OCI - Chicago Tracker

Questions on OCI application

I have been using this forum during acquisition of US citizenship and also now while applying for the OCI. This is my first time posting a question since I could not find the following questions anywhere in this forum. Hopefully someone can answer these.

I am ready to send the OCI application for my family (2 adults + 3-year old minor).
1. Does self-attestation mean that each adult applicant should sign and date the xerox copy of his/her (US and Indian) passport pages?
2. What about self-attestation of the minor applicant's copies of US passport pages?
3. For the self-addressed stamped (No. 10) envelope, how much should the postage be? Is it first-class postage rate?
4. We plan to produce the passport(s) and PIO card in person for affixing the OCI Visa sticker and registration certificate for our family, do we still need to send in the mailing fees (which will be $17 for our family)?
5. To pick up the OCI Visa stickers and registration certificates for our family, does each applicant have to be present at the consulate to produce the passport(s) OR can one adult bring in the passports of all the applicants in the family?
6. Can we cancel the Indian passports at the time when we are the consulate to pick up the OCI visa stickers and registration certificates for our family?

Appreciate ur help and time.
Thanks.
Mamata

I have been using this forum during acquisition of US citizenship and also now while applying for the OCI. This is my first time posting a question since I could not find the following questions anywhere in this forum. Hopefully someone can answer these.

I am ready to send the OCI application for my family (2 adults + 3-year old minor).
1. Does self-attestation mean that each adult applicant should sign and date the xerox copy of his/her (US and Indian) passport pages?
2. What about self-attestation of the minor applicant's copies of US passport pages?
3. For the self-addressed stamped (No. 10) envelope, how much should the postage be? Is it first-class postage rate?
4. We plan to produce the passport(s) and PIO card in person for affixing the OCI Visa sticker and registration certificate for our family, do we still need to send in the mailing fees (which will be $17 for our family)?
5. To pick up the OCI Visa stickers and registration certificates for our family, does each applicant have to be present at the consulate to produce the passport(s) OR can one adult bring in the passports of all the applicants in the family?
6. Can we cancel the Indian passports at the time when we are the consulate to pick up the OCI visa stickers and registration certificates for our family?

Appreciate ur help and time.
Thanks.
Mamata

Mamata,

I am not entirely sure whether my answers are correct or not but his what I would do.

1. Just write "This is a true copy of original" on each copy of application and sign and date it.

2. Main applicant (one of the parent) should attest the application on behalf of minor.

3. Yes. Put first class stamp.

4. I am not sure. I will put it in just to avoid any confusion. But thats just my personal opinion.

5. No, one applicant can collect them on everyone's behalf. In my case, my wife was the one who went to collect the booklet and sticker. Just have your US passport, PIO card and acknowledgment slip with you. In case if you are canceling Indian passport then carry them with you.

6. Yes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks DMAX

Definitely helps a lot. Thank you.

Mamata,

I am not entirely sure whether my answers are correct or not but his what I would do.

1. Just write "This is a true copy of original" on each copy of application and sign and date it.

2. Main applicant (one of the parent) should attest the application on behalf of minor.

4. I am not sure. I will put it in just to avoid any confusion. But thats just my personal opinion.

5. No, one applicant can collect them on everyone's behalf. In my case, my wife was the one who went to collect the booklet and sticker. Just have your US passport, PIO card and acknowledgment slip with you. In case if you are canceling Indian passport then carry them with you.

6. Yes.

Hope this helps.

Mamata,

Hope this helps.

Oh boy - just realized one thing - when I applied in Apr beginning, I put a regular 39c stamp on that envelope. Now its 41c. So that means, if and when they do get around to acknowledging my application, they will not mail it out ?? Just because the envelope is 2c short on postage ??

Oh boy - just realized one thing - when I applied in Apr beginning, I put a regular 39c stamp on that envelope. Now its 41c. So that means, if and when they do get around to acknowledging my application, they will not mail it out ?? Just because the envelope is 2c short on postage ??

I sent my application too with 39c stamp envelope but they mailed my acknowledgment slip along with canceled Indian passport in USPS for which I sent $17 separately.

