Not so smooth CP at Mumbai on May 24th

bluegrass

Registered Users (C)
My case was AC-140. Original interview date was May 22nd. We reached consulate at 9.30 am as indicated in appointment letter. Our name was called at about 10.45 and an Indian guy took all our documents:
DS 230 part I and II
Copies of marriage and birth certificate
Employment letters for both of us
Medical reports
PCC from Indian consulate in NY
Passports

He asked for Local PCC - but we said that we haven\'t lived in India for the past 8 years so he said ok. We didn\'t think much of it.

We were called at 1.00pm - this time there was an american lady at the booth. She made us take the oath and sign DS230 part II. We thought everything was going smoothly. Then she said that she could not issue visa because we didn\'t have local PCC. We tried to explain our situation and that we had not lived in India for past 8 years but she wasn\'t ready to listen. She mentioned that they had just changed the rules. She returned our passports and told us to come back within a year with Local PCc and the visa would be issued right away.

The next 24 hours was a nightmare. We are not from Mumbai and had to travel to A\'bad to get our Local PCC. Because of riots in A\'bad all the police people had been transferred and it was a pain to get PCC in one day. But somehow we got it and flew back to Mumbai and appeared at the consulate on Friday May 24th.
Since I was the primary sponsor I was the only one allowed in and my spouse had to wait outside. They called me at 7.45 am but didn\'t call me up to the window until 1.30pm. I don\'t know why they do that. Anyway, so finally all got done that day and we collected our passports at around 4.00pm. Once again they tell you to come at 3.00pm but don\'t open the window until 4.00. When I asked the guard why they call people at 3.00pm - he was extremely rude and said " If we say 3.00 then people will show up at 4.00 - if we say 4.00 then you guys won\'t show up till 5.00". I felt like giving him a piece of my mind - but stayed calm.

POE was very simple. We arrived in Boston on May 27th. Fingerprinting took less than 15 mins.

Am glad to answer any questions.

No Title

Hi, congrats on your successful GC.

One question: Do we have tp produce the PCC\'s from all over the places we lived since the age of 16 ?

Am not quite sure

Good question. Luckily I didn\'t have that complication but if that is what the instructions say on P4 then my guess would be that YES you do require PCC from all places you have lived after the age of 16.

bluegrass, Did you write America address or India address in P3?

For the section \'current address\'. I believe consulate use that to send your P4. My case is also AC140, I gave america address but they did not send P4 directly to me. They sent to Attorney only. I am just thinking whether the address does have any affect on the local PCC discretion.

No Title

I had put my US address as my current address. However I never received P4 nor did my lawyer. So I had emailed them to send P4 at local address.

What exactly is a local PCC? certf issued by local police or regional passport office??

Bluegrass-

Congratulations! Glad to read that you managed to get everything done. Can very well imagine what a harrowing time it would have been to be told to obtain a local PCC at the last minute. Great work!

One question: By local PCC, do you refer the certificate obtained from your local police station or something you obtained from your Regional Passport office? Could you also throw some light on its content?

(I have an interview in Chennai in June and have more or less the same background as yours - based in Boston for the last six years, obtained the \'PCC\' from the Indian consulate at NY, flying back to Boston).

Thanks to you, many of us residing in the US are now scrambling to be prepared for the local PCC! It would be really helpful to have your clarification on the above. Thanks.

No Title

Regarding Local PCC. Am not sure what the normal procedure is.Since we had to obtain this at the last minute we had to pull some strings and went directly to the Police commissioner\'s office and got it done. I would imagine that the normal procedure would take longer and you would have to go to your local police station and fill out a form requesting PCC. They will collect 2 photographs, copies of passport and proof of residency. Beyond that am not sure what they do.Also each place has their own rules. You should have your parents or some relative go and check out the procedure at your local police station in India.Hope that helps.

Bluegrass need some help!!!

Can u explain me the exact procedure by which you got your local PCC?
Did u visit your local police station or did u have to go to the police headquaters of your city.What did u have to ask them? Did they understand your requirement for a PCC? Please explain the entire procedure.Can my parents go and get it on my behalf? your info would be of great help...

No Title

Like I said in my previous posting - I did not follow normal procedures since I needed it in a hurry. They definately understand the need for PCC and do have a format. Lot of people get it for VISA purposes so they are definitely aware. However your parents might not be able to get it on your behalf. Again am not sure of this - but you can try. We had to go in person. They will require original passport and proof of residency. If you have some contacts in the police you might be able to get away - otherwise you will have to be there. Even though we had some contacts - we had to go in person. But again we needed it in a day so we didn\'t want to risk not going.

Question for bluegrass

Did they cancell your H1 visa? Like if you are told to bring PCC within a year, can we return to US? Or do they cancell the h1-visa. Appreciate your help

im9999 heres what I did for Local PCC

Mine was not called as PCC,but is called as Character verification letter.

I went to the Deputy commissioners office , There is a separate section called Special Branch which deals with clearance certificates for foreign consulates.
I had taken two photographs, a demand draft for 100 RUPEES addressed to Deputy Commissioner of Police,a prinout of American consulate posting requiring local PCC from web.

They then gave me a sealed letter which I took personally to the local police station in my place.
The local police station again issued a sealed letter which I took back to Deputy Commissioners office.

Then the office issued me the certificate.It was in a pre typed format.
It just says that there are no adverse information about me.

shanks

Local PCC on simple paper

Hi,

I have my GC interview at Mumbai Consulate in June and have managed to get a local PCC from my place in Maharashtra. But it is just a plain sheet of paper (actually computer printout) that we prepared by ourselves and the police station has just put a seal and signature on it. Will that do? When I asked them to issue the PCC on their letterhead, they said that they don\'t have any letterheads for any police station in Solapur. They were going to give it in written format; I just managed to have a computer printout instead of that.

So, can you help on this? Thanks again.

-- Bhaskar...

Abt ACI-140

Hi Bluegrass,
First of all CONGRATS!
I have a question abt ACI-140 process----
Do u or ur lawyer send the package for ACI-140 approval after getting the I-140 approval or just after filing for I-140. Second did u mention in ur I-140 that u\'ll opt for CP? Please answer the questions & the process in detail.....that\'ll be v. helpful.
Thanks.

No Title

In my case I wasn\'t even aware of CP when I filed I-140 so I did not mention it in that form. Once the I-140 approval came I filed I-184 form which you will have to file if you haven\'t mentioned CP in I-140. Once you get I-184 receipt ( note: you do not have to wait for approval only receipt is okay if you are filing AC-140 at Mumbai consulate. not sure about Chennai and delhi) your lawyer can file AC-I140 for you. From that point on you wait for the consulate to get back to you with interview date. Should take approximately 2 months once P3 reaches consulate.
hope that helps.

Thanks Bluegrass

for such a prompt reply. But if u mention in ur I-140 abt CP, ca u still go for ACI-140 after that?
Thanks.

No Title

In that case you have to wait for NVC to send your papers to the consulate. Right now AC-I140 is moving faster.
So just send in your I-184 form and then apply as AC-140 in my opinion.

I\'m going to file for my I -140 and

my lawyer says to fill the CP option in that. I told him abt this ACI-140 process but he says that u need to have I-140 approval with this process. I\'m not sure why is he insisting on mentioning CP process in I-140 if u can\'t apply for ACI-140 after doing that.
Thanks.