Oath

ikazmi

Registered Users (C)
I received my interview letter for citizenship yesterday and my interview is due in March end.
My letter does not say anything about the oath ceremony.

Is it true that if my letter does not state anything about the oath then there is no chance of my oath taking place the same day?

Please advise.

If the letter does not state that the oath ceremony takes place on the same day of the interview, it probably won't. Usually, the ceremony takes place a month or two after the interview, provided that you passed the interview. Some locations offer same-day ceremonies; this was not offered in San Francisco, for example.

If you pass the interview, you should receive an appointment letter for the oath ceremony, perhaps a few weeks later. You should ask the interviewer for more details.

At the interview date you'll be evaluated and you've got the burden to prove that you qualify for naturalization, it is not a quick-one-stop for naturalization as far as I understand.

I don't think that old practice of conducting interviews and oaths in one session is going to survive these days. There are too many flaws and since INS has lost the right to revoke naturalizations (only a federal court may do that now), I highly doubt that anybody will be sworn in anymore on the same day they go for an interview. This practice gives the INS a few more weeks to double check and proof their favorable decisions.

Good luck!