• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Newborn family member doesn't have a passport yet

samyoussef

Registered Users (C)
The documents of My newborn baby has already sent to the KCC. Because I'm not live in my country, I have to ask my countries embassy to issue a passport for him. The problem is: my embassy said it need 3 months to be issued. On there other hand my interview will be in March. I don't know what should I do. Is the US embassy will respect my situation or not? If someone has any recommendation, please tell me thanx

The documents of My newborn baby has already sent to the KCC. Because I'm not live in my country, I have to ask my countries embassy to issue a passport for him. The problem is: my embassy said it need 3 months to be issued. On there other hand my interview will be in March. I don't know what should I do. Is the US embassy will respect my situation or not? If someone has any recommendation, please tell me thanx

I think you will be OK as there are special rules (at least for the first entry into the USA) for newborns. You might have a 2 day old baby when you interview - and that child will obviously not have documents yet. However, it would be worth calling the embassy where you will interview to check with them.

I understood the special rules (if you are taking about baby not needing a visa) only applied if the baby was born after the parents had got their visas, which wouldn't be the case here? However worst case I presume is that the parents do the interview but don't get the visas immediately - then send all the passports in when they get the baby's one (another option is that they get their visas after the interview and then send the baby's passport for its own one when they get the passport, but then the visas will have a different expiry date and that might be an issue unless they know they will leave pretty quickly after the baby gets the passport/visa).

Samyoussef, the best option for you at the moment is to keep the interview you have scheduled and discuss the situation with the CO, but as Simon suggests probably also a good idea to call ahead and see what the embassy says.

I understood the special rules (if you are taking about baby not needing a visa) only applied if the baby was born after the parents had got their visas, which wouldn't be the case here? However worst case I presume is that the parents do the interview but don't get the visas immediately - then send all the passports in when they get the baby's one (another option is that they get their visas after the interview and then send the baby's passport for its own one when they get the passport, but then the visas will have a different expiry date and that might be an issue unless they know they will leave pretty quickly after the baby gets the passport/visa).

Samyoussef, the best option for you at the moment is to keep the interview you have scheduled and discuss the situation with the CO, but as Simon suggests probably also a good idea to call ahead and see what the embassy says.

Yes Susie - that special rule is what I was thinking of. If for example you had a new baby (as in my 2 day example) and the baby doesn't get a visa at the embassy appointment (because there is no passport), that doesn't really matter since the child will be allowed to enter the USA the first time under the "special rule". So, it might be that the embassy just relies on that in cases like this. Obviously the baby does need some sort of travel document for the plane journey itself.

But anyway, the embassy will be able to advise the OP what they will do. By the way - if they suggest delaying the appointment for a couple of months until the passport arrives - my advice would be to decline that option and say that isn't possible (because of the limited supply of visas).

I think as a general rule the embassies advise people to keep appointments and send missing paperwork later anyway? But as you point out, the situation of a baby arriving in time for the interview but before it has a passport must be something they know how to deal with.

I think as a general rule the embassies advise people to keep appointments and send missing paperwork later anyway? But as you point out, the situation of a baby arriving in time for the interview but before it has a passport must be something they know how to deal with.

Yes agreed.

Thanx for all
I think the best one is to call the embassy to explain my situation as soon as I receive the 2 NL