Oath ceremony naturalization certificate and name change

laddoorao

Registered Users (C)
During my interview I requested for my last name change according to our marriage. Accordingly I got my Oath ceremony organized at the US District Court. So at the Oath ceremony will I get my Naturalization Certificate with my new last name or it will still have my old last name. This is needed to change my last name also at the Soc security and passport. Please advice

It will have your new name. That's the whole point of requesting a name change at interview; so that your naturalization certificate can have new name on it.

Thanks. I had the same question. But when the oath letter N-445 comes, it will have your "old" name and doesn't have anything about the name change. So when you go the ceremony, they have your new name and you don't have to do anything else?

I believe that's what I've seen other people posting, that the oath letter comes with old name. Make sure that when you get your certificate at the ceremony you look at it carefully many times to make sure all the information is correct, and if it is not then tell them right away.

Yep, that right, I got the oath letter in mail today in my old name. At the end of oath ceremony, can I apply for US pp there itself? do I need to take photos fow any purpose?

tankQ

DO Baltimore
PD Jan 27th
FP Feb 19th
YL Mar 12th
IL Apr 14th
ID Jun 3rd
OD Jun 26th

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your new name only becomes official at oath, the oath letter will have old name and the naturalization certificate will have new name.

Yep, that right, I got the oath letter in mail today in my old name. At the end of oath ceremony, can I apply for US pp there itself? do I need to take photos fow any purpose?

tankQ

DO Baltimore
PD Jan 27th
FP Feb 19th
YL Mar 12th
IL Apr 14th
ID Jun 3rd
OD Jun 26th

Please check the Baltimore thread if there is one. Some ceremonies support passport applications, but others don't. Even in places where you can apply for passport at the ceremony people still choose to do it at a post office. There is no obligation of getting a passport at the ceremony or not. You don't need to take photos to the ceremony unless you know you can apply for a passport there and you want to apply for a passport, which I guess you probably want.