OCI - New York Tracker

Do NOT SPREAD FALSE NEWS

I find people are posting wrong news. Printing of OCI cards has never been stopped. No doubt there had been problems of printing due to poor quality of photos submitted by applicants. This has always been problem when the photos are not as per requirement specified by GOI.

What has been stopped is receipt of new applications by New York and Chicago on the pretext of technical problem of OCI processing website. I think it is plain lie. If OCI processing website is having problems, why it is not affecting DC, SFO and Houston????

I tried a dummy OCI registration and the system is working and accepts new applications. What is the real reason NYC and CHI have stopped accepting new applicants ??? How can one force Indian Embassy at DC to take action against errant consulates???

Thanks for your response!

I would suggest you to go to any nearest US court. There is a free counselling cell in the court. Approach them and ask for a petition of name change. If all goes well may be this will be done in one hour else it can be done in few days. Take all your documents and paper work. You can also research on the website and may be on these forums. I came across many situation where people did this name change. DO some google search and hope it helps.

The address proof need to be 2 different kind. Hence send 2 copies of DL and 2 copies of utility bill or bank statement.

Please make sure that you follow what the consulate requires. As this is very important that you must satisfy or fulfill the consulate rules.

You can also send an email to the Consulate General for clarification of the name change rule. Hopefully he will reply and that is posted on his website "Please contact the CG for any unresolved matter"

Wish you the best....

Hello Goan Boy

You are welcome...

This is what I found below for name change petition in any NY. I live in NYC but I think NJ will have the same procedures or similar. May be the fees are less.

New York City Civil Court Name Changes
If you live in New York City, you may bring a name change proceeding in any county in the city. It costs $65.00 to change a name in Civil Court. You can use the Civil Court's free and easy DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Forms to make an adult name change Petition or a minor name change Petition. Or go the Name Change Forms list for free civil court forms that you need, or you may go to the name change location in the courthouse and get the forms from the court clerk. You must fill out the forms and bring them to the courthouse.

If you were born in New York State, you need to bring either an original or certified copy of your birth certificate. If you were not born in New York State, you need to bring proof of your birth, as well. The papers will be reviewed by the court clerk and submitted to a judge. If the judge says yes to your name change, you will have to publish your new name in a newspaper. The newspaper charges a fee for publishing your name change.

Name change requests can be viewed by anyone because they are public records. Please tell the clerk, before you file your petition, if you want to keep your name change private for safety or other reasons. The Clerk will tell you how you can request to seal your records and/or avoid publication of your name change.

If your situation is difficult, you see if you can find legal assistance to help you in preparing the papers. You may also review the New York State Civil Rights Act, sections 60 to 65.

I had posted the following on 9/29 and got no feedback. Would appreciate any response from folks on this forum.

OCI Application Returned

I have a peculiar problem that I am facing. I had asked for simultaneous cancellation of my passport at the time of applying for my OCI. It took them a month to return it!

My OCI application was returned by CGNY with the following comments:
1.'Name Change' Petition from US authorities as the name in the US passport does not tally with the name in Indian Passport
2. Proof of address in our jurisdiction

On the 2nd point, I had already provided a copy of my NJ Driver's license with the address showing!

On the 1st point, my original Indian passport had a long name eg
My name + Father's name + a composite family name; typical of Goan family names! Just as an example "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar"
While issuing the Green Card, the INS did not use the 1st part of the family name and it suited fine, as there was no discrepancy. Thereafter the Citizenship was also granted that way! "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar" was turned into "Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar" -- without the Shenvi.
Now the Consulate is asking for "Attach name change petition copy from court order"

Any clues on how I can go about resolving this? My Green Card was issued over 20 years ago and my US Citizenship over 10!

I had posted this earlier on but appears nobody saw it! Does anybody on this forum have any suggestions?

Thanks!

You have to be there between 9-11 a.m.

You must take the US passport to affix the OCI visa. Also take the Indian Passport if not cancelled yet. If you have a PIO Card please submit on that day.

Very important to take a printout of the Status page which shows that your OCI has been received by the NY consulate.

As per the holiday list of NY consulate it looks like they are open on Monday October 11, 2010.