Collected OCI and U visa sticker from Consulate

Today (06/08) went to consulate just before 4 PM , a lady collected Ack and US passport around 4:30 and returned OCI documents with U visa about 4:55 PM.

I sent my application too with 39c stamp envelope but they mailed my acknowledgment slip along with canceled Indian passport in USPS for which I sent $17 separately.

Ok, but I already had my Indian passport cancelled before applying for OCI, as I went to the Consulate to see if they would accept the OCI application in person (which they dont anyway). So - that is already taken care of, and all I should expect is my acknowledgement. Hope they see sense and put an extra 2c stamp on the envelope for all applications received before the postage rates went up!! After all - this delay is due to their slow processing times.

I sent an additional $15 as well - which was meant for them to send the final stamped passport + OCI booklet - although my intention is to try an collect it in person.

Today (06/08) went to consulate just before 4 PM , a lady collected Ack and US passport around 4:30 and returned OCI documents with U visa about 4:55 PM.

That's great. But did your status ever change on the website?? Did it say that the documents were received in Chicago??

Nope, As per online status my documents still in-transit (by snail-mail).
Regarding your other post about 39cent stamp, I included self-addressed envelope with 39cent stamp and they mailed it. as per www.indianembassy.org they only asking aditional $5 to sent for express mail to receive documents, But doesn't mention anything about the 2cent stamp on envelop.

That's great. But did your status ever change on the website?? Did it say that the documents were received in Chicago??

Status of OCI card

Hi
I have been following this thread and would like to find some info.
We (my family self,spouse and 2 kids) applied for our oci on Mar16th online and chicago recd it on Mar 20th.

No acknowlegement recd yet.

is there some way of knowing how long it will take to get the ack?

would they send us a mailed ack recpt or should we just check the online status enquiry?

Pls advise.

Thanx

My Status info
Consulate - Chicago
03/06/2007 - Part A Online
03/07/2007 - Sent OCI app
03/09/2007 - OCI app reaches Chicago
?? - Acknowledged

It is been more than three months with no acknowledgement, probably some one is on extended vacation

Done

:)

Finally got my US Passport with Visa sticker and booklet in mail. I am glad its over. Overall process took little over 3 months.

Good luck to Chicago Consulate applicants.

Lucky you

You are Lucky DMAX

My app reached Chicago consulate 3 days later than yours, on 03/09 and even after 3 months, I am still waiting for acknowledgement. I have sent mail, left VM for Mr. Badwal, but no reply back ....

In person

You are Lucky DMAX

My app reached Chicago consulate 3 days later than yours, on 03/09 and even after 3 months, I am still waiting for acknowledgement. I have sent mail, left VM for Mr. Badwal, but no reply back ....

Assuming that your application is mailed from India in that case I suggest you go in person between 4 and 5 Pm on any weekday. They haven't been up to task on their communication lately.

You are Lucky DMAX

You are not alone sir!!, My status is exactly same as yours, no email/VM replies or status updates. See my timeline.

well...looks like all the march applicants are in the same boat...I will update as soon as I hear something.i sent an email to Mr.Badwal and no reply...guess its a major delay there. ....well I think nowadays even in india processes are much speeded up...
I heard the San Francisco proccessing is much faster.

It willl be nice if someone from the embassy can see this forum and post messages..
we just need updates.
I will try my luck calling the embassy and update .
Hopefully soemone wakes up to all our cases.

Seems like no where to go

Sent couple of mails and voice message including to consulate general of india, Chicago. Seems like, no one cares. :mad:

I too sent emails and left messages...no reply...Probably th eembassy responds only to persons who go there and is not connected to the rest of the world thro telecom...Vwery frustrating to be at their mercy.

I too sent emails and left messages...no reply...Probably th eembassy responds only to persons who go there and is not connected to the rest of the world thro telecom...Vwery frustrating to be at their mercy.

Any update from anyone?. Chicago seems to be totally screwed up on OCI's. I dont understand why Chicago is lagging behind this bad while New York and Houston apps. are being done in 30 days:mad:

When does the check get cashed?

I sent my application in April 07. The cashiers check has still not been cashed.
When does the consulate cash the check?
I called the consulate, and they asked me not to cancel the check!!

Last edited by a moderator: