OCI, Surrender Certificate, Photos Questions

rseth123

Registered Users (C)
Folks:

I need help as I am sick and tired of calling CGI, SF as well as sent emails but no one ever responds.

1. Can I send surrender certificate and OCI application together and expect them to co-ordinate at their end?

2. For OCI: Do I need to send 2 more photos other than the ones which we paste on 2 copies of Part-A?

3. Can I send our US passport later like once it is approved or they are going to send my application back because of Passport?

Thanks in advance.

Folks:

I need help as I am sick and tired of calling CGI, SF as well as sent emails but no one ever responds.

1. Can I send surrender certificate and OCI application together and expect them to co-ordinate at their end?

2. For OCI: Do I need to send 2 more photos other than the ones which we paste on 2 copies of Part-A?

3. Can I send our US passport later like once it is approved or they are going to send my application back because of Passport?

Thanks in advance.

Surrender certificate is required for OCI. Rules for surrender certificate are anything but confusing as they vary from consulate to consulate! Even the Renunciation of Indian Citizenship form is different!

-- For OCI - just two photos/ paste them on each application.
-- assuming you have surrender certificate , you need not send US passports. You can send them when your OCI booklet arrives from Delhi to SF. You can know this by checking the status. Sometimes, they send email notification. Sometimes they don't. It's up to you to keep checking the status.

First question is too tough. Hope the SF consulate makes rules clear.

I am in same situation. First I got my application returned for Name Change. & then second time for $175 fees + few more requirements like Advertisement, I-130 or Green card copies etc. Their instructions to send application again is a joke as they themselves do not honor what they asked before... or may be requirements are changing all the time. So this time I am going to wait before I send the application again. Really it is sickening process & no one replied to my email from oci@cgisf.org

kimo123,
May I know how you resolved the name change issue?. Did you have to advertise in news paper in US and India?. Was it a name change due to marriage or name different from US passport and Indian PP.?

The change in my name was pretty minor. In my USA passport the middlename was not present. In USA middlename is anyway optional.
So to resolve name change, I sent my passport to USA passport processing center to add my Middlename back. The application is still in process.
The USA Passport service is going to do it for no charge !
The other route was to give an Ad in India news paper. BTW this requirement is also new. Earlier just an Affidavit was sufficient for minor name change or for the name change during naturalization.

The change in my name was pretty minor. In my USA passport the middlename was not present. In USA middlename is anyway optional.
So to resolve name change, I sent my passport to USA passport processing center to add my Middlename back. The application is still in process.
The USA Passport service is going to do it for no charge !
The other route was to give an Ad in India news paper. BTW this requirement is also new. Earlier just an Affidavit was sufficient for minor name change or for the name change during naturalization.

Thank you for the response. Was your middle name present on the Naturalization certificate for US PP to add it back ?. Mine was also a middle name dropped issue during naturalization. If I knew about OCI requirement I would have preferred not to drop my middle name. But, I am going to submit my OCI to the embassy and let them tell me what they want. Name change affidavit alone or news paper adverstisement in US and India. Again, thank you for your response.

Thank you for the response. Was your middle name present on the Naturalization certificate for US PP to add it back ?. Mine was also a middle name dropped issue during naturalization. If I knew about OCI requirement I would have preferred not to drop my middle name. But, I am going to submit my OCI to the embassy and let them tell me what they want. Name change affidavit alone or news paper advertisement in US and India. Again, thank you for your response.

bg2k81,
Yes My Middle name is present in Naturalization certificate. So it is easy to add it back in US passport.
It is almost certain ... for any discrepancy in middlename, your application will be returned. Sorry to give you this bad news.

Earlier if name change was done during Naturalization, only affidavit was required. I have their email indicating this. Here it is....
But this is not the case any more... U will have to give Ad in Indian news paper.

Here is Email correspondence with OCI team( names & email are obscured for privacy.)

