OCI - New York Tracker

Congratulations!!

Congratulations!!

Lucky for you, you were able to go and pickup your passports.

Some people have hard time getting there passports back in time or needed several e-mail communications. My OCI is granted but I keep my fingered crossed till I get the passports.

OCI RCEIVED

Mailed on: 02/22/10
Received by NYCGI on: 02/23/10
Photo/signature scanned on: 03/08/10
Granted on: 03/10/10
Printed on: 03/23/10
Mailed on: 03/26/10
Reached NYCGI on: 04/03/10
Collected fron NYCGI on: 04/05/10

The process was efficient. The gentleman who collected our passports was very courteous. The Indian passports were returned immediately after cancellation. Dropped our passports at 09:45AM with printouts of OCI enquiry form; Went there at 12:45pm. There was slight delay in delvering. By 01:15pm, we received our OCI cards and visa stamped US passports. I have to say that the whole process was smooth and efficient.

Proof of residency?

Am seeing on the forum that folks have sent utility bills etc.. what is this about? I didn't see anything on the application about sending any proof of residency.

I sent my application (in duplicate) with self attested copies of the front and back pages of my India and US passports.

Looks like I will have to send 2 extra photos.. it was mentioned in the FAQ section on the website but not on the application and I missed it. What is the best way to send it, so they are able to get it all in the same file. My application was received yesterday as per USPS tracking. But no update on their website.

Thanks,
SB

Am seeing on the forum that folks have sent utility bills etc.. what is this about? I didn't see anything on the application about sending any proof of residency.

I sent my application (in duplicate) with self attested copies of the front and back pages of my India and US passports.

Looks like I will have to send 2 extra photos.. it was mentioned in the FAQ section on the website but not on the application and I missed it. What is the best way to send it, so they are able to get it all in the same file. My application was received yesterday as per USPS tracking. But no update on their website.

Thanks,
SB

update:
I just talked to a someone at the NY consulate and they said I would have to wait for the application to be sent back and then resend it all.
So I am thinking about starting a new application online and emailing a new package; when the old one comes back, I shall cancel the money order. They said this would work too. Any issues with having multiple online Part A?

And I also found the page on the NY consulate website that talks about the proof of address; main OCI info page
but in all the other sections; they don't mention it : (

Am I missing anything?
- Application Part A and Part B with photo and sig x2
- Extra (1) photo x2
- Self attested (signature plus date) copies of front and back pages of Indian and US passport x 2
- Copy of drivers license x 2 - do i need to attest?
- Utility Bill printed online x 2
- Bank Statement signed by bank x 2 -- this was consulate persons idea
- $275 money order x 1

Last edited by a moderator:
update:
I just talked to a someone at the NY consulate and they said I would have to wait for the application to be sent back and then resend it all.

---it may take 25-30 days for them to Return your application.
So I am thinking about starting a new application online and emailing a new package;
------what do you mean by "emailing a new package"?. you must again register online then take the prinout and then fill the new application forms and you will have Different online registration number, then paste your photo on Form A and Fill up form B and attach copy of US passport, Indian Passport, Fees, Extra photo and TWO Proofs of USA Residency like Copy of your DL and Copy of your Utility bill
when the onl one comes back, I shall cancel the money order. They said this would work too. Any issues with having multiple online Part A?
So before I send my app again, can someone tell me what exactly I need to send. I am the only applicant.
---read above
- Application Part A and Part B with photo and sig x2 (two Copies of Part A with Photo Pasted)
- Extra photo x2
- Self attested (signature plus date) copies of front and back pages of Indian and US passport x 2
- Copy of drivers license x 2 - do i need to attest?-YES
- Utility Bill printed online x 2
- Bank Statement signed by bank x 2 -- this was consulate persons idea

what else? I really do need to get my OCI in the next 2 months :
(

---------------

Am seeing on the forum that folks have sent utility bills etc.. what is this about?
---They started asking for this in Feb-2010, One should send Copy of DL and Utility Bill as Proof of Residency in USA

I didn't see anything on the application about sending any proof of residency.
---Application dont have info But Consulate need it.
-------If Utlity bill Copy or DL copy not sent they will send your Packet back to you in 25-30 days from the date they got it or when they open it.
Looks like I will have to send 2 extra photos.. it was mentioned in the FAQ section on the website but not on the application and I missed it. What is the best way to send it, so they are able to get it all in the same file.
------Seand Extra 2-3 photo and Copy of Utility bills and write on letter that Your online Registration number is USANIXXXXXXX, your name date you sent the application and make request to that please attach the Utility bill and Ptographs to your application online Registration USANIXXXXXX. OUT SIDE THE ENVELOPE write in bold letters Please Attach the Utility bill and Photographs with online registration USANIXXXXXXX for OCI application

My application was received yesterday as per USPS tracking.
But no update on their website.
----------They dont update that your Packet is recieved.
Thanks,
SB
------------

---------------

sorry, that is what i meant. so used to typing "email"; i meant to say start a fresh app online and "mail" the package again.

i guess i will attest the utility bill too.

thanks!!

