OCI - New York Tracker

I don't have canceled stamp on copy of passport, originals are now with them waiting for SC, i can still send OCI application without canced copy?

Thanks

yes, send it... I have been told by Anju kumar that it is ok even when the SC was required. Just put in your cover letter that the passport was sent in for SC processing and include copy of passport (Indian)
A

I don't have canceled stamp on copy of passport, originals are now with them waiting for SC, i can still send OCI application without canced copy?

Thanks

yes, send it... I have been told by Anju kumar that it is ok even when the SC was required. Just put in your cover letter that the passport was sent in for SC processing and include copy of passport (Indian)
A

kmunna, I am in the same situation as you. But I received email from CG saying I need to send revised MO ($20 for passport cancellation + $20 mailing charges). I asked them if I can send my US passport & kid's PIO for stamping since my OCI status is received. Never received a response. Now I am not sure whether to get cancelled Indian passport first, and send revised MO, US passports, and PIO card.

kmunna, I am in the same situation as you. But I received email from CG saying I need to send revised MO ($20 for passport cancellation + $20 mailing charges). I asked them if I can send my US passport & kid's PIO for stamping since my OCI status is received. Never received a response. Now I am not sure whether to get cancelled Indian passport first, and send revised MO, US passports, and PIO card.

If you can a personal visit to the consulate may help... as they are all confused themselves...

A

I know about a Child OCI Card. Child had PIO Card and on her PIO card was her Thumb impression. Child OCI was applied with Parents OCI and child is 7 year old and on OCI application Child signed her name. Later for OCI collection her PIO card and US passport was sent for OCI collection to Indian consulate new York and her OCI booklet is signed by Vice Consul Pushpa Kumar and on her OCI card it does not have Child Signature and Signature part is Blank and all the other information is correct. I don’t know if child will have problems for Entry to India or not. NYC consulate sent her OCI and U visa in US passport but they did not sent cancelled PIO Card.

I just checked my daughter's OCI. It is the same as you mentioned. She did not sign the application. However, She had her fingerprint done on the OCI application. I do not see the fingerprint in the OCI card. She did have a PIO card Indian Consulate will not give the PIO card back, it needs to be surrendered,

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the email I received from CGI-NY on getting back the excess fees and process to follow:

Date: June 3, 2010 12:08:09 PM EDT

To:
Subject: Renunciation
XX

Dear Applicant,
This is to inform you that the Government of India has revised its guidelines regarding fee for Renouncing Indian Citizenship and obtaining Surrender Certificate for applicants who acquired foreign nationality before June 1, 2010.

The fee applicable in such cases is only $20. Your Indian passport will be cancelled (by putting a stamp which says ‘cancelled as holder acquired US citizenship’). No Surrender Certificate is required to be issued for those who acquired foreign nationality before June 1, 2010.

In view of the revised guidelines, we require you to send/bring the revised fee ($20 per applicant +$20 total mailing charges for the entire family in case you wish to receive your passport back by mail) urgently so that your Indian passports (along with your un-utilized money order) could be returned to you after cancellation.
You may wish to submit the revised fee in person at the Consulate (between 9.00 am-12.15 pm on a business day) and collect your cancelled passport the same day at 4.30 pm. You also have the option of sending the revised fee as money order along with a covering letter and additional $20 as mailing charges.

In both cases i.e. submitting at the counter or sending the revised fee by mail, you should give my name (RAVINDER KUMAR) and the number given on top of this letter as reference (also on the envelope in case of mailing) so that we may easily correlate your previous application with the revised fee submitted by you.

Thank you,
RAVINDER KUMAR
Consulate General of India

Hi BITA_IIMB, did you send the revised MO to consulate? Is your OCI application granted yet?

OCI current status

Hi,
I applied for OCI cards on March 25th and got acknowldgement on May 7th. The photos were scanned on
May 17th. It is exactly one month since I got the acknowledgement and the status is still 'Under Process'.
I even applied for SC and received the SC for me and my wife last week.
Does anyone got OCI documents at NY consulate with an acknowledgement date on or after May 7th?
Please let me know. We planned India trip this month end which is exactly 3 weeks away and our
OCI cards are still stuck in 'Under Process' status.
I am really concerned whether we will receive the OCI documents within the next 2 weeks. I don't know
what to do if we don't receive the documents within the next 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

regards,
JK

Hello Friends,
Any upate on 175 USD refund from GOI?
Thanks
Shankar.

