Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

If possible, please share your interview experience.

thanks

emno,

I was set for a 8 AM appointment. I reached there by 7:20 AM, and was standing outside in line till about 8:10 AM. Once we got in, they made us submit our paperwork at a counter, and in a random order started calling people. My interviewer asked me 6 questions out of the 100 that are prescribed, followed by a sentece to read and a sentence to write. Once done, he signed an acceptance document pending approval.

Then a wait of another 30 mins, and they called my name, asked me to sign the certificate of naturalization, give in my green card, and asked if I had any other travel documents from the USCIS. We were all sent to the adjacent room, where we were adminstered the oath, and were given the certificates. People were very cordial.

Pleasant experience, and timewise I was out of the building (with my citizenship certificate) by 11:45 AM.

Hpoe this helps.

Interview experience

It is finally done after 13.5 years of being in USA, I am a US citizen. Overall the naturalization process was pretty effortless. My interview time was for 9:40AM, where as my husband's was for 9:20AM. We reached Newark at about 8:45AM, and waited in a long line to clear security. By the time we went upstairs and submitted paper work it must have been 9:15ish. Although they ask everyone to report to 15th floor, within few min of submitting paperwork, they called my husband and asked him to go to 14th floor for his interview. Supposedly there were a bunch of people being interviewed there right in the open. So, I waited on my own, and was called in around 10:45.

The IO was very brusk and asked me to take GC and passport out. When I put it on the table, he hardly even glanced at it, never even opened my passport to check for anything. Asked me a few application related questions such as if I am at the same address, how many times I went outside the country, length of longest stay etc., Then he proceeded with the Yes/No questions and then gave me the civics/english questions. Very straightforward stuff. He asked me if I still wanted to change my name and when I told him yes, printed out the name change request form, made me sign it and also the photos and gave me the paper to indicate that I passed the test and was recommended for citizenship. Never congratualted nor made any small talk. When I asked him if I should take the sheet to window 1, he told me to wait until I was called.

I came out and by that time my husband had also finished his interview on 14th floor. I was called first and after I signed my naturalization certificate was asked to go for the oath. It was almost 11:30AM, so I asked them when the oath was. The lady said as soon as they finish calling out all the people. I thought that meant I can wait until my husband was called, so instead of going for the oath I went back and was waiting for my husband to be called. After 5 min of waiting, based on a hunch, I went to the oath room and found that they had already started. They told me I cannot enter, so after a brief panic and rushing back and forth, figured out that I can do the oath at 2:30 and don't have to do anything special. Went for lunch and came back at 1PM. Hubby was called at 1:30, and then we waited religiously without stepping out in the oath room until the oath (once bitten, twice shy phenomenon), did the oath, took some photos and stepped out of the building at about 3ish.

Although it was a long day, really glad that it is all done and no more USCIS!!!

hi thanks IPL-fan,
Journey to US citizenship is over today! Finally! Sigh of relief!
Thanks to all the forum people for their incredible support and guidance. Amazing job!
Let me tell about my interview experience,
reached at 1230pm for my 1pm interview. Gave my I/L to the receptionist. Waited about 35minutes. A pleasant interview officer came out, called my name, got me into the office. Gave me an oath to speak the truth prior to starting the interview. Just like the video on the USCIS website. Next he went over the entire N400 form and verifying everything. During the section on the trips out of country, I had two trips of >1 year but I had re-entry permits for them and he said that he would verify the counts of days in and out of country before approving my final application. I had a traffic ticket for a car accident, and I gave him the original court disposition documents that he kept. Once all the sections were finished he had me sign the form at two places. Then I was administered the civics test. The questions are the same as dr_rks, the last one was what are the first ten amendments to the constitution called - Bill of Rights. Reading and writing test was a piece of cake. He again verified all my dates and counted the time and said it was fine and congratulated me and recommended me for citizenship.
Took the oath ceremony on the next floor in about one hour. All in all, reached the place at 1230 and was done at 3pm.
Now I gotta apply for the passport........
Once again thanks guys.........

The long journey of immigration finally came to an end on Friday, 21/05/2010, exactly 10 years and 5 months (to the date). The whole process was pretty much similar to the experience of other folks. Interview was at 8:20 AM and me and my wife reached there by about 7:45 AM. Got into the building and were directed to the 15 floor. After reaching there, submitted the notice at window 1 and waited. Could not figure out the order in which people are called since they were certainly not in the order in which the notices were submitted at window 1.

