• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Obama announcing changes on immigration administration tomorrow night...

I saw the news all over in NYT , WSJ , UST and on major news broadcasters from the US or EU.
While I think that this action will not affect DV on the short terms, executive action may draw some new lines on immigration policies and offer coverage against deportation to millions of illegal aliens in the US.
If this package will not affect DV, I am pretty sure that the lottery will remain safe until after 2016 elections or beyond.

I saw the news all over in NYT , WSJ , UST and on major news broadcasters from the US or EU.
While I think that this action will not affect DV on the short terms, executive action may draw some new lines on immigration policies and offer coverage against deportation to millions of illegal aliens in the US.
If this package will not affect DV, I am pretty sure that the lottery will remain safe until after 2016 elections or beyond.

Yes agreed. This is not about changes to immigration laws - it can only be POTUS explaining changes to how they operate within the existing laws - so based on that DV cannot be affected for now.

From what I understand, he's made it clear that he will exercise his executive power in order to sort out immigration policies. I think the big worry for a lot of us is whether he will use executive power to pass through the latest Immigration Bill in which the DV lottery will be canceled. Looks like we'll find out soon enough.

From what I understand, he's made it clear that he will exercise his executive power in order to sort out immigration policies. I think the big worry for a lot of us is whether he will use executive power to pass through the latest Immigration Bill in which the DV lottery will be canceled. Looks like we'll find out soon enough.

He does not have the power to pass a bill into law. What he can do is change the way the existing laws are implemented.

Didn't know that a president couldn't pass a bill into law via executive power. Thanks for clarifying that.