===
one more Q - better to send a new application or send the additional documents with the reference number? i am leaning towards new application; unless I get some error message saying there is already an application with the same passport number and DOB.

sorry, that is what i meant. so used to typing "email"; i meant to say start a fresh app online and "mail" the package again.

i guess i will attest the utility bill too.

thanks!!

===
one more Q - better to send a new application
I will go for online registration ,will print new application forms and prefer to send new application so that they find everting required in the envelope. and when they return your Old application to you keep it with you.

or send the additional documents with the reference number?
------

i am leaning towards new application;
---That is better option and Talk to your bank and cancell your old Check once your New application reach Consulate.

unless I get some error message saying there is already an application with the same passport number and DOB.
----------

PIO contact info atCGI NY?

Ginnu/Other forum members:

Sorry to post in the wrong thread but is there a contact email for PIO Vice Consul? just like Mrs. Pushpa Kumar?
I have sent my son's PIO Card to have the new passport no. endorsed and it has been 2 and half week since the time I have sent it. Has anyone gotten this service done from CGI NY and know how long does it take?
thanks!

Ginnu/Other forum members:

Sorry to post in the wrong thread but is there a contact email for PIO Vice Consul? just like Mrs. Pushpa Kumar?
I have sent my son's PIO Card to have the new passport no. endorsed and it has been 2 and half week since the time I have sent it. Has anyone gotten this service done from CGI NY and know how long does it take?
thanks!

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=179
To endorse new passport No. on PIO card

To endorse new passport number, both passports and PIO card in original are required. There is no form if applied at the counter. If applied by mail, please add a request letter and return mailing charges (US$ 20/- by money order or certified check).

General Inquiries and the Supply of Forms
Please write to:
Information Desk, Passport and Visa Wing,
Consulate General of India,
3 East 64th Street,
New York, N.Y. 10065
Fax: (212) 570-9581
E-mail: passport@indiacgny.org

You can also send Email to: cg@indiacgny.org

PIO Card status Inquiries:
Phone: (212) 774-0666
Hours: 9.30 a.m. - 12.30 p.m.

Passport status Inquiries:
Phone: (212) 774-0641
Hours: 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Consul (Visa & PIO):
Mr. N.K. Sarawat
Phone: (212) 774-0629
Fax: (212) 570-9581

VJ, Glad that everything went smoothly. Good for you! :)

Do you know cut-off time in the morning for dropping off the passports and picking up the OCI?

I know the prior threads said it was 11 am but think the website also mentioned between 12.30 and 1. (Trying to see if I could go there in person around 12.30 drop off whatever is required and hang around 1.30 to pick it up.)

Also, can you confirm that all you need to take are the two passports and a print out of the webpage that shows the docs have been recvd?

Thanks,

VJ, Glad that everything went smoothly. Good for you! :)

Do you know cut-off time in the morning for dropping off the passports and picking up the OCI?

I know the prior threads said it was 11 am but think the website also mentioned between 12.30 and 1. (Trying to see if I could go there in person around 12.30 drop off whatever is required and hang around 1.30 to pick it up.)

Also, can you confirm that all you need to take are the two passports and a print out of the webpage that shows the docs have been recvd?

Thanks,

KPRajan,

When we went to the consulate around 8:45 AM, there was a long line waiting for various consular services. Though some people told us that we dont need to be in the line as we were only going to drop our passports there, we chose to stand in the line. We could get to counter 4 around 9:45AM. We gave a cover letter, the online-enquiry form printouts and our US/Indian Passports. The gentleman at the counter gave back the cover letter, placed the 'cancelled' seal in our Indian passports and returned our Indian Passports immediately. He asked us to come back between 12:30pm and 1:00pm for collecting our stamped US passports and the OCI cards. People in the line told us that they are a bit rigid and would accept our passports/papers only till 11:00AM. As we did not stay there after we handed our passports, we are not sure whether they will accept beyond 11:00 AM. It might be in your interest to get there a bit early and get done with it. Hope this helps.

KPRajan,

When we went to the consulate around 8:45 AM, there was a long line waiting for various consular services. Though some people told us that we dont need to be in the line as we were only going to drop our passports there, we chose to stand in the line. We could get to counter 4 around 9:45AM. We gave a cover letter, the online-enquiry form printouts and our US/Indian Passports. The gentleman at the counter gave back the cover letter, placed the 'cancelled' seal in our Indian passports and returned our Indian Passports immediately. He asked us to come back between 12:30pm and 1:00pm for collecting our stamped US passports and the OCI cards. People in the line told us that they are a bit rigid and would accept our passports/papers only till 11:00AM. As we did not stay there after we handed our passports, we are not sure whether they will accept beyond 11:00 AM. It might be in your interest to get there a bit early and get done with it. Hope this helps.

Thanks VJ! Let me leave right away and try to get there by 11.