The link on "Surrender Certificate" is back on the NY website.

No news about the refund or $175 paid by folks already prior to the latest changes, which means , money down the drain.

Idiots at work.

I spent some time tracking various file numbers. Looks like NY consulate has resumed the OCI processing and it has granted till USAN01008910 on Jun-07th. Based on your file#, you can see your position.

HTML:
===========================================================================================
File#          Ack date    Photoscan    Granted     Docprint    Docdispatch  Doc Arrived NY
===========================================================================================
USAN00839410   23-Apr-10   24-Apr-10    5-May-10    7-May-10    10-May-10    27-May-10
USAN00969510   3-May-10    5-May-10     6-May-10    10-May-10   11-May-10    27-May-10
USAN00969610   3-May-10    5-May-10     1-Jun-10    2-Jun-10    4-Jun-10     X
USAN00979610   3-May-10    6-May-10     2-Jun-10    2-Jun-10    4-Jun-10     X
USAN00989610   4-May-10    7-May-10     3-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN00999610   4-May-10    10-May-10    4-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN01000010   4-May-10    10-May-10    5-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN01002610   4-May-10    10-May-10    5-Jun-10    7-Jun-10    X            X
USAN01002710   4-May-10    10-May-10    7-Jun-10    X           X            X
USAN01008910   4-May-10    11-May-10    7-Jun-10    X           X            X
USAN01009010   4-May-10    10-May-10    X           X           X            X

I just checked my daughter's OCI. It is the same as you mentioned. She did not sign the application. However, She had her fingerprint done on the OCI application. I do not see the fingerprint in the OCI card. She did have a PIO card Indian Consulate will not give the PIO card back, it needs to be surrendered,
did your daughter traveled to India with OCI that does not have her signature or her thumb Impression on OCI Card? It seems to me that they may not put Thumb or Child Signature on Child OCI Card. confusion is then why they need child Thumb or signature on OCI Application?

This is new language on CGINY

Indian citizens acquiring foreign citizenship are required to renounce their Indian citizenship and surrender their Indian passports for cancellation. They are issued a surrender certificate by the Consulate.

Till 31st May, 2010, the fee applicable for renunciation of Indian citizenship and obtaining a surrender certificate was US $ 175. However, with effect from 1st June, 2010, the Government of India has made a relaxation in regard to the rules.

In this regard, please note that:

Persons of Indian origin who acquired foreign citizenship on or before 31st May, 2010 should approach the Consulate for cancelling their passports if this has not been already done. They will have to pay cancellation charge of US $ 20 per person in addition to mailing charges of US $ 20.

Indian citizens acquiring foreign citizenship on or after 1st June, 2010 will have to pay a renunciation fee of US $ 175 per person (in addition to mailing charges of US $ 20 for cancellation of Indian passports). Penalties would be applicable in case such passports are not surrendered within 90 days of acquiring foreign citizenship.

If you can a personal visit to the consulate may help... as they are all confused themselves...

A

Just noticed on NY website. There is a change in reqd docs for OCI application. Now they want Two copies of cancelled Indian Passport (First 3 pages and page with parent’s names). I guess I better get cancelled PP before I apply for OCI stamping.

Visited CGI NY today to pick up Surrender Certificate and OCI

I went to CGI-NY today and after spending 4 hours there got my Surrender Certificate, Indian Passport with the red “Cancelled as holder acquired US Citizenship” stamp and also my US Passport with the OCI stamp and the OCI Registration document. I also got back the difference between $ 175 and $20 for the Surrender Certificate.

As I had indicated in my earlier post, I had received an email from CGI-NY to come with the payment for $ 20 and get my Surrender Certificate and my original payment of $ 155.

