Not registered with selective service; more than 31 years of age

frankfrank20

All

I received my green card when I was 23. I was not aware of the selective service requirement until recently when I decided to apply for citizenship. I requested and received "status letter" from selective service and applied N400 a few months ago (at which time I was 31 years and 6 months old). The status letter basically states that I was required to register but I did not(which is true - although my failure to do so was not knowing and willful.)

I have been reading the forum and I am aware that because I am older than 31 years old, my failure to register with selective service should not be the only basis for citizenship denial (because technically, I can show a good moral character for the past 5 years).

What I am looking for are first hand experiences from others who are/were in similar situation that have gone through the interview process. (I am not looking for "it should be okay", "you should've known about this", or "it's your responsibility", etc). I am looking for first hand experiences.

1) Could someone in similar situation share his experience? Did the interview go well/bad? What was your response to the failure to register?
2) Other than the status letter from selective service, what other documents did you bring to the interview to help your case?

Thanks

Frank

frankfrank20 said:
All

I have been reading the forum and I am aware that because I am older than 31 years old, my failure to register with selective service should not be the only basis for citizenship denial (because technically, I can show a good moral character for the past 5 years).

Frank

Well, not really a first hand experience, but as I see it depends on interviewing officer. As example, my brother never registered for selective service, same reason - he didn't know. But he is on active duty in the NAVY right now, which in my opinion beats registering. But on his interview they still told him that he has to explain why, and "decision cannot be made at this time".
Go figure,apparently protecting your country is not good enough to become citizen.

Vmlnj

Thanks for the response. A few questions:

1) Was your brother older than 31 years of age when he applied for citizenship?

2) Did the interviewing officer explicitly state that the reason for not being able to make the decision was because of his failure to register?

3) Has he received his final decision yet? (How long ago was the interview?)

Thanks

I was facing similar situation, I took the route similar to you, which "ASK WHEN IN DOUBT". I have my interview on Sept 13th but I set up an appointment earlier with Immigration Officer through INFOPASS, and had my papers reviewed on July 26th. She went through all the documents including the letter from Selective Services and told me that it was all satisfactory.

I would suggest you doing the same if it is not too general answer.