oath letter-- traffic ticket

oath_in_wash_dc

Registered Users (C)
I got letter for my oath letter for Jan 22nd. I got a traffic ticket after my interview and the court date is Jan 15th. I have the option to pay the fine but I was planning to contest it. I am going to be out of town from 10-17th of jan so I was planning to reschedule the court date. Do you think getting a ticket (72 on 55) can be a problem? Should I try to reschedule my court date or just pay the fine?
Please advice.

Since you got the ticket after your interview, you are not obligated to mention it to the INS anymore (unless they ask you again!!!)..

Go ahead, Reschedule your court appearance for the ticket, this
has nothing to do with your oath;)

Actually in the oath letter there is a set of questions which you are supposed to complete at the dayof oath and one of the questions is " have you ever knowingly .....cited, indicted...... including traffic violations?..."
So I have to mention it at the time of the oath. The only thing is I am wondering what will be the right choice
-- pay the fine
-- reschedule the date
-- go to the court on 15th ( this will be really tough as I am going to be out of town)

Regards

Can you call the judge and ask that the appearance be
*before* the 15th?

If that's not possible, what I would do is fight it anyway ,
and truthfully mention it on my oath........ I doubt
if a simple speeding ticket at any point of time will have
an impact on your Cz ,especially that you have already
passed ur interview

Originally posted by JoeF

As for contesting it, that's a gamble. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If the officer shows up at the court date, the courts tend to believe him. If he doesn't show up, such cases often get dismissed. I personally think it isn't worth the time fighting such a small thing, and rather pay the fine.

I got 2 tickets in my lifetime(simple speeding). Fought both of them . On one, the judge gave me a reduced penalty(failure to yield to traffic device) and on the other the judge dismissed it.

You stand some chance of getting some leniency if you contest
and appear. Atleast your insurance rates wont rise. You dont have anything to lose by contesting

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it.
At the moment I am not worried about fine or insurance rates. I am worried if I get the court date postponed, can the INS people ask me to wait till the court date?
Although for me going to court on 15th is not easy but I am still thinking about flying back and go to court.
Thanks

How about you postpone it to after your oath ceremony etc.
That way the ticket issue will still not be resolved at time of your oath, so technically it has not been resolved yet....so maybe you don't need to tell anything about it at oath....

I think postoponing is not going to help. I still have to mention it. I am planning to pay the fine and just take the docs to the ceremoney.
Thanks