OCI - New York Tracker

I tried calling Travisa yesterday but their lines were crossed or something and it was wreaking havoc with the phone system. Or, that was just the problem with my phone?

OCI Application ID (9 digits)

I filled OCI online application for me and my wife. (Mar 25th 2011)

We got email back with info Registartion number: Passport No: Name: Date of Birth:

In email Registration Number came as

USANI1586011
USANI1586111

I tried to contact TriVisa for status. (I couldn't got hold in NY office. So I contacted to Washington DC office). They asked for """9"""" digit Application ID and they told that when I fill form there should be Barcode on Form. But as I remember I never got Barcode nor 9 digit application ID.

We fill Part A online and Part B by hand. Sent 2 copies + Passport + Picture + Docs

So I am not sure did I fill the right form. Question for People who has filed recently had got application ID as USANI1586011 or in different format.

You seem to have filled the right form and the application ID seems to be the same format as I got (one advice - never disclose full ID in pubic forum). However, are you now trying to find out status of online application without posting the documents?

Remember, once you fill those forms you also need to fill an 'Order Form' at the Travisa site. You then mail this order form, which has the 9 digit application ID (all numbers), 2 print outs of Part A , 2 of Part B and 2 copies of documents. The status is also availabe online at the travisa website at :https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/track-status.

You can check the status about 2 weeks AFTER you have mailed everything to them. You will need the application ID from the Travisa order form to check status,

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not aware of Order Form

Thanks a lot sertra2002. I made big mistake. I was not aware that I had to file "Order Form".

I tried to call NYC office 6 times but just getting their voice mail.

Then I tried to Call TraVisa main office in Washington DC. They are very helpful. But they told nothing can be done. Seems like NYC will send whole application back and then I have to submitt whole application with Order Form.

Right now they are taking 3 to 4 weeks to even open the envelop. So I will have to wait 2 more weeks to receive my rejected application.

I am thinking just to send my Order Form with clear note on envelop that I missed this in previous envelop. Not sure with such a high volume of mail what will happen.

Visiting CGI for collecting OCI

Hello:
Has anybody recently visited CGI-NY to collect their OCI's? Just wanted to check if anything has changed. I do not see any info about this on their website. Do we still have to be there between 9am-10:30am and then collect the OCI in the evening? Would appreciate any recent experience.

Thanks

Thanks a lot sertra2002. I made big mistake. I was not aware that I had to file "Order Form".

I tried to call NYC office 6 times but just getting their voice mail.

Then I tried to Call TraVisa main office in Washington DC. They are very helpful. But they told nothing can be done. Seems like NYC will send whole application back and then I have to submitt whole application with Order Form.

Right now they are taking 3 to 4 weeks to even open the envelop. So I will have to wait 2 more weeks to receive my rejected application.

I am thinking just to send my Order Form with clear note on envelop that I missed this in previous envelop. Not sure with such a high volume of mail what will happen.

dp3344,

Here is what I have seen happen in such cases - they will not reject you based on lack of documentation received. They will give you an opportunity to submit your missed out "Order Form" without which they will not be able to process the case. So when you get an email from Travisa stating that you have not submitted the order form, if you can, you should go in person and submit it. This way you will not have to wait for another 10-15 days for them to open you mail - if you are not hard pressed for time, then it is a different story.

I say this because, in my case, I had not signed in one place on Part B of the form. They said if I wanted it to be processed right-away I should come in person the next day and they will be able to accept the corrected form. So be a little patient and wait for Travisa to first open you case.

snm65,

Did you apply for SC along with OCI or you got the SC first ? I am debating if I should apply for the SC and OCI togethor or separately.
Thanks.

From RB

RB,

As familygupta mentioned, you have to wait around two weeks for someone @travisa to open your application. It is a mandatory requirement from travisa to send the original US passport along with OCI application. I don't know how travisa handles your case if you don't send the original passport along with OCI form.

