OCI - New York Tracker

TraVisa received my USPS packet on the 03/30. Today 04/18 they updated my status to 'Order form Recd, Payment Processed'. 19 days to just open an envelope !!!

TraVisa received my USPS packet on the 03/30. Today 04/18 they updated my status to 'Order form Recd, Payment Processed'. 19 days to just open an envelope !!!

Besides other issues I have highlighted above - I had similar experience. Although my original application was sent with FedEx. They wanted Birth Certificates and minors to sign the section B. ( The minors had signed in the Rectangular box. I had wrongly assumed the parents sign in the statutaory declaration is enough!) Those additional documents were sent with USPS Priority Post. It took them more than a week to record the updates that come with USPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
coolcar, so you're going to re-send with a cover letter? You should ask for them to refund you the other fees since it's THEIR software that is bad.

And it's really annoying that they're taking their own sweet time these days. What's the point of outsourcing to them if they're now as slow as the consulate was before?

coolcar, so you're going to re-send with a cover letter? You should ask for them to refund you the other fees since it's THEIR software that is bad?

@refund of service charge : Actually the way things were going I am really glad that I have got our New passports, Old Passports and OCI cards back from them. From the returned documents they seem to have packaged and handled the documentation and application to Embassy well.

@cover letter for Cancelled passports : I do not want to increase the complications and my stress by creating another 2 applications ( for me and spouse ) for the Renounciation and then praying that that the "Cancelled" passports will not attract penalty from Embassy. When I spoke to them they were clear that those are Govt of India rules. It was always stated last year after the protests that people who have already got OCIs need not get surrender certificates. However as you say it could be bug in their software but there is no clear notice on the "NY" Travisa or "NY" Embassy site about already Cancelled passports due to OCI grants. I have already posted links from other consulates and Indian links. Also by applying for Renounciation you will effectively accept that it was our mistake when infact we have not done anything wrong.

@slow processing : Is it because of the Embassy or their internal teething issues remains to be seen.

Hi snm65....

OCI Submitted to Travisa : 03/09/2011
Documents submitted to Consulate : 03/24/2011

Here is gap of 15 days. Can you please explain about it. Do you know when Travisa open your envelop and started working on it. Was it on 03/09 or 03/24 or sometimes in between.

Delayed opening of Mail by Travisa - Did you all write your Registration# on the packet that you sent to Travisa (as advised in the Checklist)?

dp3344,

Travisa opened it on 03/23 sent it to the consulate on 03/24. From the mail delivery service, I got the delivery date as 03/09. More or less it is taking about 30 days from the date the consulate receives the packet from Travisa, for you to get the passports back with the OCI stampted.

Want to verify: How many pictures need to send. I had send 2 copies of Part - A. Posted 1 photo on each form. So total 2 photos.

I sent Travisa NY this comment. I called them today, and they said that the processing times stated are for AFTER the consulate receives the application, and that I could not be given a timeframe. UNBELIEVABLE:

Travisa's service so far has been sub-par. First, your online software has a bug in it, and I was being charged a $250 penalty erroneously. Second, your website states processing times of about 15 days from when the application is received. You have had my application for 3 weeks, and I have received neither an email stating the certificate is ready nor any other status update. When I check the status of my application online, it states that it was received, and that a status update can take upto 7 days, which, again, was 2 weeks ago. Your phone system had problems for about 2 weeks, and whenever I get to speak to someone, they are of NO help (except for Sonia). If it takes this long for just a surrender certificate, and you require us to send in our passports for OCI services, imagine how long we have to part with our passports for. This quality of service can be expected from the Indian consulate, but we are paying an additional fee for the process to be outsourced so that it becomes MORE efficient, and o far it seems that Travisa is as inefficient as the consulate. And, Travisa has the gall to raise their service charge! I intend to get in touch with other former Indians to demand that Travisa's services be dropped as you are adding nothing to the process except for an increase in fees and the hassle of having to send in our passports for unspecified period of time. Of course, until then, I am at the mercy of your bad service, and I just hope that my application will be processed by the end of the year.

