No employment during the past 5 years after green card approved.

herrmeister0159

Registered Users (C)
If no employment during the past 5 years after green card approved but keep reporting the income tax even the total revenue is only interest about 3.00$ per year. Is this issue considered not to be a good qualification for being a us citizen?
Regarding the information above, Can I apply for the citizenship right now?

Yes, you can apply. However, be prepared to answer how you were supporting yourself for the past 5 years.
Did you see Al what I was talking about? The OP just got his GC in 09, and you ok'd his citizenship, you do need to get out of the international space center.

For Herrmeister, Bobsmyth pretty much nailed it for you, but if you are in that kind of a rush to get your citizenship you may want to consider joining the Army, Navy or the Airforce then you can be a Citizen in few months otherwise plan on applying for Citizenship in Jan, 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is already 2015 here in the ISS. I see you guys are still in 2010, shame on you down there...get moving...lol! I realized the OP was high, so I needed to keep his hopes high, especially when the time to chose eligibility criteria visit him...

Oh I'm sorry I was wrong... I asked if I can qualify to apply citizenship in the next 3 years... if I just try to report my revenue come from interest... Actually I dont know myself for the next 3 years I probably get some jobs whether or not... but just in case, I really would like to know it...

Oh I'm sorry I was wrong... I asked if I can qualify to apply citizenship in the next 3 years... if I just try to report my revenue come from interest... Actually I dont know myself for the next 3 years I probably get some jobs whether or not... but just in case, I really would like to know it...

I am wondering what your actual plans are, there is no way you will live in this country five years without getting a job. Even macdonalds will give you a job. And the fact that you came in with a lottery visa makes it harder for you to tell the immigration that you couldnt get a job in five years, only family base green cards can pull things like that and be over looked, you were given the lottery visa and let into this great nation for you to get in and contribute your quote to the nation building and not to be a dependent on this great nation.

So, how do you plan to manage for 5 years without working? Do you have so much savings that you don't have to work for 5 years? Is a parent or spouse supporting you?

herrmeister0159 said:
Oh I'm sorry I was wrong... I asked if I can qualify to apply citizenship in the next 3 years...
The earliest you can apply is January 2014. That's a few months more than 3 years.

So, how do you plan to manage for 5 years without working? Do you have so much savings that you don't have to work for 5 years? Is a parent or spouse supporting you?

The earliest you can apply is January 2014. That's a few months more than 3 years.

Jack,

He's planning on developing horse manure gas as an alternative source of powering cars in CA. As you can see, he's in CA, which has a huge appetite for innovative minds. Larry Flynn is based there too, known for asking people to do unfairly speakable things on camera..lol!!

Yea I have some savings before I quited the job and I could spend it without having a job through 5 years.

Yea I have some savings before I quited the job and I could spend it without having a job through 5 years.

Then save your bank or brokerage account statements so you can show the interviewer you were living off savings that were large enough to last 5 years, in case they ask about how you were financially supported for so long without a job.

It is not about having saving that will last you 5 yrs, it is about being a productive member of the great society.Here you need to work and pay taxes, the higways, street lights, fire fighters, cops have to be paid and maintained and it cost money to do all that. So if we all live off our savings for 5 years and not pay taxes then this great country of ours will turn into a third world country.

It is not about having saving that will last you 5 yrs, it is about being a productive member of the great society.Here you need to work and pay taxes, the higways, street lights, fire fighters, cops have to be paid and maintained and it cost money to do all that. So if we all live off our savings for 5 years and not pay taxes then this great country of ours will turn into a third world country.

If we live off of our savings, then the money we spend goes into the economy and taxes are paid on it. Income taxes aren't the only form of taxes here.

Herrmeister,

How much savings does one need to be able to sustain for 5 years on interest? This is not a cheap country by any means. You certainly can't put your money in US banks to generate that kind of intersest. C'mon - wha't the deal ..it's not all interest and savings, is it? <nudge><wink>. People normally come to this country to make money to send home. You on other hand, are spending money in US. So your case has made us very curious. :_)

Herrmeister,

How much savings does one need to be able to sustain for 5 years on interest? This is not a cheap country by any means. You certainly can't put your money in US banks to generate that kind of intersest. C'mon - wha't the deal ..it's not all interest and savings, is it? <nudge><wink>. People normally come to this country to make money to send home. You on other hand, are spending money in US. So your case has made us very curious. :_)

The underground economy is going to sustain him for the next 5 years. Unless he has a plan on retaining a large portion of his saving, a sudden illness which might require medical attention is likely going to wipe-off his saving in a jiffy. Unless he has health insurance, I think something is going on....

To someone who doubt how can I survive here without having a job.... It is really difficult here to live without revenue, I agree. But look at this way if I can not really find the job here what can I do I should bring money here for my life to get going. To be honest, approximately 200k USD in my account and this statement I showed to consulate as well. So that's why they did not require me the sponsor.
Here is my plan. Right now I need to have US passport for the future use then I can go back to my country to work there again does not matter I have to file the income taxes here.

Last edited by a moderator:
To someone who doubt how can I survive here without having a job.... It is really difficult here to live without revenue, I agree. But look at this way if I can not really find the job here what can I do I should bring money here for my life to get going. To be honest, approximately 200k USD in my account and this statement I showed to consulate as well. So that's why they did not require me the sponsor.
Here is my plan. Right now I need to have US passport for the future use then I can go back to my country to work there again does not matter I have to file the income taxes here.

H,

200K is sufficient to sustain you for the next 5 years. If you can find a small 1brd apt for $800 per month with all utilities included, plus in a rent control environment, then you should be good for next 5 years. Living a modest life will be a good idea, I know people who have blown $5 million in less then 3 years. Good luck to you and you still have a long wait to your citizenship interview, in the meantime, be a law abiding LPR. Just Google good character to become a US citizen, plus this thread should provide you with enough information on what to avoid, whores, speeding, drinking and stealing of any form, you should be set...

H,

200K is sufficient to sustain you for the next 5 years. If you can find a small 1brd apt for $800 per month with all utilities included, plus in a rent control environment, then you should be good for next 5 years. Living a modest life will be a good idea, I know people who have blown $5 million in less then 3 years. Good luck to you and you still have a long wait to your citizenship interview, in the meantime, be a law abiding LPR. Just Google good character to become a US citizen, plus this thread should provide you with enough information on what to avoid, whores, speeding, drinking and stealing of any form, you should be set...

Thank you AL
Thank you for your advice. Actually now I'm looking for a job. hope to get it someday. I'm living here with my friend share the apartment so it's not alot of money to spend...