Thanks.
This is very helpful.
Thank you familygupta and vengsr.. I did send my original passports along with the forms. I am going India in June 1st week so I am lil worried. But let's hope for the best.

Contacted TraVisa NY office.

Good news:
* I had forgotten to send Order form. They told don't worry, since it is in their system they will take printout.

Bad news:
* Because of high volume - Current Backlog of 3 to 4 weeks to open envelops and acknowledge.

* Because of high volume it is taking around 2 months with consulate after they open your envelop.

* Cancel Process - If process is started with consulate and if you cancel then there is no refund.

I am planning to go in Jun/Jul time frame. I shouldn't have started OCI process.

pachhacard, snm65 - please keep in touch and share your status.

dp3344,

Thanks for the update. I think I will just apply for the SC now and then get the VISA. My wife and kids are going to india in 3rd week of june. So there is no chance of getting the OCI.

Now I feel that applying OCI with embassy was better ...bcos they never asked for original US passport...we can apply for OCI and travel to india.....but now with Travisa, everything changed........even I emailed Travisa at DC about withdrawing my daughters OCI application for PIO card holder...they told they won't refund the money and also PIO card might be cancelled...i have to apply for visa to travel...it's total bs.....if anybody has plans for summer travel, don't apply for OCI now........

Yeah what's the point of Travisa if there's still a backlog??? I hope my surrender certificate application doesn't take that long! Anyway, they're raising the fees to $15 from next week so maybe they'll be hiring more staff.

Finally Travisa NY acknowledged having received my OCI (March 21 - took them 9 business days), it will be forwarded to the consulate shortly.

btsxmt,

Since our timeline is almost the same, just curious if your OCI has been dispatched/recd by consulate/and PP received by you - please update. Thanks

I would say, talk to the consulate and send email to everyone.

I have not received any email response yet from Travisa or Consulate and the consulate pretty much ignored all my plea, even though they know they messed up.

Give a try, maybe you will get luck and hopefully they will be forced to change the rule for the 1000's of people who are in the same boat as us.

Someone is definitely making money (either consulate or Travisa) in between this mess.

i wouldn't keep my hopes up.

I sent them my 250 penalty along with the 2 renunciation forms and 20 dollar fee to travisa and still hasn't received an acknowledgement from them yet.

The lady at the Travisa pretty much yells at me when i call her. So im so out of luck now

Yes.. The SAGA of CANCELLED passports and 250USD penalty Continues. viksvivek, skb2005, shahgk..and who knows how many more.

Those who had forecasted / predicted that this Surrender Certificate will again be retroactively be made mandatory slowly with stealth have been proved correct.

Travisa / NY consulate now need Surrender certificates for any consular services for even existing OCI holders. Moreover the "Cancelled"stamp and our OCI registration from 2005 onwards in our passports is not enough ! It should be "Canceled as acquired US citizenship".
Wonder how this could be our fault when consulates were just Cancelling the passports without proper stamps in 2006 when we acquired OCI certificates ! So we think ..OK ..it will be another 20 dollars as we had acquired US citizenship prior to May 2010. But wait .. NOW ... when we get to do this Renounciation process Online we get slapped a penalty of 250 dollars automatically because Indian passport has expired after 1st Jan 2005.

Wonder when this confusion will be sorted out. I sincerely pray and hope that this is sorted out soon and Cancelled stamp will be acceptable without penalty.

I personally know many people who have similar notifications ! viksvivek, skb2005, shahgk.. have posted their stories in this thread. This will mean that potentially thousands of people who have acquired OCI during 2006 to 2010 and have "Cancelled" stamp as opposed to "Canceled as acquired US citizenship". will for no fault of theirs have to face a penalty All of us have got the OCIs after 2005 as scheme was formalised late 2005 and innaugurated in Pravasi Bharatiya day on 2006 anyway and many would have just "Cancelled" stamps.

Having said that I agree that there has to be penalty for people who have misused the Indian passports and travelled on it even after obtaining US citizenships.

Tried calling and e-mailing both NY Consulate and Travisa many times with curt replies..