I intend to email them this too.

Going to India is December. Thinking about getting OCI. Should I?

I wanted to get OCI, but I am not sure how long it really takes to get an OCI through travisa. I live in Philadelphia, PA so my local travisa is in NYC and their website says that it takes 40 days. It seems from this forum that it probably takes a little longer than that. I personally dont care if it does as long as I can get my passport and oci by december 2011.

But either way would you recommend applying now for OCI? Also, what is the real average time that travisa takes for getting OCI visas?

Also, my situation is that I have a US expired passport with indian visa and a new US passport without indian visa. So I was thinking about just getting the visa transferred but then I thought why not just get the whole OCI thing done too while I am at it. But is there anything special I would have to do in my condition?

Thank you for your answers in advance!

Currently, travisa is taking around 3+ weeks to open your OCI mailed application. It takes another 2-3 days to prepare your case for sending to Indian consulate.
(Payment processing, preparing documents in a way consulate expecting).

Once your application reaches consulate, it is taking anywhere from 5-6 weeks to get the application back in the hands of travisa. Travisa takes about couple of days sending back your application. This is my observation based on my application and looking at other peoples dates. Assuming that your application has no issues such as renunciation certificate or missing documents. Give another 2+ weeks delay due to sheer volume of application during summer time.

Here is the summary:
1) Travisa takes around 4 weeks
2) Indian consulate takes around 6 weeks
3) Give additional 2 weeks due to summer time

In worst scenario as well, you should be able to get your OCI in 3+ months. I would expect it takes less than that in reality.

So, you should be in good shape in sending the OCI right now.

Can someone please explain the process to request cancellation of OCI application? And also how long it takes to get entry visa?

I submitted the application on 3/31 and they opened it on 4/20, Then asked for part B to be resubmitted (with non-applicant spouse's signature even though we provided that at the affidavit part for my kid - looks like they wanted it at the top part too). They wanted the naturalization certificate for my kid even though his citizenship is based on his Mother's. I resubmitted the documents and provided explanations for why the naturalization certificate for my son was not provided.

But now seeing all the delays mentioned here, I think I better withdraw the application as we plan to travel in June I week.

Can someone please explain the process to request cancellation of OCI application? And also how long it takes to get entry visa?

I submitted the application on 3/31 and they opened it on 4/20, Then asked for part B to be resubmitted (with non-applicant spouse's signature even though we provided that at the affidavit part for my kid - looks like they wanted it at the top part too). They wanted the naturalization certificate for my kid even though his citizenship is based on his Mother's. I resubmitted the documents and provided explanations for why the naturalization certificate for my son was not provided.

But now seeing all the delays mentioned here, I think I better withdraw the application as we plan to travel in June I week.

Give me your email. I can send you that form to withdraw. Fax number on Form is wrong.

So today I called the Travisa number . Couple of times it did not go through but finally I was able to get through. I was on hold for good 30 minute or probably more. They annouce the wait time which is definitely not correct. But they annouce your call position in the queue which seems to be correct. Finally my call was answered, The person I spoke to told me that it is now taking Travisa 3 weeks just to open the mail and thats accross the board. So if you apply for SC, PIO, OCI or VISA by mail it is taking 3 weeks just to open the mail and 30 business days for the consulate to process the application. I asked him if I can apply the OCI in person , he said that the OCI can be only be applied through mail. For VISA that can be done in person .
I hope I get the SC by end of may. Which will give me approx. 3 week to get the VISA for my wife. I will definitely apply for the VISA in person. I am not even thinking about OCI or PIO at this time.
By the way my application for just SC reached Travisa on 4/18.

Finally PP have been received today. For all those who are looking for approximate time for the process, please look at my timeline. It should give you an approximate time length. Once again, cannot thank enough this forum for all the information people share. Goodluck to all those who are in process.