OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I have recently became US Citizen and iam applying for OCI from washington DC
I have a 2.5 yrs old daughter for whom I had applied back in 2006 for OCI when the rules were still not defined properly and that I could get her OCI approved without any of the parents being US citizens

Now when Iam applying for OCI there is a column in application B where you have to mention about it for any family members

Iam concerned if they would question on the OCI approval of my daughter ?
I had already been to india and used that OCI once

At this stage will they ask me cancel it and again reapply OCI for my daughter ?

Thanks
Raj

hitraj,

I do not think you should be concerned as the OCI was granted by the Indian Government to you. Your daughter should be grand fathered after the rules were defined/changed. Additionally, even now she is legible to get the OCI status since you became the US Citizen. Good luck ....

I agree... Also, would you rather find out now that you have an issue with your OCI or when you land in India (Bombay/Delhi airport)?

I suggest you be very clear about you kid's OCI. Worst case they may charge you $25 and reissue a new one... Good Luck.

Thanks Koolvik/SriniB for quick response

One more query ,where did you take those photos for OCI application
There are so many conditions attached to it compared to any other application I have come across in my life.

Most of photo studios I went have white background and i have to take pair of 2 phtotos 3 times to get the total of 5

Well, how about taking pictures yourself at home (in a digital camer) against an off-white background and then take it to CVS. Instead of photo studios you can get that done at a fraction of cost (69 cents for 6 ID pictures). I went to multiple photo places (Walmart, Wegmans, Costco, Ritz camera) and found out that CVS is the only place that still allows ID pictures (our of your Digital camera) to be printed..... Does that help?

Question for koolvik7

Hi Koolvik7 (or anyone else who might be able to answer my question):

I think my documents must have been in the same batch as yours (OCI status granted July 9th, documents received in Washington July 17th). I sent in my US passport on July 17th, and it was received on the 18th. I haven't gotten it back yet-- did you get yours?

I am worried because the post office has mysteriously stopped delivering my mail and placed a "vacant" card in my mailbox. I spoke with the mail carrier, and he says that "someone from the apartment building" took a big pile of my mail and took my name off the mailbox :eek: The staff of my apartment building claims not to know anything about this, so I am worried that someone just walked in off the street and stole my mail (including my passport :eek:)

I called the OCI office in Washington and left a message (I am hoping they can give me a tracking number). No response yet, but I only called this morning.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice on this thread!

That is crazy! never heard anything like that... I am hoping someone just made a mistake and picked up your mail.

Regarding OCI, send an email (address is posted on the website). I sent email enquiries in the past and always received a prompt response.

good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
Completed my OCI journey today, with Passports/OCI Booklet at home today for me and the spouse. Less than two months (almost) of total processing.......

Mailed to Washington DC on: May 27th, 2008
Date Of Acknowledgment: June 10th, 2008
Photo/Signature Scanned: July 3rd, 2008
Registration Status Granted: July 9th, 2008
Documents Printed: July 9th, 2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: July 11th, 2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON: July 17th, 2008
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC: July 18th, 2008
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) received home: July 25th, 2008

Spicyrice, I am very sorry to hear about the mail issue in your apartment. My passports were received today so do track yours as they are sent by the Embassy using the Express Mail package with the tracking number. Embassy is helpful and should be able to let you know the status (if already picked up or not). Really hoping that it works in your favor... do keep us posted.

Koolvik7 - Congratulations... now you can finally live your life without having to deal with visas any more (unless you decide to migrate to UK or Singapore or some other place) :)

Good luck to you...

Thank you very much SriniB, you are next.... just barely two weeks away from your freedom :) The OCI Booklet / U (lifelong Visa) is the most professional looking Indian document that I have ever received from Indian Government.....

Congrats Koolvik7.

By the way, I finally saw date of ACK on online enquiry.

Mailed to Washington DC - 06/19/08
Date Of ACK - 07/25/08

Thank you Colts07, I see that your case is also chugging along. The longest wait is between the ACK date and the Photo/signature scanning date, the rest of the process is pertty much home stretch after that... Good Luck to you.

Thanks, SriniB and koolvik7. I just emailed the OCI office in Washington, so hopefully they can give me a tracking number. I am praying that there was some sort of delay in processing at the embassy, because I don't want to deal with replacing a stolen passport and OCI certificate!

If I do have to replace the OCI visa/ certificate, does anyone know how long that takes?

Congrats Koolvik on your OCI and end of a long journey

Last week I started my OCI journey

OCI Timelines:
Mailed to Washington DC on: July 24th, 2008
Recieved at consulate(USPS track) :July 25th, 2008

Date Of Acknowledgment: xx
Photo/Signature Scanned: xx
Registration Status Granted: xx
Documents Printed: xx
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: xx
Documents Received at WASHINGTON: xx
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC: xx
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) received home: xx

Finally Photo/Signature Scanned : 28th July 2008

Application Status:

Applied on line 06/10/2008
Mailed application to Washington DC 06/23/2008
File Acknowledged : 07/03/2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 07/28/2008
Registration Status Granted On ?
Documents Printing Status ?
Documents Printed On ?
Documents Despatched From Delhi On ?
Documents Received at WASHINGTON ?

Good news... it seems that the OCI office is still processing my U.S. passport/ OCI visa. I emailed them, and they emailed me back saying that they never received my passport. Fortunately, I had a tracking number which shows that they did receive it on July 18th. They told me to check back on Friday. So at least it wasn't stolen from my mailbox! Not sure why it's taking so long... maybe it takes longer if you were never an Indian citizen in the first place (I was born in the U.S.). I'll post an update with my entire timeline when I get my passport back.

It seems that time taken to get OCI visa slowly improving. As per my observation, it used to take more than 90 days. Now it is around 60 days.
You can find my dates for OCI in my signature.

Mailed to Washington DC on: July 31, 2008
Date Of Acknowledgment:
Photo/Signature Scanned:
Registration Status Granted:
Documents Printed: July 9th, 2008
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On:
Documents Received at WASHINGTON:
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC:
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) received home: