Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

LIE - I know it is wrong But that is what a Lady second level IO once told me - when I was transferred to second level IO about my wife's case and wife is not with me - she said, I need to get permission from your wife to talk to you about your case. I told her that I am having hard time getting through first level, then she told me that "you can tell them that you haven't received your receipt even after 4 months of cashing out the check!!!" - you know what can you do???

Anyway, my case status is showing as not found and I told first level the same and explained my situation and 1 out 3 times they transferred...I also read that some folks as telling them that they have lost the notice letter and no update for more than two months etc.,

Good Luck getting though (or) just don't worry...you may receive sooner than you think :)

How to reach the customer service person who can answer the question. We tried but both times hey just read out what is given online. THey say hey do not have any other info

hey Ksam,
i got my GC in 1998 when i was 12 years old. it was obviously family based at the time. My dad owns the company that i work for.....for that may explain a lot of doubts.

Thanks for the good wishes everybody!:)

Hello Everybody!
Sorry I'm a lil bit late with posting my experience! Its cause I had a lot of errants to run and didn't get the time to sit in front of the comp. So here is my experience in detail.

My Appointment was schedule for 1:20 P.M on May 11th (Monday). Woke up around 8 A.M, showered...and got ready and left & got to my workplace by 9 A.M. Here, I got together my checklist of documents and everything else to make sure I was ready for the worst! I made photocopies of the front and back of my Indian passport, green card and driver's license as well. I also prepared an additional sheet for travel i made since filing my application (I've attached it here to show you guys what it looks like!). So i left work around 12:00, and picked up my girlfriend on the way cause she wanted to accompany me.We got to Newark at 1:00 P.M and parked on Greene street where they had parking available for $11 for the whole day. I wasn't really worried about security as there were plenty of cops around! I saw no real point of going in earlier than my scheduled appointment time. Was really cool about it. I wasn't nervous or tensed for some reason (thanks to this forum! ;)) We even got shish-kababs from a street vendor on Greene street. It wasn't as good as the ones you get in NYC! anyways! I got to the Fed building at 1:18 P.M. Passed security, and took the elevators up to the 15th floor. Showed the guard my I.L and he let me in (he had no problems with me bringing in my GF to the waiting room). The place was about 80% full. But about half of them had already finished their interviews and were just waiting to be called for the oath. I handed in my I.L at window 2 and took a seat in the last row in the back of the room near Door 1. I learned something that i didn't know earlier while i was waiting......since there are only 3 doors.......i previously figured that there were only 3 I.O giving interviews at one time! but i was wrong.......as each door led you to several offices in that area! a total of 15 interviews can happen at the same time (i found out!). I was finally called in at 2:45. And I was asked to enter thru door 1. The I.O met me there and guided me to her cubical. I must say that she was SUPER nice from the start! she greeted me at the door. She was like young and maybe in her late 30's early 40's. Reminded me of one of my friend's mom. Super Nice! I was dreading that i didn't get one of those older men I.Os as they seemed extremely up-tight and rude when calling people's names for their Interview. Anyways back to me! lol.....so before she let me sit down, she made me swear to tell the truth.........shook my hand, wished me goodluck and I sat down. Right of the bat she asked me to give her my PP, GC and DL. She ran thru the basics in my applications checking to see if my information was accurate. She asked if i still worked for the same company. She then went to the travel part.....and asked if i had any additions......i handed in my sheet and she said "thats beautiful"....:)......and then she said that everything looks perfect........she commented that she was happy that i didn't seem nervous......cause she said that a lot of people are scared of the I.Os........anyways, she went thru the yes/no questions......she actually skipped alot and went thru it mad quick. was very cool and calm about everything.....then she went on to the testing part........first asked me to read a sentence......and asked me to write now (Lincoln was the president during the civil war)......then went on to the questions........she said she would ask 10.....and i needed 6 right to pass........and i got the first 6 right so she stopped....here they are...
1. How long is the presidential term?
2. Name one of the 2 longest rivers
3. What are the first 10 amendments called
4. Who is the speaker of the house?
5. What stops one branch of govt becoming too powerful?
6. how many justices on the supreme court?

after that she said "Great! congratulations! everything looks good!"....and then she made me sign at a lot of place......instead of printing my name in block.........anyways after that we small talked a lil bit.......about my family.......and my intentions to go back to india and be there for a year........and she seemed really cool with everything.........i was really comfortable!.....and then i got up and left with my oath sheet....the whole interview was done in 14 minutes.