Congrats and wish you the best.

My OCI is approved what do I need to know while collecting it personally.

1. What time of the day
2. What documents to take with you
3. I think they are open on Oct 11th.

Thanks
BK

thanks ashokevihar

thanks
You have to be there between 9-11 a.m.

You must take the US passport to affix the OCI visa. Also take the Indian Passport if not cancelled yet. If you have a PIO Card please submit on that day.

Very important to take a printout of the Status page which shows that your OCI has been received by the NY consulate.

As per the holiday list of NY consulate it looks like they are open on Monday October 11, 2010.

Congrats and wish you the best.

SAM_C, You Are Wrong. this forum is FORUM>> After GreenCard and US Citizenship>>OCI Overseas Citizenship Issues. This part is not about US Citizensip. You know who should go?????

Lucky Girl...SAPNA

The whole process of OCI was completed in 9 days.........unbelievable.

It was started on Sep 8, 2010 and OCI received by NY consulate on Sep 17, 2010.

I wish the consulate can do this speed for all OCI applicants. They might have to do some extra work but that's what they are paid for. It will be so nice for them - no complaints and appreciation all over.

One more application that was accepted, scanned, granted in 1 day - File No. USAN01852010.

The PLOT THICKENS.........

This one was not done that fast, still pretty fast: File Acknowledgment Number USAN01656710

I used to have a list of USANs that appeared to have been processed out of turn, but I deleted the file recently.

The whole process of OCI was completed in 9 days.........unbelievable.

It was started on Sep 8, 2010 and OCI received by NY consulate on Sep 17, 2010.

I wish the consulate can do this speed for all OCI applicants. They might have to do some extra work but that's what they are paid for. It will be so nice for them - no complaints and appreciation all over.

Sorry, my postings were not to spread false news, but I was just trying to share information I got from other forums and from certain Indian consulate websites. You are probably right in saying that printing of OCI was never stopped; but there surely was some issues with printing them and they surely were not due to poor quality photographs.

However, based on my observations there has been a complete half of OCI printing for a few days. As for your question why it is not affecting DC, SFO and Houston????, I don't have any answer other than the following taken from the SFO website: There are certain technical difficulties in printing OCI cards in India.

By the way, when did you try the dummy registration? Could it be after the system started working again?

I find people are posting wrong news. Printing of OCI cards has never been stopped. No doubt there had been problems of printing due to poor quality of photos submitted by applicants. This has always been problem when the photos are not as per requirement specified by GOI.

What has been stopped is receipt of new applications by New York and Chicago on the pretext of technical problem of OCI processing website. I think it is plain lie. If OCI processing website is having problems, why it is not affecting DC, SFO and Houston????

I tried a dummy OCI registration and the system is working and accepts new applications. What is the real reason NYC and CHI have stopped accepting new applicants ??? How can one force Indian Embassy at DC to take action against errant consulates???

I had done a dummy registration to check the website and it was working on October 4, 2010. The File number is USANI4771610, passport number 543345678 and DOB Jan 6,1977.

Your posting was not false news but collected from forums and consulate websites. This is what I concluded - there was some problem with the OCI printer in Delhi and looks like it has been fixed yesterday. This can be confirmed from the immihelp website of the OCI tracker as I see the dates of printing has just started back again.

This will definitely cause another backlog in the OCI process by at least 2 weeks or more.

Please ignore the false news post as you can comfirm from his other postings on this link

forumsdotimmigrationdotcom/showthread.php?219913-OCI-Chicago-Tracker&p=2230929#post2230929

Sorry, my postings were not to spread false news, but I was just trying to share information I got from other forums and from certain Indian consulate websites. You are probably right in saying that printing of OCI was never stopped; but there surely was some issues with printing them and they surely were not due to poor quality photographs.

However, based on my observations there has been a complete half of OCI printing for a few days. As for your question why it is not affecting DC, SFO and Houston????, I don't have any answer other than the following taken from the SFO website: There are certain technical difficulties in printing OCI cards in India.

By the way, when did you try the dummy registration? Could it be after the system started working again?

