Non-visa issue (social security credit)

Guest168

Registered Users (C)
Sorry that I don't know where to post this question. But since many of you are getting there to the citizenship, I thought some of you may have answers for me.

I was on 1-year practical training (OPT) right after school in 1999. For OPT, we were exempted from social security and medicare taxes. Then I was transitioned to H1B from 2000 to 2004. Now I am on GC. I found out that my social security statement said I only earned credit starting 2003. I went back to look at my W2, my company deducted 0 dollar for SS / Medicare from my paycheck from 2000 - 2002. However, at the end of each year, we all have to file taxes and pay if we owe anything.

1) The Federal taxes includes social security and Medicare taxes, right?
2) Am I eligible to receive the credits back from 1999 to 2002? That's 12 credits that I lost. What's the next step I should do??

Thanks if you have suggestions. I am ready to call Social Security, IRS, and my company. Not sure which one I should start out first.

No. Social Security (FICA) and Medicare are separate deductions run against your paycheck.

2) Am I eligible to receive the credits back from 1999 to 2002? That's 12 credits that I lost. What's the next step I should do??

I doubt it, but maybe there is some way for you to make the payments you missed? As it stands, it doesn't sound like you paid any contributions anyway, so you haven't really 'lost' anything except time.

You have to call SSA to find out what to make up the UNPAID taxes, which were due at the time of receiving wage. You and your employer may be found delinquent in taxes and be penalized for it. In addition, you don't want to be found owing taxes by USCIS because that would be a big blow to your future naturalization.