So went back and sat at the same seat......my gf gave me a big hug when i told her that i passed!......so i waited for about another 30 mins......before my name was called at window 1 to sign my name on the Naty certificate.......i actually handed in my GC at the window as well at this point.......they gave me a little white book and asked me to sit down and wait to be called for the ceremony.........and 3:45.......they called us and moved us to the room down the hall for the oath........got some general instructions from a lady with a wisp in her voice..........and then we were finally greeted by this overly enthusiastic/patriotic lady who swore us in!...she like sang all the songs in the videos........and was waving her little american flag the whole time.........after that we all were handed our certificates.........took some pictures with the "christmas tree" and the flag......and went home!

I would especially like to thank my good friend Bobsmyth who helped me alot in my short journey.........and thanks to everybody else as well!......i have scheduled an appointment with the NY embassy to get my passport the same day on may 18th....and will get my indian visa the next day!.....i'm going back home on the 25th!.........but i will continue to be an active member in this forum and give back to everybody who helped me and the ones who will need help in the future! thank you all once again!

Thomas 5 ,Heartiest Congrats...
Thanks a Lot for sharing experience in detail ...

All-

I got my citizenship today. My interview was at 9:40am and oath at ~11:30am.

Here is my interview experience.

I reached there at 9:00am but they called me only at 10:20am. IO, an old guy, basically verified each and every line in my N-400. I was bit nervous as under the citation part, I maked as "No". When he asked about the citation, I said I have few speeding tickets and then he asked me about the details. I said all of them are below $500 and hence wasn't included. I said I have all the driver's records with me. He said that is fine and continued (I didnt have all the payment records with me). He confirmed whether my employer is the same. Also asked me about any trips > 6months. I didnt have any >6months, so said NO. Then he asked me about the trip which was about 173 days long. I gave the reason , which is a personal one and that's it.

He didn't check or asked about any of the following documents though I had them with me.
1) emplyoment letter / pay stubs
2) record of residence ( I was out for about 6 months). I carried rental bills+utilities
3) Tax records
4) Social security card

He asked me to sign both photographs with the "full name" signature. and later he conducted the test.

1) What is the president's party
2) Name three original colonies.
3) Name state borders with Mexico
4) Two major parties in US
5) Who wrote the constitution
6) who is in charge of the military

Then he asked me to write a simple sentence "the people elect the congress" and read a sentence.

He gave me a form to fill for the oath and a letter mentioning "passed civic and english test".

Oath was very simple, there were about 30 people. It was done pretty quickly.. just some formalities and at the end they gave the certificate.

There is a Social security office on the 10th floor. So I went there and updated my information. Once I am out of the Federal bldg, I took few copies of the ceriticate and went to the post office which is the very next building and applied for my passport (expedited). I called USCIS and upgraded my wife's I-130 as well. IO said I will get the upgraded I-130 letter in another 4 weeks.

If you plan, you can complete all of these tasks in the same day itself. I had printed the "passport application form" yesterday so had everything ready.

I would like to thank you all for the help that you have provided. This is a great forum. I will be moving to Passport/I-130 section now.

Thanks again and good luck to everybody,

Ajith

Sent N400 application: Jan 27, 2009
Interview and Oath : May 18, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats helpmen400,
I too have one 173 days trip, hope I get the same experience as yours.

All-

I reached there at 9:00am but they called me only at 10:20am. IO, an old guy, basically verified each and every line in my N-400. I was bit nervous as under the citation part, I maked as "No". When he asked about the citation, I said I have few speeding tickets and then he asked me about the details. I said all of them are below $500 and hence wasn't included. I said I have all the driver's records with me. He said that is fine and continued (I didnt have all the payment records with me). He confirmed whether my employer is the same. Also asked me about any trips > 6months. I didnt have any >6months, so said NO. Then he asked me about the trip which was about 173 days long. I gave the reason , which is a personal one and that's it.

He didn't check or asked about any of the following documents though I had them with me.
2) record of residence ( I was out for about 6 months). I carried rental bills+utilities
3) Tax records
4) Social security card

He asked me to sign both photographs with the "full name" signature. and later he conducted the test.