I reached the Consulate at around 9:25 AM and the line had almost reached Madison Avenue. At around 10:50 AM I reached the head of the stairs going down to the Basement. At that moment, the Security Guard came around to say that for those picking up OCI, there was no need to stand in the queue. So a waste of almost 90 minutes of my time.

Anyway, I went to Window 2 and gave the gentleman the OCI Acknowledgement printouts and our US Passports. The only question I was asked whether I had PIO card to surrender. When I replied in the negative, I was asked to come back at 1:00 PM to pick up the OCI Cards.

I then showed the email from Mr. Ravinder Kumar asking me to come to the Consulate to give them MO for $ 20 and take back the $ 155 I had mailed in for Surrender Certificate. I was asked to go to the Interview Room. There a lady was collecting such emails from several folks and also noting down the names of the people who said they had received phone calls. After a wait of around 30 minutes she called out my name, gave me back my MO for $ 720 and took a new MO for $ 80 (for a family of four) and asked me to wait outside Counter No. 8 where they would call out my name. I waited for an hour by counter 8 before they called me and gave me back the Indian passports with a red “Cancelled as holder acquired US Citizenship” stamp on page 1 and a copy of the Surrender Certificate with bottom box signed by a Mr. S S Dhariwal, Assistant Consular Officer.

I then went back to Counter No. 3 and after a wait of about 15 minutes received back our US Passports with the OCI Visa and our OCI Registration documents.

I received my daughter and son's OCI, and even though my daughter signed the application and I put my son's thumb impression, those fields are blank on the OCI registration booklet.

Just noticed on NY website. There is a change in reqd docs for OCI application. Now they want Two copies of cancelled Indian Passport (First 3 pages and page with parent’s names). I guess I better get cancelled PP before I apply for OCI stamping.

Why do they need the Naturalization Certificate copy yet again for the OCI application when they already ask for the Surrender Certificate as a part of the OCI application. You can't get the Surrender Certificate without showing them a copy of the Naturalization Certificate to begin with. I am convinced, more than ever, that the morons who work in the CGI-NY do absolutely no thinking when they create and re-create their requirements lists. This is absurd.

EDIT: It seems that only those who became US citizens after June 1st need to submit Nat Certs for their renunciation / Surrender Certificates. This will be changed to include everyone soon enough, I am confident of that and it will make the idiocy of the above requirement all-inclusive again.

The idiocy continues

The new renunciation list of docs says that only those who acquire foreign citizenship after June 1st need to show proof of that (ie, Nat Cert for US citizenship). Why only those who got citizenship after June 1st? My point is that it seems they want us to prove to them that we need to pay $175 + $20 because we got foreign citizenship after June 1st. This is crazy because I would obviously be paying that damn $175 + $20 and if I had gotten my citizenship before June 1st, I would pay the damn $20 + $20 fees because why would I pay more? They should be asking everyone to show their Nat Certs, especially those who became citizens before June 1st because they would be paying less money into those greedy coffers of the CGI-NY/GOI and wouldn't the CGI-NY want to ensure that people paying less are actually eligible to do so? What a bunch of third-rate, wait make that fourth-rate, idiots that they send to run the consulates out here. These people absolutely cannot think outside the box and visualize the impact of what they're asking for. Expect another update coming shortly where they ask everyone to submit their Nat Certs as part of their renunciation applications.

Thanks for sharing the invaluable information. Can you share when your OCI was received in NY and when did you apply for the surrender certificate. There is no news on mine and I am trying to figure out who they are responding to - people who sent thier PP for cancellation in May or June. Thanks

I went to CGI-NY today and after spending 4 hours there got my Surrender Certificate, Indian Passport with the red “Cancelled as holder acquired US Citizenship” stamp and also my US Passport with the OCI stamp and the OCI Registration document. I also got back the difference between $ 175 and $20 for the Surrender Certificate.

As I had indicated in my earlier post, I had received an email from CGI-NY to come with the payment for $ 20 and get my Surrender Certificate and my original payment of $ 155.

I reached the Consulate at around 9:25 AM and the line had almost reached Madison Avenue. At around 10:50 AM I reached the head of the stairs going down to the Basement. At that moment, the Security Guard came around to say that for those picking up OCI, there was no need to stand in the queue. So a waste of almost 90 minutes of my time.

