OCI for child of parents holding OCI

mtillu

Registered Users (C)
Both me and my husband are prior Indian citizens and are now US citizens with OCIs...so our Indian passports are now canceled.

We have a newborn who is ofcourse a US citizen and we wish to get her OCI processed. I had a couple of questions which were unclear as far documents to be sent for her application. On the Indian consulate chicago's website, the following is listed as the required documents to prove our daughter's indian origin.

"If parents/grand parents origin is being claimed as basis for grant of OCI, enclose the following documents:

Ø Evidence of relationship with the applicant as parent/grand parent;

Ø Copy of their Indian passport, or

Ø Copy of their domicile certificate issue by the competent authority; or

Ø Any other documentary evidence like a notarized copy of school certificate, land ownership certificate by which eligibility may be reasonably ascertained."

1. Is it sufficient to provide copies of our canceled indian passports to prove our newborn's indian origin?
2. If answer to question 1 is NO, then is the following enuf to prove her indian origin:
- copy of daughter's birth certificate showing mom's maiden name
- copy of mom's birth certificate showing mom's first-name and grandma's first-name
- copy of grandma's indian passport

Has anyone processed their child's OCI application after getting their OCIs?

Any information will be helpful.
Thanks.
Mamata

Both me and my husband are prior Indian citizens and are now US citizens with OCIs...so our Indian passports are now canceled.

We have a newborn who is ofcourse a US citizen and we wish to get her OCI processed. I had a couple of questions which were unclear as far documents to be sent for her application. On the Indian consulate chicago's website, the following is listed as the required documents to prove our daughter's indian origin.

"If parents/grand parents origin is being claimed as basis for grant of OCI, enclose the following documents:

Ø Evidence of relationship with the applicant as parent/grand parent;

Ø Copy of their Indian passport, or

Ø Copy of their domicile certificate issue by the competent authority; or

Ø Any other documentary evidence like a notarized copy of school certificate, land ownership certificate by which eligibility may be reasonably ascertained."

1. Is it sufficient to provide copies of our canceled indian passports to prove our newborn's indian origin?
2. If answer to question 1 is NO, then is the following enuf to prove her indian origin:
- copy of daughter's birth certificate showing mom's maiden name
- copy of mom's birth certificate showing mom's first-name and grandma's first-name
- copy of grandma's indian passport

Has anyone processed their child's OCI application after getting their OCIs?

Any information will be helpful.
Thanks.
Mamata

All you need is child's birth certificate showing mother's name and copy of mother's Indian passport showing the same name. This establishes parentage as well as Indian ancestry. Of course, the child also has to have a US passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
All you need is child's birth certificate showing mother's name and copy of mother's Indian passport showing the same name. This established parentage as well as Indian ancestry. Of course, the child also has to have a US passport.

Thanks for the reply. I figured that I should be able to use our canceled Indian passports but just wanted to confirm.
Appreciate it.

Should we apply for OCI or PIO for child?

One of my friend was arguing with me that it makes no sense to apply for OCI for a US born child since this make create complications later on life when he or she has to apply for federal jobs. He said it makes perfect sense to apply for PIO for the child, since PIO details need not be disclosed on application form whereas OCI details have to be mentioned.

Please clarify if this true and if anyone else has any further information on this.

Thanks,