Then he asked me to write a simple sentence "the people elect the congress" and read a sentence.

He gave me a form to fill for the oath and a letter mentioning "passed civic and english test".

Oath was very simple, there were about 30 people. It was done pretty quickly.. just some formalities and at the end they gave the certificate.

There is a Social security office on the 10th floor. So I went there and updated my information. Once I am out of the Federal bldg, I took few copies of the ceriticate and went to the post office which is the very next building and applied for my passport (expedited). I called USCIS and upgraded my wife's I-130 as well. IO said I will get the upgraded I-130 letter in another 4 weeks.

If you plan, you can complete all of these tasks in the same day itself. I had printed the "passport application form" yesterday so had everything ready.

I would like to thank you all for the help that you have provided. This is a great forum. I will be moving to Passport/I-130 section now.

Ajith

Hi Ajit,
Congratulations.

Why did you need to fill the I-130 form? Is it needed for N400 process?
Thanks

All-

3) Tax records
4) Social security card

Ajith

Back ground cleared

Called up the USCIS customer service. The CSR was kind enough to tranfer me to 2 nd level IO. The IO verified some basic info and provided the case status. My FP was done on Apr 17 and background was cleared on Mar 27th. THey have not sent out anything to me and but have recommended my case for interview and it depends on now the local office to schedule me for the interview. She said the local office will schedule me for the next available date and I should wait for atleast 90 days from the background check clearance date (i.e. Apr 27 in my case) for an interview date.

My Newark Interview Experience - Decision Cannot Yet Be Made

Just finished my interview at Newark and want to share my experience. English and History test passed but interview ended with Decision Cannot Yet Be Made (N14).

My interview was scheduled to be at 1 PM, but didnt get called until 1:30 PM. IO was very professional. Took me to the office, while standing did the 'tell the truth etc thing'.

Interview started off with asking basic information (passport, gc etc). IO then asked for tax documents. I gave him the 'tax transcripts' received from IRS. IO goes through each line item and stops at the line item that says 'Amount Owed' and says the transcript does mention about amount owed but doesnt not say no tax is due. Same with every year of 3 year transcripts. He asked again if I owe any taxes and my answer was no. He then proceeded with verifying each line item on the N400 application. I mentioned about two traffic tickets from 5 years back. He asked what were they for and didnt care to look at the court disposition or the dmv sheet.

He then proceed to ask few questions like where I worked, what company I worked etc. Right in the beginning of the interview, a airplane flew by (loud noise), he said its not supposed to fly so close and he usually notes down the time so his friend at the air traffic can figure the plane and fine the owner :) .

He proceeded with the Civic questions followed by one sentence to read and one sentence to write. (Columbus day is in October).

So far so good with everything. He then told me that since I dont have any proof of payments to IRS and the transcripts say about amount owed but not if/whether it was paid in full, I will have to come back for second interview with the documents. He printed out a form for a interview date 2 months from today. Shoot. All along, he did engage in casual conversation about situation in Sri Lanka and how the govt there got a Rap star to explain the situation to American People on tv :).

I got out of the building disappointed and took 30 or so minutes to get thoughts together. Went back to newark train station and realized that there may be IRS office near by. Looked up IRS office and took cab. Waited another hour or so at the IRS office to get to the agent. Guess what ? Their system is down and she cannot print any account statement saying my taxes are paid in full. But she could print some screen showing all years and taxes owed as zero.

Took cab back to federal building, went through security and rushed to the window. Presented the IRS print out and the N14. She went looked for the office and came back. She told me the officer is done for the day and I have to come back on the rescheduled date.

Take away from the situation today (for me atleast). Check documentation to make sure you have proof that taxes are paid (not just the tax returns or transcripts). This may or may not apply for everyone as mine was marriage based N400.

Oh well, 2 more months of excitement and suspense for me. And thanks for reading :)

Just finished my interview at Newark and want to share my experience. English and History test passed but interview ended with Decision Cannot Yet Be Made (N14).

My interview was scheduled to be at 1 PM, but didnt get called until 1:30 PM. IO was very professional. Too me to the office, while standing did the 'tell the truth etc thing'.

