Newbie questions to N-400 application

duhita

Hi,

I have worked my way through the FAQ and I have some questions related to filling out N-400 Application. I will appreciate response.

1) In the section, where it asks for detained or arrested by Law Enforcement Official -- would this include occurrences of traffic violations -- namely not complete stop on stop sign, and speeding (one time).

2) Related to SSS -- I came to US when I was 21 as a student on F-1. Do I need to do something related to SSS. My spouse joined me on H-4 at age 26 later. Does she need to do something related to SSS.

3) Are there any potential gotchas in trying to self-apply for Naturailization (as opposed to hiring Immigration lawyer). My case falls in the common bucket of 5 + years on GC, 10+ years in this country, with no problems with IRS or law etc..

Appreciate your response..

Thanks
duhita

duhita said:
Hi,

I have worked my way through the FAQ and I have some questions related to filling out N-400 Application. I will appreciate response.

1) In the section, where it asks for detained or arrested by Law Enforcement Official -- would this include occurrences of traffic violations -- namely not complete stop on stop sign, and speeding (one time).
Lot of discussion on this. You can include traffic tickets in your N400. They won't have a negative effect on your application as long as you can conclusively prove that you addressed them legally viz., by paying a fine, having them dismissed, attending traffic school etc.

duhita said:
2) Related to SSS -- I came to US when I was 21 as a student on F-1. Do I need to do something related to SSS. My spouse joined me on H-4 at age 26 later. Does she need to do something related to SSS.

If you got your GC after your 26th birthday, then no need to take any thing from Selective Services. Just make sure that you have been on a valid non-immigrant state before your 26th birthday (F-1, H-1, B-1 whatever). Your wife need not take any action on this issue. Selective services doesn't apply to women - only males.

duhita said:
3) Are there any potential gotchas in trying to self-apply for Naturailization (as opposed to hiring Immigration lawyer). My case falls in the common bucket of 5 + years on GC, 10+ years in this country, with no problems with IRS or law etc..
If your application is really as simple as you say, then you can go at it alone. Most people on this forum have applied without any legal assistance and seemed to have done OK! Just keep in mind that having an attorney in and itself is not going to speed up the process.

duhita said:
Appreciate your response..

Thanks
duhita

Standard disclaimers apply - I am not a lawyer blah, blah, blah. This is my opinion and I could be wrong.

Traffic Violations!!

Thanks a lot for your response!

If I do not have updated information about traffic violations (minor infractions like speeding ticket once, and not coming to complete stop at stop sign), would not disclosing it constitute hiding information, and show negatively on my character (and hence application).

duhita

:D :D :D
use the search function"traffic tickets"

duhita said:

If I do not have updated information about traffic violations (minor infractions like speeding ticket once, and not coming to complete stop at stop sign), would not disclosing it constitute hiding information, and show negatively on my character (and hence application).

duhita

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=213278&highlight=traffic+tickets
>> notice what the interview officer did @ the time of the interview...

You are solely responsible for your actions..there is no harm in declaring traffic tickets.
best of luck

duhita said:

duhita