OCI - Houston Tracker

chunu123 ! Yes, the FedEx needed my signature. They left a door tag and I went to the FedEx location last evening and picked it up.

Cancelling the indian passport..

Guys i got my US passport in June... I still havn't canceled my indian passport.I thought i will send them for cancellation when i send my US passport for OCI stamping.Is that Ok or should i cancel it ASAP.??

Also iam planning to go to india in couple of months and i dont think i will get my OCI by then.So i get my OCI approved when i am not in US, can i come back form india say after 3 months and then send my US/Indian passport?.Will my OCi approval state remain the same.Or do i have to do the whole process again....??

Guys i got my US passport in June... I still havn't canceled my indian passport.I thought i will send them for cancellation when i send my US passport for OCI stamping.Is that Ok or should i cancel it ASAP.??

Also iam planning to go to india in couple of months and i dont think i will get my OCI by then.So i get my OCI approved when i am not in US, can i come back form india say after 3 months and then send my US/Indian passport?.Will my OCi approval state remain the same.Or do i have to do the whole process again....??

No, you don't have to cancel you Indian passport ASAP - you can send it when you collect your OCI docs.

If you don't get your OCI process completed before your trip to India, don't worry, you can collect your docs after your return - they will hold them for you. You don't have to restart the process.

Well, God smiled on me today!! I got my US passports with the U Visa, my cancelled India passports and the new OCI books today by FedEx.

Thanks to everyone who kept company throughout the process!!

Congrats - great news for you!

How come this is FedEx? Dont you send a USPS Express mail self addressed envelope or is this just a different procedure in this consulate?

Congrats - great news for you!

How come this is FedEx? Dont you send a USPS Express mail self addressed envelope or is this just a different procedure in this consulate?

As I had mentioned earlier (in some other thread, I think) - some consulates ask for $20 in lieu of stamped USPS envelope and then use whatever means is convenient to them to send the OCI docs back.

OCI Application Sent: 05/30/2008
OCI Application Received by Houston CGI: 05/31/2008
Acknowledgment: 07/16/2008
Scanned: 08/04/2008
Granted: 08/13/2008
Printed: 08/14/2008
Dispatched: 08/19/08
Documents received at Houston: ?

Forgot the OCI application number

akgarg thanxs for the info..... :)

i just realized that i lost my OCI application number. how can i find my application status?.Do i get a physical confirmation(postal mail) ??.If i can only view the confirmation online.what is the best way to get the application number or know my status....??

Documents received at Houston: ?
Your app has moved very fast. Congratulations....

So, are you planning to take a VISA (to go to India)? In that case, you can get your Indian passport cancelled when you apply for the Visa.

I had to apply for new US passports - for myself, my husband, and my two kids. The Indian consulate lost all our passports. And never ever could find it. Even though we have acknowledgement saying they received it. They have our OCI card and sticker. Now I am ready to apply for the OCI miscellaneous form. Is this the online application that was used.
http://www.cgihouston.org/OverseasCitizenship.html

Has somebody done the same. When I enter my information It says cannot be validated. just frustrated at this point.

Acknowledgment from Houston Consulate

I mailed my OCI application on 8/19/08 and according to USPS they delivered it on 8/21/08.

How long does it take for the Consulate acknowledge the receipt? how many days to view it online?

Thanx in advance.

I mailed my OCI application on 8/19/08 and according to USPS they delivered it on 8/21/08.

How long does it take for the Consulate acknowledge the receipt? how many days to view it online?

Thanx in advance.

Consulate doesn't acknowledge anything - expect to see online acknowledgment in 2-3 weeks. Keep checking on Houston thread for time lines of other posters whose applications were mailed around the same time to get a better idea.

Search for a hack that was posted on this forum to get your application number. But only thing is that it had to be acknowledged. I did same for my son's application number. I had a day off once so went through each and every number backwards and found my son's application.

go to

http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp?FILERFNO=USAH00xxxx08

acknowledge number is USAHI0xxxx08

roughly the file numbers for xxxx are in 4000 range. Don't change 08 as it is the year. same with ack. number too if you have applied in june/july time frame.

Happy fishing!
s_a_kumar

akgarg thanxs for the info..... :)

i just realized that i lost my OCI application number. how can i find my application status?.Do i get a physical confirmation(postal mail) ??.If i can only view the confirmation online.what is the best way to get the application number or know my status....??

I had to apply for new US passports - for myself, my husband, and my two kids. The Indian consulate lost all our passports. And never ever could find it. Even though we have acknowledgement saying they received it. They have our OCI card and sticker. Now I am ready to apply for the OCI miscellaneous form. Is this the online application that was used.

Has somebody done the same. When I enter my information It says cannot be validated. just frustrated at this point.

Vatikaa, how do you know your passports were lost?? Were you able to talk to somebody in Houston. If yes, can you please give me the number or best way to contact them. For me its over 3 weeks now and nothing from them so I am getting worried.

Your app has moved very fast. Congratulations....
This is great!
my Acknowledgment date is june 6th
phont scanned - july 11th
and it's still under process
anybody in same time frame and still waiting
that may help me reduce the anxeity
Thanks.

I remember an old post somewhere on these forums where an Indian consulate 'lost' some applicants' US passports. The applicant called up the consulate and said that he was going to file a police complaint reg this matter. The consulate asked him not to, and he soon got a call saying that they found the 'lost' passports. The passports were then mailed back to him.

Documents received at Houston: 08/26/08
Drove to Houston and got passports stamped: 08/27/08

All done.. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Goimmigo

Congratulation!!

That was quick

My photo scanned July 11,2008

and after that seems like processing stopped. Any clues!!

Tried to contact Houston dozen times but no luck.

Sent emails but no reply.

Any body has similar experience.

Please share.

Thanks

If your application is still showing under process and if it is stuck up at photos/signature scanned then there could be a possibility that your signature/photo was not as per the requirements. This is just an assumption, if this is the case then according to them you should be receiving a request for another copy or something.

Congratulation!!

That was quick

My photo scanned July 11,2008

and after that seems like processing stopped. Any clues!!

Tried to contact Houston dozen times but no luck.

Sent emails but no reply.

Any body has similar experience.

Please share.

Thanks

Thanks Goimmigo.

Never thought of that,

But probably that is why they stopped processing.

Any Idea, How long they take to send a request for photogaphs?

Do they use regular mail or email.