Interview started off with asking basic information (passport, gc etc). IO then asked for tax documents. I gave him the 'tax transcripts' received from IRS. IO goes through each line item and stops at the line item that says 'Amount Owed' and says the transcript does mention about amount owed but doesnt not say no tax is due. Same with every year of 3 year transcripts. He asked again if I owe any taxes and my answer was no. He then proceeded with verifying each line item on the N400 application. I mentioned about two traffic tickets from 5 years back. He asked what were they for and didnt care to look at the court disposition or the dmv sheet.

He then proceed to ask few questions like where I worked, what company I worked etc. Right in the beginning of the interview, a airplane flew by (loud noise), he said its not supposed to fly so close and he usually notes down the time so his friend at the air traffic can figure the plane and fine the owner :) .

He proceeded with the Civic questions followed by one sentence to read and one sentence to write. (Columbus day is in October).

So far so good with everything. He then told me that since I dont have any proof of payments to IRS and the transcripts say about amount owed but not if/whether it was paid in full, I will have to come back for second interview with the documents. He printed out a form for a interview date 2 months from today. Shoot. All along, he did engage in casual conversation about situation in Sri Lanka and how the govt there got a Rap star to explain the situation to American People on tv :).

I got out of the building disappointed and took 30 or so minutes to get thoughts together. Went back to newark train station and realized that there may be IRS office near by. Looked up IRS office and took cab. Waited another hour or so at the IRS office to get to the agent. Guess what ? Their system is down and she cannot print any account statement saying my taxes are paid in full. But she could print some screen showing all years and taxes owed as zero.

Took cab back to federal building, went through security and rushed to the window. Presented the IRS print out and the N14. She went looked for the office and came back. She told me the officer is done for the day and I have to come back on the rescheduled date.

Take away from the situation today (for me atleast). Check documentation to make sure you have proof that taxes are paid (not just the tax returns or transcripts). This may or may not apply for everyone as mine was marriage based N400.

Oh well, 2 more months of excitement and suspense for me. And thanks for reading :)

Bad luck! The lesson learned is to carry IRS transcripts and proof of payment if taxes are owed. Thank goodness I will be carrying transcripts for 5 years (got copies for my wife also) tomorrow for my interview. I always got refunds, so I guess just the transcripts should suffice.

Better luck on your next interview date!!!

Pritthis, true that. I dont want to alert you, but the IO also made comment about negative amount due on the transcripts. He said some of the IOs dont understand the negative amount (IRS owes you money - refund) and they send it back for reinterview asking for IRS letter explaining if the person paid taxes due. So if possible, make sure you have proof that no taxes are due.

All right! I will also carry printouts of the actual tax returns (clearly mentioning refund amounts) and the transmission confirmation from the IRS which I got after electronic filing. Thanks for the advice. This forum is invaluable.

Interview Day

I know the FP appointment can be rescheduled on Saturday. That may cause delay. Can anybody tell me if the interview/Oath Ceremony can be rescheduled on Saturday? Thanks.

were you required to bring in tax returns?

Absrao,

Were you asked to bring tax transcripts when you got the interview letter? or did you just happen to take it and IO asked for it?

Please reply

Done with US Immigration..

Yesterday myself and my wife cleared Interview at Newark.

My wife's interview was at 10:00 AM and mine was at 10:20 AM. We took NJ transit train to Newark.
Had a nice morning walk to FED building.Cleared security and reached 15 floor office at 9:30 AM.
Waited waited and waited... My wife was called at 11:50 AM. She cleared her Interview in less than 9 minutes.
Didn't ask any question other than green card,Indian passport and Green card.
She had minor accident in FL when she was learning car 8 years back.There was no ticket but Officer gave her Motor Crash report. IO asked abt that but didn't ask the report copy.

My wife was back happily.I was still waiting and waiting.Your interview time is purely depend on whom ur case has been assigned to. There was one person whoes Interview was at 10:30 AM was called sharp at same time and his brother's Interview was scheduled at 9:30 AM and was called at 12:30 PM.

I was called at 12:15 PM. The interviewer was professional ,didn't talk or expressed anthing. He went over form and asked me all the questions from N400 form.
He wanted to verify all the information.My advice is before interview go over form.
He asked me about 2 citations/arrests I mentioned in form.I said those were 2 driving tickets.I offered to give him court disposition.He said not required.