Please send the name change affdavit and two copies of the naturalization cert.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

OCI TEAM
CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA
540 ARGUELLO BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO CA-94118

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:59 AM
To: OCI
Subject: Re: Name change question

Our Naturalization certificate shows name as AAA BBB CCC & PPP QQQ RRR

But US passport shows the name as AAA BBB & PPP QQQ R.

So I assume no advertisement is necessary.
Note that there is no name change, Just middle name is omitted in my case and initialized in case of my wife.

Greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you.
-XXX

To: KG <xxx@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thu, April 29, 2010 10:17:26 AM
Subject: RE: Name change question

Dear Sir/Madam,

If the name change was done during Naturalization then you do not need to advertize.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

OCI TEAM
540 ARGUELLO BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO CA-94118

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:37 AM

Thank you.

Just to be sure....

No need for advertize in NEWS Paper right? (This was not marked in the list sent by OCI team).

Thanks again for the quick reply.

-xxx

Sent: Thu, April 29, 2010 9:06:44 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

Yes please.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

OCI TEAM
540 ARGUELLO BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO CA-94118

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:10 PM
To: oci@cgisf.org
Subject: Name change question

Hello,

My application was returned for OCI for name conflict. I had family application (Total 3).

My Name in Indian Passport: AAA BBB CCC
My Name in US Pass port: AAA BBB

My Wife's Name in Indian Passport: PPP QQQ RRR
My Wife's Name in US Passport: PPP QQQ R.

Do we need Name change Affidavit for both of us?

Thank you
XXX
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bg2k81,
Yes My Middle name is present in Naturalization certificate. So it is easy to add it back in US passport.
It is almost certain ... for any discrepancy in middlename, your application will be returned. Sorry to give you this bad news.

Earlier if name change was done during Naturalization, only affidavit was required. I have their email indicating this. Here it is....
But this is not the case any more... U will have to give Ad in Indian news paper.

Here is Email correspondence with OCI team( names & email are obscured for privacy.)

Please send the name change affdavit and two copies of the naturalization cert.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

OCI TEAM
540 ARGUELLO BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO CA-94118

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:59 AM

Our Naturalization certificate shows name as AAA BBB CCC & PPP QQQ RRR

But US passport shows the name as AAA BBB & PPP QQQ R.

So I assume no advertisement is necessary.
Note that there is no name change, Just middle name is omitted in my case and initialized in case of my wife.

Greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you.
-XXX

Sent: Thu, April 29, 2010 10:17:26 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

If the name change was done during Naturalization then you do not need to advertize.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

OCI TEAM
540 ARGUELLO BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO CA-94118

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:37 AM

Thank you.

Just to be sure....

No need for advertize in NEWS Paper right? (This was not marked in the list sent by OCI team).

Thanks again for the quick reply.

-xxx

Sent: Thu, April 29, 2010 9:06:44 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

Yes please.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

OCI TEAM
540 ARGUELLO BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO CA-94118

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:10 PM
To: oci@cgisf.org
Subject: Name change question

Hello,

My application was returned for OCI for name conflict. I had family application (Total 3).

My Name in Indian Passport: AAA BBB CCC
My Name in US Pass port: AAA BBB

My Wife's Name in Indian Passport: PPP QQQ RRR
My Wife's Name in US Passport: PPP QQQ R.

Do we need Name change Affidavit for both of us?

Thank you
XXX
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kimo123,
Thank you for the quick response. I think they are not clear on what direction they are going. I have read in this forum that for some people they only requested name change affidavit and copies of naturalization certificate with no ads in news papers. I guess depends on the consulate officer. By the way I am in DC jurisdiction. I am simultaneously enquiring about advertisement in India. Hopefully the news paper people understand the situation instead of asking for truck load of documentation. USCIS says I just dropped my middle so no name change certificate is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
bg2k81 - please post your experience. I sent an email to DC consulate asking them about the "ads" - as I have the court issued document from Court of Virginia (mine was s shortening of first name - From VenkataBalaSubramaniam to Venkat).
I believe that we should get ready for the ads business anyway ..
sending the form for SC in the next few days.

linuxrox
I was planning on applying for SC along with OCI, for DC. I think based on DC website you can send it along with OCI.