After about a 90 mins wait, I was called in. The IO was quite a serious woman but very business like. After swearing to speak the truth, she offered a seat and asked me to produce the GC, PP and DL. (nothing else was asked). Here is where a very tricky thing happened. After confirming my name, she asked if I had used any other name previously. I had answered negatively in the N-400 and so I said NO. She then produced a birth certificate with a different name which was mine. The story behind all this is, when my birth was registered it got registered with a wrong name.(don't ask how/why - don't know). However this was corrected some time and a while applying for the GC, in order to set the record straight, both the certificates were submitted with adequate explation. So the corrected certificate was also part of the A file. Not sure if the IO already seen this and she wanted to throw me off balance. Anyhow, I gave her the story one more time and she searched the entire file and found the corrected BC. I remained calm through the search process.

After going through the rest of N-400, the following question were asked :

To read one line and write a line in english and for the Civic Test:

A) Who were brought into America as Slaves
B) Which is the highest court in the US.
C) Why did the colonists fight the British
D) Who is the vice president now
E) How many amendments did the constitution go through
F) Don' Remember ! ! !

The test was done sucessfully, came out and was called to sign the certificate after about 20 mins. Oath was at 11:30 and since they were trying to bunch up all the people for the oath, there was some delay and everything was done by 12:30.

Would like to thank everyone who has contributed in making this journey possible. Good luck to those who are waiting.

Question for forum members -

I fingerprinted on April 26th and have not heard anything from Newark DO regarding an interview date. I did get a yellow letter asking me to bring a state issued ID to the interview a week ago.

Also, my priority date according to the notice is March 31 and according to the fingerprinting letter is March 26th. Which one is more accurate?

Has anyone with priority dates between March 25th and March 31st filing at the Newark NJ office gotten interview letters?

Any responses are appreciated!

DO Newark
PO 03/16/2010
FP 04/23/2010
YL 05/12/2010
I haven't received an interview letter either.

March 2010 filers

I was wondering if anyone who applied in March has received an interview letter from Newark DO...
I only received a yellow letter at this point.
Thanks for sharing you info.

My PD is March 16th and I haven't received the Interview letter either. I did receive the yellow letter.I'd appreciate if you could share when you receive yours, I'll do the same.
Thanks.

In the same shoe as the last couple of you that posted. YL asking for my state ID, no IL yet...

PD: 3/19/10
FP: 4/29/10
YL: 5/19/10

DO Newark
PD 03/16/2010
FP 04/23/2010
YL 05/12/2010
Still no IL. What is your PD?
Looking at the volume in March, it seems that they got more applications than the previous months, I am assuming this is why they are taking longer. Lucky us!!!

I don't think everybody gets it. On another thread I've read of at least one person who never got it. There were also people who got it after their interview letter, but it seems to be pretty exceptional.

Hello, I am new to this site, Please excuse my ignorance or any blogging faux paus.
I am an applicant for Naturalization. The following are the details of my application
Day 0: March 18th 2010: N 400 Submitted
Day 5: March 23rd 2010: Delivered
Day 10: Check cashed
March 30th 2010: Fingerprint Letter
April 23rd: Fingerprint appointment
May11th: Yellow Letter: Request to bring State ID or Driver's License to the interview (No interview letter yet)
I checked my case status online and it said request for evidence is asked, until then my case is suspended. I'm did not receive any letter requesting evidence.
Only the yellow letter asking for a State Issued Id or Driver's License which I'm supposed to bring directly to the interview.
I don't have an interview letter yet.
Can someone help me? Should I call them and then make an infopass appointment.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

Hello, I am new to this site, Please excuse my ignorance or any blogging faux paus.
I am an applicant for Naturalization. The following are the details of my application
Day 0: Feb 18th 2010: N 400 Submitted
Day 5: March 23rd 2010: Delivered
Day 10: Check cashed
March 30th 2010: Fingerprint Letter
April 23rd: Fingerprint appointment
May11th: Yellow Letter: Request to bring State ID or Driver's License to the interview (No interview letter yet)
I checked my case status online and it said request for evidence is asked, until then my case is suspended. I'm did not receive any letter requesting evidence.
Only the yellow letter asking for a State Issued Id or Driver's License which I'm supposed to bring directly to the interview.
I don't have an interview letter yet.
Can someone help me? Should I call them and then make an infopass appointment.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

DO Newark
PD 03/16/2010
FP 04/23/2010
YL 05/12/2010
I am in the exact same situation. After reading online and I called the information line, they sent me a letter saying that the RFE was the letter for fingerprinting (even though on the phone they said first it was two different things). They also don't always update the site in a timely manner.
The YL also only asks for an ID. My humble opinion: if you look at the number of applications received in Newark in March, it's way higher than the previous months, the delay may be due to that... Since our timeline is almost the same, please let me know if you find out anything or if you receive your IL, I'll do the same. Thanks.