in advance.

Jaym7

Hi OCI gurus,

I have a question about how I should proceed with OCI.

I recently became a US citizen, my wife is born in the US and her parents now US citizens were Indian citizens before. My son is also born in the US.

I want to apply for OCI, for the entire family. Any thoughts on if I can apply for all on the same application ?

Thanks in advance.

Jaym7

All 3 of you can apply as a family. For your wife's eligibility, you'll need her US birth certificate showing her parents' names and proof of past Indian citizenship of at least one parent (i.e., old/expired Indian passport, or Indian birth certificate, etc.).

Looks like more or less all formalities are done. I am planning to go personally to embassy once passport is in Washington DC.

I really want to thank everyone in the forum for the help I got from them.

Wishing everyone the best going through the process..

Date Of ACK - 08/13/08
Documents Printed: 15-Sep-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 18-SEP-2008

Looks like more or less all formalities are done. I am planning to go personally to embassy once passport is in Washington DC.

I really want to thank everyone in the forum for the help I got from them.

Wishing everyone the best going through the process..

Date Of ACK - 08/13/08
Documents Printed: 15-Sep-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 18-SEP-2008

I am glad that your wait is almost over. Have you checked if DC embassy allows collection of OCI docs in person? I know some consulates do (e.g., Chicago, NYC) and some don't (e.g., San Francisco). See this post where the applicant was asked to mail the passports and not to come in person to the embassy: http://boards.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=1877765&postcount=295

Acknowledgement takes two weeks?

I am glad that your wait is almost over. Have you checked if DC embassy allows collection of OCI docs in person? I know some consulates do (e.g., Chicago, NYC) and some don't (e.g., San Francisco). See this post where the applicant was asked to mail the passports and not to come in person to the embassy: http://boards.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=1877765&postcount=295

Why is it taking so longggggg for them to Acknowledge. I sent them the application this monday and asked if they received it and they said they will not know until the department that received it processes which takes two weeks. Are there so many people applying for OCI that they are cramped?. Are they verifying if all docs are received in the first step before marking as acknowledged?

Why is it taking so longggggg for them to Acknowledge. I sent them the application this monday and asked if they received it and they said they will not know until the department that received it processes which takes two weeks. Are there so many people applying for OCI that they are cramped?. Are they verifying if all docs are received in the first step before marking as acknowledged?

If you are looking for verification that your application was received at the embassy/consulate, the only thing you have is the USPS/FedEx (or whatever means you used) tracking info - online or return receipt (in case you used it). Embassy/consulates do not acknowledge receipt of application in this sense. The "acknowledge date" you see in the time-lines is the date when people in Delhi start working on the application (at that time a File/Ack# is assigned) which is followed by scan/grant/print/dispatch, etc. So the 2 weeks that you were told is for the latter meaning of acknowledgment. Hope this helps.

Thanks akgarg ji. I think DC let her have it personally, unless they changed the policy. My friend was telling he had flight so went personally & guy did his job in 5 mins which is unbelievable. But I will call them in 2-3 days and ask it's dispatched & can I come & get it as I don't want to take risk of getting it lost in mail because my flight is in within 2 weeks.

Thanks for suggestion!!!

Thanks akgarg ji. I think DC let her have it personally, unless they changed the policy. My friend was telling he had flight so went personally & guy did his job in 5 mins which is unbelievable. But I will call them in 2-3 days and ask it's dispatched & can I come & get it as I don't want to take risk of getting it lost in mail because my flight is in within 2 weeks.

Thanks for suggestion!!!

Manju, your previous message said your docs were dispatched on 9/18, so they should arrive in DC in about a week. You are right, it's a bit tight to get your passport (by mail) to them and back in time if your flight is in 2 weeks. I hope they allow in-person pickup. Let us know how it goes. All the best.

OCI Journey Completed.

Mailed to Washington DC - 06/19/08
Date Of ACK - 07/25/08
Photo/Signature Scanned - 08/07/08
Registration Status Granted On 08/25/08
Documents Printed: 08/26/08
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 08/29/08
Documents Received at WASHINGTON: 09/05/08
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC: 09/09/08
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) Received from Embassy on: 09/19/08

guys,
Thanks for the tons of info here:

I have a few questions:

1) When do I need to send US passport to washington DC for U-visa on the passport?

2) I had sent a payment of $295 (275 for application fee + 20 for return mail) during the OCI filing. Do I have to send additional payments for U-visa on passport?

3) Do I also have to send Indian passport for cancellation? When?

4) When do I get the OCI card?

5) I have not received any correspondence from the embassy till now through snail-mail/email? Should I expect any at any milestones? All I know is from the status tracking website...

Current status

Registration Status Granted On 19-SEP-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 19-SEP-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 22-SEP-2008
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

Please check answers below each of your questions. I did answer your questions to best of my knowledge but I could be wrong, akgarg ji or anyone else please correct me if I am wrong.

You can also read it http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp

Original foreign passports should be sent to the Embassy only after checking the OCI application status at http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp. If the status appears as documents received at Washington, then mail the foreign passports to the Embassy mentioning the file no for seeking U visa sticker and OCI Card.

Also include valid Indian passports/PIO cards for cancellation, if not already cancelled. Failure to do so will delay the issue of OCI document.

Mail the above documents to
Embassy of India (Consular Wing)
OCI Section
2536 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008

Exclusive telephone number for OCI scheme related enquires is 202-939-9860 (for Washington, DC only). Telephone queries would be answered between 0930 Hrs and 1800 Hrs Monday through Friday except duly notified holidays.

guys,
Thanks for the tons of info here:

I have a few questions:

1) When do I need to send US passport to washington DC for U-visa on the passport?

Only after you see date on Documents Received at WASHINGTON, means they received it at here.

2) I had sent a payment of $295 (275 for application fee + 20 for return mail) during the OCI filing. Do I have to send additional payments for U-visa on passport?

I don't think as long as you sent the required fee no additional fee.

3) Do I also have to send Indian passport for cancellation? When?

Yes you do if it's not already canceled at the same time you send American Passport for OCI Sticker.

4) When do I get the OCI card?

I guess it's sticker they put it on your US passport once you send US passport & Indian passport for cancellation after you see date at received at Washington DC.

5) I have not received any correspondence from the embassy till now through snail-mail/email? Should I expect any at any milestones? All I know is from the status tracking website...

I don't think you are informed by mail you have to check on line & when you see it then need to send it or if you are in crunch of time as you need to fly out then call them or email them to check if you can come personally & get it.

Current status

Registration Status Granted On 19-SEP-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 19-SEP-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 22-SEP-2008
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

Please check answers below each of your questions. I did answer your questions to best of my knowledge but I could be wrong, akgarg ji or anyone else please correct me if I am wrong.

You can also read it http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp

Great job, Manju. Just one addition: the OCI card (the passport-sized booklet) will arrive with your U-visa pasted US passport and canceled Indian passport. Expect to receive it in 7-10 days after you mail your passports to them.

Just to get feeling of time taken to get the documents back
I have mailed my passports on 09/12 after seeing my status of documents recieved at DC on 09/11
Yet to recieve my passport and OCI document