Anyway, I went to Window 2 and gave the gentleman the OCI Acknowledgement printouts and our US Passports. The only question I was asked whether I had PIO card to surrender. When I replied in the negative, I was asked to come back at 1:00 PM to pick up the OCI Cards.

I then showed the email from Mr. Ravinder Kumar asking me to come to the Consulate to give them MO for $ 20 and take back the $ 155 I had mailed in for Surrender Certificate. I was asked to go to the Interview Room. There a lady was collecting such emails from several folks and also noting down the names of the people who said they had received phone calls. After a wait of around 30 minutes she called out my name, gave me back my MO for $ 720 and took a new MO for $ 80 (for a family of four) and asked me to wait outside Counter No. 8 where they would call out my name. I waited for an hour by counter 8 before they called me and gave me back the Indian passports with a red “Cancelled as holder acquired US Citizenship” stamp on page 1 and a copy of the Surrender Certificate with bottom box signed by a Mr. S S Dhariwal, Assistant Consular Officer.

I then went back to Counter No. 3 and after a wait of about 15 minutes received back our US Passports with the OCI Visa and our OCI Registration documents.

My OCI was received at CGI-NY on May 12, 2010. I mailed in my application for Renunciation/Surrender Certificate on May 25, 2010.

CGINY website has new language on SC.... sooooooooooo UNFAIRRRRRRRR!!!

Indian citizens acquiring foreign citizenship are required to renounce their Indian citizenship and surrender their Indian passports for cancellation. They are issued a surrender certificate by the Consulate.

Till 31st May, 2010, the fee applicable for renunciation of Indian citizenship and obtaining a surrender certificate was US $ 175. Penalties were also applicable in certain cases. However, with effect from 1st June, 2010, the Government of India has made a relaxation in regard to cases to be processed in future.

Persons of Indian origin who acquired foreign citizenship on or before 31st May, 2010 should approach the Consulate for cancelling their passports if this has not been already done. They will have to pay cancellation charge of US $ 20 per person in addition to mailing charges of US $ 20. This relaxation will not cover applications processed before 1st June 2010.

However, Indian citizens acquiring foreign citizenship on or after 1st June, 2010 will have to pay the renunciation fee of US $ 175 per person (in addition to mailing charges of US $ 20 for cancellation of Indian passports). Penalties would be applicable in case such passports are not surrendered within 90 days of acquiring foreign citizenship.

CGINY website has new language on SC.... sooooooooooo UNFAIRRRRRRRR!!!

Till 31st May, 2010, the fee applicable for renunciation of Indian citizenship and obtaining a surrender certificate was US $ 175. Penalties were also applicable in certain cases. However, with effect from 1st June, 2010, the Government of India has made a relaxation in regard to cases to be processed in future.

Persons of Indian origin who acquired foreign citizenship on or before 31st May, 2010 should approach the Consulate for cancelling their passports if this has not been already done. They will have to pay cancellation charge of US $ 20 per person in addition to mailing charges of US $ 20. This relaxation will not cover applications processed before 1st June 2010.

I agree completely. Charging $175 for people who made the payment is punishing people who wanted to comply with the law sooner than later espescially with the 90 day limit looming in front of us.

For all those whose OCI was held because of SC and for those whose 90 day time limit was approaching, did we have any choice at all to wait ?
How do we join forces to put up a front for this ? Attorneys , petitions, Assocs - any one willing to help us? This is utter nonsense. Even if we dont get our money back, I wish we at least raise our voice against such horrible policies.

Also how come SFO web site still says 'The issue of refund of any part of renunciation fee already paid by applicants till 31 May 2010, if applicable, has been taken up with the Government of India. The decision when received will be uniformly applied to those concerned and the information will be put on our website when available. Meanwhile no email/phone queries will be entertained'.

Can nothing be done for such inconsistencies ? Unless we get some attorneys or assoc heads into the picture this may end up futile . What does the office of Mr. Rajiv Khanna think on this ? Moderators- Please appraise. if it is pointless to think about the refund, let us know.