Hi Guys,

Wanted to share with you my OCI details:

Date Of Acknowledgment: 19-AUG-2010
Photo/Signature: Scanned On 31-AUG-2010
Registration Status: Granted On 01-SEP-2010
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 03-SEP-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 06-SEP-2010
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On: 16-SEP-2010
Got my US Passport stamped on: 29-Sep-2010

I got there around 10:30 in the morning. There was no line. In any case, they gave a separate entrance for OCI. I deposited my US PPT along with a printout from the website and that was it. I returned at 4:30 pm and got my PPT back with the sticker on it as well as the blue-colored OCI booklet.

Hi Guys,

I got there around 10:30 in the morning. There was no line. In any case, they gave a separate entrance for OCI. I deposited my US PPT along with a printout from the website and that was it. I returned at 4:30 pm and got my PPT back with the sticker on it as well as the blue-colored OCI booklet.

Bad Karma,
Congrats for your fairly quick process. I see the docs recd at NYCGI on 16th and you went to them on 29th. They delay was due to your personal preoccupation or some fault of NYCGI ????

Any options?

All,
I applied for our OCI (me and my family) in August. This included sending original PIO cards of my kids. The only status I have seen so far is acknowledgement on Sept 24th. Given the current situation, I am not sure when it is going to be granted.

I need to move back to India(for good) in the middle of Nov. I was hoping that in 3 months I would get my OCI(Alas!!! I was wrong)

I see 3 different options -
1. Get an entry visa for all of us. Not sure if I can request the original PIO cards. If I take the original PIO cards does that stop my OCI process.
2. Get an entry visa (just for me). Go back to India and have the remaining family join me once OCI is approved for everybody. Who knows when this is going to happen?
3. All of us wait for as long as OCI is approved. This might have other ramifications. Not sure how the future employer is going to take this.

My preferred one is option 1 if i could get a sense - What it means to the OCI process if we get kids' original PIO cards.

Of course, I still want to hang on the bare thread of optimism that our OCI's will get approved before Nov.

Aal izz well;-)
Any comments/suggestions or alternatives which might even be better than the above.
TIA

It looks like CGI Chicago has started accepting new/fresh OCI applications from October 11, 2010.

Also CGI New York has removed the previous message of not accepting new/fresh OCI applications.

Hopefully we will get more traction.....
Lets hope their printers keep printing.

Congratulations!

If you remember, could you please let me know the mailing date of your application and the date it was delivered at the consulate?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I would suggest to write to the NY consulate as it has been more than 8 weeks. Explain your situation and hopefully you would see some quick turnaround as the printer in New Delhi also has started working.
Any unresolved consular problems with our Consulate? Please send an e-mail to Consul General at cg@indiacgny.org or Deputy Consul General at dcg@indiacgny.org

Even the normal process of the OCI will get you there before mid NOV unless some untoward incidence like the printer failure. Then you other choices will have to be considered. But for now you should be writing email/fax/mail to the NY consulate for expediting your OCIs. Wish you the best....

All,
I applied for our OCI (me and my family) in August. This included sending original PIO cards of my kids. The only status I have seen so far is acknowledgement on Sept 24th. Given the current situation, I am not sure when it is going to be granted.

I need to move back to India(for good) in the middle of Nov. I was hoping that in 3 months I would get my OCI(Alas!!! I was wrong)

I see 3 different options -
1. Get an entry visa for all of us. Not sure if I can request the original PIO cards. If I take the original PIO cards does that stop my OCI process.
2. Get an entry visa (just for me). Go back to India and have the remaining family join me once OCI is approved for everybody. Who knows when this is going to happen?
3. All of us wait for as long as OCI is approved. This might have other ramifications. Not sure how the future employer is going to take this.

My preferred one is option 1 if i could get a sense - What it means to the OCI process if we get kids' original PIO cards.

Of course, I still want to hang on the bare thread of optimism that our OCI's will get approved before Nov.

Aal izz well;-)
Any comments/suggestions or alternatives which might even be better than the above.
TIA

My OCI application was returned because I did not include SC/copy of cancelled passport. I had included a letter stating that my passport has been lost/misplaced and I don't have it since 2000, and yet they send it back asking for it.

What am I supposed to do now? I tried email, phone, and can't get any response back.