Not sure where to start with Political Asylum

JJBBKK

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

a friend of mine (from Central Asia) is looking to apply for political asylum here based on her sexual orientation. I want to help with finding relevant information for her that would help her prove her case. Has anyone dealt with something similar to this and where was the information found? please let me know and thank you for taking time to respond.

That is not one of the grounds you can use, at best it is a very weak case.. You will need very solid evidence!!!

fear of persecution, harm or torture should they be removed from the United States based on their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, fear of torture or membership in a particular social group.

Hi all,

a friend of mine (from Central Asia) is looking to apply for political asylum here based on her sexual orientation. I want to help with finding relevant information for her that would help her prove her case. Has anyone dealt with something similar to this and where was the information found? please let me know and thank you for taking time to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong.

That is not one of the grounds you can use, at best it is a very weak case.. You will need very solid evidence!!!

fear of persecution, harm or torture should they be removed from the United States based on their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, fear of torture or membership in a particular social group.

That's inaccurate.

Sexual orientation does indeed qualify in the basis of membership in a particular social group.

I'd recommend you start looking at organizations like Immigration Equality and the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission to gather resources and evidence for the application.

Best of luck to her!

gay Asylum

The info. given about sexual orientation not being grounds is absolutely incorrect.Immigration Equality is a good place to start but they are in NYC. I am not sure where you are. In any case you can still call and ask them to help you with an organization in your area if you are not in NYC.

Yes, Im also pretty positive that this statement by dafortycal is absolutely INCORRECT:mad:, given that I know people that have obtained their status via that route.

ykk2k and GayGuy - thank you for the input, I will be sure to pass this along.

I obtained Political Asylum through sexual orientation back in 1998. The way my attorney documented my case was with declaration from friends that witness threat to my life, due to sexual orientation, back in my country. I also contacted a Gay organization in my country that documets violent acts against Gay people by the authorities and society in general. They sent me copies of documents and newspaper articles. The hardest part is the interview because your friend will have to relieve all the abuse she went through, open old wounds and be questioned about it. In my interview the IO was very nice didin't push me and let me tell my story at my own pace. I hope this will help you....

Hello everyone,

I got a couple of questions for whoever can guide me in the right direction.
Every year when I file for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA), I run into problems because I never registered with Selective Service. I came into this country when I was 13 years old as a tourist and for fear of our lives, my family applied for asylum, which was granted when I was about 22 years old. So between 13 and 22 yrs. old, I was under no legal status, which is basically an illegal “alien”. I continued being under asylum and became a Legal Resident when I was 29 years old. I NEVER received anything from the Government stating I needed to register. Matter of fact, I just never ever imagined that it was required for one to register. All I ever heard my entire life was that men weren't required to serve in the military here in the U.S. Registering therefore never crossed my mind since I knew men weren't required to serve. I bluntly did not know. Well, problem is that my ignorance is now catching up to me. Every time I file FAFSA I have problems and have to write a letter to Selective Service, and than it gets taken care of for that year, until I have to file again, and redo everything over. But I recently found out that because I never registered, I may be ineligible for Financial Aid, Citizenship and Federal Employment. How can I remediate this problem?