OCI online application - cannot save

mxc

Registered Users (C)
I am desperately trying to complete the online application so I can submit it at Chicago consulate tomorrow. When I save I am getting an error webpage not found or something like that (not sure of the exact error but I have got it three times now). I have already taken half a day off from work :mad:

Any one has come across this situation? I am using IE 8.
TIA
-- mxc

The OCI Application link and status link has this behaviour once in a while.... based on feedback from others....
Please keep all the information you have to enter in a text file or word document handy and saved....

That final "Save" button will actually prompt to print to your printer..... If you have a PDF printer, save it to PDF and take multiple copies later.
The reprint option in the OCI main page does not produce an exact replica of what gets printed using the "Save" option.... Atleast that was the case a couple of months ago....

I haven't tried it with IE 8.0.... If you have access to a different IE version, you might want to try that....

But, in any case, I would have the application details in a text/word file before attempting to input anything in their forms..

Good luck,

The reprint option in the OCI main page does not produce an exact replica of what gets printed using the "Save" option.... Atleast that was the case a couple of months ago....

If you want to reprint later and do not have PDF generator, do not use the copy which comes out at SAVE, use only the versions from the REPRINT option. That way at least they are consistent.

If you want to reprint later and do not have PDF generator, do not use the copy which comes out at SAVE, use only the versions from the REPRINT option. That way at least they are consistent.

Thanks all. I can't even get to print, as soon I as click Save it throws a HTTP 500 error. I have tried in three machines so far, all with IE8.0 and I get the same error. I have been trying for 5 days and no luck. Chicago consultate won't even answer phone. In twelve years of dealing with them I have only had once someone really answer the phone and even then she hung up on me before answering my question.

I have done this so many times I can fill in the form in my sleep now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try installing the digital signature for their site? I had problem with IE and Firefox. Once I installed the signature file, Firefox worked but IE did not. One thing though, even after the install, it did not work. I had to do something with permissions but I can't exactly remember what.

Internet Explorer v8 worked fine for us, must be something wrong with the website. Have you tried to fill in the form on a different computer? Try clearing cookies and Temp files (use ccleaner)...

try some other machine(machine in office maybe).. maybe that might help... some plugin might be missing on urs (or some firewall thing).....

Finally after 5 days there is a message "system is under maintenance, please try after some time". They could have put this message long ago that could have saved all the agony.

Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem? Last week I got the system under maintenace, please try after sometime message. I thought the web site was down but after so many days I still can't submit the application. Not sure what is going on. I have tried on several computers, tried even from my friend's home on several computers. Still the same error, it is frustrating...

Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem? Last week I got the system under maintenace, please try after sometime message. I thought the web site was down but after so many days I still can't submit the application. Not sure what is going on. I have tried on several computers, tried even from my friend's home on several computers. Still the same error, it is frustrating...

mxc, two minutes back i tried a dummy registration. i was successful. Of course initially it did say page not available. On second attempt i got the page. After filling on clicking save , first time it said page not available. When i clicked the back button same page i filled was on the screen and i was able to save my registration on 2nd attempt.

for your info i went to Chicago Indian Consulate website and registered for Chicago address only. Hope your address is in one of the states covered by Chicago Consulate. I got registration number USACI337xxxxx.

keep trying, best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:
mxc, two minutes back i tried a dummy registration. i was successful. Of course initially it did say page not available. On second attempt i got the page. After filling on clicking save , first time it said page not available. When i clicked the back button same page i filled was on the screen and i was able to save my registration on 2nd attempt.

for your info i went to Chicago Indian Consulate website and registered for Chicago address only. Hope your address is in one of the states covered by Chicago Consulate. I got registration number USACI337xxxxx.

keep trying, best of luck

I tried again and still no luck, I am getting a oci inquiry ("user authentification", yes authentification) window with a user and password boxes. I turned off "show friendly http error messages" in IE options, Advanced tab under browsing group and started getting this window since then instead of http 500 error

If I hit back button it says webpage expired and all the details I filled in are gone. I have tried this IE6, IE8 and few different computers, network etc. I suspecting it is something with the data I am entering, may be something is too long or there is a space that it does not like, just can't figure what it is. I am getting to a point of giving up OCI and just going for PIO.

I found the issue. It was indeed data. On one of the dates (out of 10 dates - 4 BD's, 4 PP issue dates and 2 PIO dates), I flipped the month and day and the day happened to be > 12. The data was not getting validated while entering it in the family group option unlike in individual option where it does. I realized it was data and started test each applicant data individually and on the third one caught it, as the individual option catches it while entering. It was happening sub consciously just on this one date as there were other dates that this could have happened but I was entering them properly.

I got the application done, now starts the real fun.

Thanks for everyone who jumped in to help.