Good Luck to everyone !

Here are conflicting / confusing information in different Jurisdications

1) indianconsulate.com/5OtherConsularServices/1CitizenshipRenunciation.html
Please note that if you have acquired US (foreign) Citizenship on or before 31 May 2010 and if you have "Cancelled" stamp on your Indian passport, then there is a no requirement of acquiring "Surrender Certificate". If you do not have a cancelled stamp on Indian passport then you need to get the "Surrender Certificate".

2) news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/02/citizenship-rules-changes-relief-to-indian-community.htm
Those who currently hold an Overseas Citizen of India card or a Person of Indian Origin card are not required to undertake these procedures.

3) indiacgny.org/UserFiles/Renunciation%20scenarios(3).pdf

NY Consulate Declaration of renunciation surrender certificate under different situations

4) sikhcoalition.org/documents/SurrenderCertificateFAQSAALT.pdf
How to Meet Indian Citizenship Renunciation and Surrender Certificate Requirements:
Information for Former Indian Citizens September 2010

5) cgihouston.org/NEWADVISORY.doc
Latest advisory regarding renunciation of Indian nationality

Good Luck

I was slapped with the $250 fine even though my passport expired in 2005, but I just never renewed it and only became a citizen last month. The software has a bug, so I called and was told to include a cover letter mentioning I spoke with Sonia (the manager or something) and that she said it would be ok not to pay the penalty. I'm still waiting on my SC. Let's see when I get it, next week hopefully.

Contacted TraVisa NY office.

Good news:
* I had forgotten to send Order form. They told don't worry, since it is in their system they will take printout.

Bad news:
* Because of high volume - Current Backlog of 3 to 4 weeks to open envelops and acknowledge.

* Because of high volume it is taking around 2 months with consulate after they open your envelop.

* Cancel Process - If process is started with consulate and if you cancel then there is no refund.

I am planning to go in Jun/Jul time frame. I shouldn't have started OCI process.

pachhacard, snm65 - please keep in touch and share your status.

Thank you for the update.. Let's keep tracking. Looks like everything is delayed. I got my SC early this year - should've just applied for VISA :-(

Do you know how long the cancel process is going to take and any chances for us to withdraw the application before consulate process starts ?

Thx
RB

Today I sent the applications for SC for myself and my wife. I am hoping to get it by end of this month. Which exactly gives me little over 6 weeks before my wife needs to travel.
So I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully Travisa & Indian Consulate will speed up things . May be I will be able to get the OCI. If not then I guess Visitor VISA is the only option left.

Travisa / NY consulate now need Surrender certificates for any consular services for even existing OCI holders. Moreover the "Cancelled"stamp and our OCI registration from 2005 onwards in our passports is not enough ! It should be "Canceled as acquired US citizenship".
Wonder how this could be our fault when consulates were just Cancelling the passports without proper stamps in 2006 when we acquired OCI certificates ! So we think ..OK ..it will be another 20 dollars as we had acquired US citizenship prior to May 2010. But wait .. NOW ... when we get to do this Renounciation process Online we get slapped a penalty of 250 dollars automatically because Indian passport has expired after 1st Jan 2005.

I was slapped with the $250 fine even though my passport expired in 2005, but I just never renewed it and only became a citizen last month. The software has a bug, so I called and was told to include a cover letter mentioning I spoke with Sonia (the manager or something) and that she said it would be ok not to pay the penalty. I'm still waiting on my SC. Let's see when I get it, next week hopefully.

Yes. Sonia seems to be very professional person to deal with. I had interacted with that consultant once after many failed calls. At that time they did not suggest to write a cover letter to plead this case. They were firm that the penalty stands. Well in the end I withdrew my application on Monday but it took Travisa until Friday to finally FedEx the original passports and other documents that were already submitted.

But good thing is they wrote the refund cheque for the High Commission charges

So overall their service fee, 40 dollars FedEx charges were wasted. And lots of lots of agony and pain for following this up since Mid February 2011 :( .