No permanent Address, US citizenship question: Triple citizen, bobysmith and other gurus help!

hopefulcitizen

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I recently discovered this site, and it is a great source of information.
I am a nurse and currently employed full-time. But recently I have started thinking about working locum (1-2month at a time in different locations all over the US) . For example, I will be working Oct/Nov in New york, then Dec/Jan in california etc. If I sign the contract, then I will not have a permanent home address, because the company arranges for accomadations everywhere(I will be staying within United States the whole time) The problem is I am a GC holder and I will be applying for citizenship in about 2 years.
Will it be a problem when it is time for citizenship application and interview? Should I not sign the contract and stay at my current job? Thanks everyone in advance.

Won't you have any home base?
Are you going to carry all your worldly possesions from job to job in a suitcase?
Maybe you could use a relative or friends address as a base?

Actually I have the option of maintaining a home. But I prefer not to, and I don't mind living out of a suitcase. That's why I posted,to see if it is possible not to keep an actual home. I have a relative whose address I can use. But doesn't USCIS require you to tell them about your actual physical address?

I don't see the reason why not. I think the wisest thing to do is to make an info-pass appointment and discuss with a uscis officer?

Is your drivers license from the same state as the relative you can use for address? If your relative lives in the same state as your driver license I would just use that address as your permanent address so you have a place to receive mail. Remember that you have to have lived in the district in which you apply for naturalization for 3 months before you can apply. So, if you live in a state in which your relative lives in the same USCIS local office area, your driver license is and you have been more than 3 months living in that USCIS district you could then apply right away.

My 2 cents.

Thanks guys for your replies.
Yes my driver's License is from Texas, the same state my relative lives.
Two more question. So when I apply for citizenship, wont the USCIS see that I had been working (paying state taxes) in other states (Ca, NY, Fl etc.) for the last 2 years. So they can tell me that I wasn't living in Texas that whole time (at my relative's address). Wont that be a problem? Does the USCIS reconize permanent address when someone is not physically living at that permanent adderess? The second question is, do they ask for utility bills as proof of residence, I won't have that, except maybe cellphone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturalization takes nowadays just a few months, around 4 in many places. What is your comment about the 2 years? If you apply now you'll be a citizen before you file next year's taxes, what is the problem there? I think it would be a good idea to use that address for cell phone bills, or some bank account. However, this is something that doesn't come during interview. I mean it is extremely unlikely that they will ask you to produce a bill. I think you can call an address your residential address but spend most of the year or the whole year working part time jobs. In a way it is similar to students being in university away from their parent's homes.

Otherwise, if you are worried you can wait until your situation settles and you get a more permanent place to live. However, I don't see a strong reason to do that.

Where will you go when there is a gap between the short-term assignments? Back to your relative in Texas, right? That means the place in Texas is your residence. And you would be filing taxes as a nonresident in the other states. Keep boarding passes as evidence that you've been flying back to Texas in between assignments.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your comment about the 2 years? If you apply now you'll be a citizen before you file next year's taxes, what is the problem there?
My guess is that the OP needs 2 more years to complete the required 5 years as a permanent resident.

Travel nursing in the US is not an obstacle to naturalization as long a you can demonstrate at least 3 (most recent) months of residency ties in the district from where you will be applying from.

Where will you go when there is a gap between the short-term assignments? Back to your relative in Texas, right? That means the place in Texas is your residence. And you would be filing taxes as a nonresident in the other states. Keep boarding passes as evidence that you've been flying back to Texas in between assignments.

If she is resident in Texas does she need to file state taxes elswhere?