NY DOL news

Re: from maxie..this is from another thread...

zamq,

That is really bad to wait 12 months to start a new LC.

I have never heard that DOL forbad to re-run application for the specific period. It seems if the application is rejected, your company can start a new advertisement immediately.

Did your company have significant layoffs recently?

nikolas..this is not my situation..someone in NY thread has posted this ...i just forwarded it
our company also layoffed so many people in last year
mine was RIR/EB2...i dont know when i'll get my labor cleared filed in Aug 2001 from NY city....just hoping to get ASAP from labor

BACKLOG CLEANING WILL TAKE YEARS!

Using the information on

http://wdsc.doleta.gov/sga/rfp/rfp03-43_amend3.asp

it is possible now to estimate the RIR backlog cleaning time.

Two new processing centers will be able to process 2x45,000 = 90,000 applications during a year. The total current backlog in the country is around 300,000.

More than two years are needed to clean up the whole backlog!

It is clear why NY DOL keeps silence about official estimation of the backlog cleaning. They can not clear it themselves because the backlog is long for as far as the eye can see.

Well guys, time is to prepare go home... I am full enough by foreign labor certification.

Re: BACKLOG CLEANING WILL TAKE YEARS!

Do not give up!

Prepared by Fran Berger, DOL Liaison Chair
October 28, 2003

1. As many of you may be aware, liaison since the annual conference in June of this year has focused on RIR processing issues originating in Region VI with potential impact throughout the Regions. In this regard, we are awaiting the issuance of guidance to the field from DOL HQ, which is expected by mid-November 2003. It is anticipated that the guidance will give some standards for how the longer pending RIR applications will be processed and how we should approach new RIR filings.

We are advised the PERM regulation may still be published by year end with implementation scheduled within 120 days thereafter, possibly in March, April or May 2004. DOL HQ plans to schedule approximately four (4) training sessions around the country, prior to the implementation date. During the same period, DOL will be Beta testing PERM software.

DOL HQ is moving forward with the creation of two backlog reduction centers, which will be located in Dallas and Philadelphia. Gaithersburg, the pilot backlog reduction center, will close at the end of this calendar year. Once the selection of the contractor is in place (likely to be finalized by the end of this calendar year), it is expected that the centers will be up and running quickly as DOL has the necessary software and training materials from the pilot program. Of course, the backlog reduction effort is contingent upon the availability of funds in the FY 04 budget.

http://www.elirich.com/oct29b.htm

The bed news is NY DOL is going to stay on April 30 at least half a year. Who knows does it include help from two new processing centers in the new year?

Originally posted by zamq
please read the info from this link

http://www.murthy.com/UDnurirg.html

zamq,

The DOL RIR Guidelines are directed to REGIONAL DOL certifying officers. Keep in mind, that Regional DOL offices DO NOT HAVE BACKLOG.

The Guidelines will not help DOL state level.

Another question is: can NY DOL clear April 30 by end of .... the next year? Sorry, I am not positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you say nexy is not positive then its tough man...
why i dont know its taking so much time to get rid of the april 2001 stuff...

i thought of providing that link will get some more info what's going on in the DOL...

dont worry nikolas..we'll get thru ..dont know the time....

Guys,

The "Good news....NY has started processing May 2001" thread is finally renamed!

We have been waiting for half a year for so called "good news" and got nothing.

The good news is NY DOL should clear Apr30 in the next year (probably by summer 2004). The bad news is waiting two or more years for the entire backlog clearance.

Also the new PERM regulations will not be published this year as promised. They say it may be published at the beginning of the next year or later... I would say "never".

I just checked State processing times.
Of course NY got stuck on April 2001 as usual.

I was surprised by New Jersey.
It seems New Jersey RIR rolled back to April 2001.

Who can explain such strange variation?

My PD is May 2002. According to my lawyer I may wait until April-May 2005 (!) for a result from NY DOL.

His guess is based on the following: NY RIR backlog is expected to be cleared by May 2004.
Then NY DOL will clear cases month by month. The real speed may be even faster for several first months after April 2001.

According PERM implementation in the first half of the next year: he is not positive. My lowyer works for state goverment and knows their real capabilities.

my attorneys told me that dont think about NY DOL labor ..
just wait for 1 year from now...

as per my attoneys my case was filed in sometime aug 2001...
we have to wait and see oberton...

Guys,

There is a draft of "Centralized Processing of Permanent Labor Certification Program Backlog" training manual, prepared for U.S. Department of Labor Administration:
http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/immigdaily/dol_news/2003,1219-SIMTraining.pdf

"This draft training manual describes in detail the preparation for full-scale implementation and the viability of contracting out and centralizing the processing of the backlogged Foreign Labor Certification cases at a single location. This in connection with the proposed backlog reduction measures at DOL for which $100 million plus of government funding is to be appropriated in 2004 and 2005." ( http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/immigdaily/#Editors-Comments )

Also this document has interesting information about time processing of each labor certification application.
For example, application data entry takes 3.5 min,
completness check 2.6 min,
prevalage wage check 4.4 min, etc.

It seems they are going to clear the backlog in two years starting from 2004.

It is better than never.

They say labor certs will have major developments in 2004. I expect first positive news on Summer 2004.
http://www.ilw.com/immigrants/weekly/digest/2003,1222.shtm

Labor Certification Overhaul

The Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (DOL/ETA) recently solicited proposals to select a contractor to provide operations support to ETA's Division of Foreign Labor Certification in order to eliminate the current backlog. The Request for Proposal sheds insight into the changes that lay ahead in the Division of Foreign Labor Certification, including:

The type of support anticipated are two fully staffed facilities or application processing centers on a national scale. The ultimate size of the centers will be contingent upon the amount of resources included in the Department’s FY ’04 budget approved by Congress.

The current size of the national backlog approximates 300,000 applications. Because of this large backlog, the Permanent Labor Certification program has been identified in the President's "Blueprint for a New Beginning” as a program seriously in need of improvement. To address this concern, a major restructuring of the certification process will be implemented with the introduction of the Program Electronic Review Management System (PERM) during the first part of calendar year 2004. However, the backlog of applications filed under current regulations must still be processed under the old rules and within the existing system.
The pork-laden appropriations bills which Congress failed to pass this year include even more funding for the labor certification backlog reduction than the President's original request. Thus, it is very likely that very early next year, DOL will finally get a sufficient sum of money ($100 million plus) to eliminate the massive backlog. However, there are many points here that attorneys may want to note. The new process contemplated by DOL envisages what amounts to a "service center" concept, the first time that such a concept will be applied to a labor cert program. In states like California and New York, attorneys will have to re-evaluate their labor cert strategies since "regular labor certification" may no longer have a horrendous backlog in 2005. There may be another lesson to be drawn here - it pays to seek a benefit. Faced with unprecedented filings as result of 245(i), Congress ultimately, if belatedly, is about to appropriate the money necessary to process the deluge of applications.

We are sure to see major developments in labor certs in 2004.

Originally posted by assur
Any new year good news?

Good news is NY DOL probably clears April 30 backlog this year. It may take a year. Wait for December 2004 when they may turn to May 1st 2001.

As for me I do not trust NY DOL. They always lie with expected processing time. The worst estimation of the backlog clearing is the end of the next (2005) year.

Sorry guys, nothing to add more positives.