Oath Ceremony Experience in Brooklyn, NY

frannod

Registered Users (C)
My appointment was for 8:30AM, got in the court around 8:15AM, went through security, check my cell phones (you are not allowed to take cell phones or camera) went upstairs to the court room. Was seated by the security guard, in a nice room, was impressed with all the prior judges on the wall. My husband was not allowed in the room, he was told to go upstairs to the cafeteria, and when they are ready they will call him.

By 9AM, the room was almost packed, (there were 256 persons getting naturalised) the court officer introduced herself, (she's from Garden City USCIS office) and told us to look at our appointment letter to make sure it has the correct date on it. We all did, she then said, you will be here for about 4.5 hours (I was like oh boy!!!-i had no idea). She said she will call us row by row to hand in our permanent resident cards, and any travel documents issued by USCIS/INS. So the slow process started, another lady went to the microphone, introduced herself, telling us she will be helping us to complete the process of registering to vote. I was like, cool!! 2 birds with one stone. When my row was called, went up and hand in my appt. letter, it was checked and signed and handed back to me, then they take my green card, and never gave it back. i then checked my naturalization certificate, for any errors, and write my full name as is on the cert. After that, i went in search of the hubby who was having a grand time watching the proceedings from the cafeteria.

At 11:30AM, we all went back in the court room, and they said they are waiting on the judge. During this time, another lady from NYC Dept. of human rights (i think) took the microphone. She explained what her organization does, etc. Advised us that if we feel we are being discrimiated against to contact them - of course we got a pamplet. Now we were all wondering where the heck is the judge, as i was dying to leave. The security lady got all the visitors cramped in the room, whilst we all waited on your highness.

She came in at 12:15PM, and of course we were all happy to see her. Nice looking pleasant lady, with a great sense of humour. She led us through taking the oath and also the pledge of allegiance. She explained that she was naturalized in the same court house 7 years ago (impressive, she's a federal judge) and gave us a little history. She explained that we should always embrace our culture and ethnicity, don't drop it, and teach it to our children.. I was really impressed by what she said. She said that we have the same rights as those born in this country and not to let anyone tell us otherwise. I got teary-eyed. She spoke some more, then left - She took around 20 mins.

Then the part we all waited for, our names were called, we exchanged our appt. letters for our brand new certificate. I left at 12:45PM and went to the post office to apply for my passport as I planned on travelling in a month's time (and i don't wish to pay the expedited fee).. Went home, no certificate to show anyone... it was left at the post office.. :) The celebration continues over the weekend....:p

So that was my journey, a brand new day old citizen!!!!!

Congratulations!! 4 hour oath ordeal to naturalize 256 citizens while the San Jose and Miami DO can naturalized over 3000 citizens in under 3 hours??? Talk about USCIS inefficiency.

Congrats frannod! But.....4.5 hours????? Are you freakin' kidding me? There goes another vacation day! :D

Thanks to all of you. My journey has ended, but i will be here to watch others, and give my little experience.

Vorpal: Be prepared - yes, 4.5hrs. I thought i would have been in an out in under 2 hrs. Never left the court house until 12:45PM, everyone's appt. was for 8:30AM. So take a vacation day, I'm happy in the end that i did just that...

Thanks to all of you. My journey has ended, but i will be here to watch others, and give my little experience.

Vorpal: Be prepared - yes, 4.5hrs. I thought i would have been in an out in under 2 hrs. Never left the court house until 12:45PM, everyone's appt. was for 8:30AM. So take a vacation day, I'm happy in the end that i did just that...

As ridiculous as it is, I'd be perfectly willing to spend twice that time sitting in the courtroom, knowing full well that the USCIS will be out of my life forever.

Again, a hearty congratulations to you! Don't forget to vote!:)

As ridiculous as it is, I'd be perfectly willing to spend twice that time sitting in the courtroom, knowing full well that the USCIS will be out of my life forever.

Again, a hearty congratulations to you! Don't forget to vote!:)

Thanks again Vorpal..Still not sure if I'll be voting, but i did registered as an independent...:D

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I have my oath ceremony tomorrow and the letter says to bring "any reentry permits" and "any other immigration documents" you may have in your possession.

Aside from the current Green Card, do I need to also bring the expired Green Card. I have no idea what "reentry permits" or "other immigration documents" they are looking for. I got my Green card through marriage.

Thanks!

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I have my oath ceremony tomorrow and the letter says to bring "any reentry permits" and "any other immigration documents" you may have in your possession.

Aside from the current Green Card, do I need to also bring the expired Green Card. I have no idea what "reentry permits" or "other immigration documents" they are looking for. I got my Green card through marriage.

Thanks!

What the oath letter means by that is to surrender any immigration document previously used (ie:for travel). Since you only have green card, that is all you need to bring. If you traveled outside the country between interview and oath, then bring passport to oath.

A reentry permit is used by those who are out the country for extended periods and wish to preserve their LPR status.

What the oath letter means by that is to surrender any immigration document previously used (ie:for travel). Since you only have green card, that is all you need to bring. If you traveled outside the country between interview and oath, then bring passport to oath.

A reentry permit is used by those who are out the country for extended periods and wish to preserve their LPR status.

Thanks Bob, I haven't been out of the country since my naturalization interview (its only been 2 weeks) but I don't need to surrender my passport do I?

Thanks Bob, I haven't been out of the country since my naturalization interview (its only been 2 weeks) but I don't need to surrender my passport do I?

No, no. That's just if you traveled, then you would need to show them your passport.