Then he asked me 6 simple questions all were correct:

1) What are 2 political parties?
2) Before European who were living in America?
3) Name of the current President?
4) Which Ocean at WEST the coast?
5) How many house of representatives?
6) Current Senator of NJ state?

Then he asked me to read and write simple secentence.
Then he congratuated me and I left the room happily 12:26 PM.

Then I waited in room to get Red Booklate and sign the Naturalization Certificate.
In between I stepped outside the corridor to call my parents and to give good news the officer again called me.
Luckily my wife was waiting in the room and she came out and informed me.
I again went inside my wife was clearly worried since nobody was called twice.
Then IO said sorry he forgot to take court dispositions mentioed in Yellow letter.
I gave him both one from NJ and other from AZ.He verified both circled around the sign of the authority and again congratuated me.

Aound 1:12 PM I was called to sign the Naturalization certificate and asked to attend 1:30 PM oath.
Myself and my wife were very tired and hungry.
We went to 2 floor cafataria.Not many VEG options for my wife she ahd fruit salad and Cake.I had grilled sadwich.
We rushed back to 15th floor for 1:30 PM oath.Again waited for almost 40 minutes.
Were called to OATH room.There was nice lady who made us relax since all were so tired.
Gave instructions and played video and then we took oath.

After oath ceremony we went to 10th floor SSN office to update SSN status.We were don't around 4:15 PM. We went down took 2 photo copies of the certificate then went to post office.We had filled up passport form.Unfortunately passport section at all USPS location closes at or around 3:30 PM.

We walked back to Newark station and took train.

Applied passport next day.Please note some of the USPS locations u have to take prior an appointment for passport application.

I would like to thanks BobSmyth, JohnyCash (for detailed checklist) and other my friends for your support and help.

This is really great forum...

Thanks A Lot..
Freenation.

My wife's interview was at 10:00 AM and mine was at 10:20 AM. We took NJ transit train to Newark.
Had a nice morning walk to FED building.Cleared security and reached 15 floor office at 9:30 AM.
Waited waited and waited... My wife was called at 11:50 AM. She cleared her Interview in less than 9 minutes.
Didn't ask any question other than green card,Indian passport and Green card.
She had minor accident in FL when she was learning car 8 years back.There was no ticket but Officer gave her Motor Crash report. IO asked abt that but didn't ask the report copy.

My wife was back happily.I was still waiting and waiting.Your interview time is purely depend on whom ur case has been assigned to. There was one person whoes Interview was at 10:30 AM was called sharp at same time and his brother's Interview was scheduled at 9:30 AM and was called at 12:30 PM.

I was called at 12:15 PM. The interviewer was professional ,didn't talk or expressed anthing. He went over form and asked me all the questions from N400 form.
He wanted to verify all the information.My advice is before interview go over form.
He asked me about 2 citations/arrests I mentioned in form.I said those were 2 driving tickets.I offered to give him court disposition.He said not required.

Then he asked me 6 simple questions all were correct:

1) What are 2 political parties?
2) Before European who were living in America?
3) Name of the current President?
4) Which Ocean at WEST the coast?
5) How many house of representatives?
6) Current Senator of NJ state?

Then he asked me to read and write simple secentence.
Then he congratuated me and I left the room happily 12:26 PM.

Then I waited in room to get Red Booklate and sign the Naturalization Certificate.
In between I stepped outside the corridor to call my parents and to give good news the officer again called me.
Luckily my wife was waiting in the room and she came out and informed me.
I again went inside my wife was clearly worried since nobody was called twice.
Then IO said sorry he forgot to take court dispositions mentioed in Yellow letter.
I gave him both one from NJ and other from AZ.He verified both circled around the sign of the authority and again congratuated me.

Aound 1:12 PM I was called to sign the Naturalization certificate and asked to attend 1:30 PM oath.
Myself and my wife were very tired and hungry.
We went to 2 floor cafataria.Not many VEG options for my wife she ahd fruit salad and Cake.I had grilled sadwich.
We rushed back to 15th floor for 1:30 PM oath.Again waited for almost 40 minutes.
Were called to OATH room.There was nice lady who made us relax since all were so tired.
Gave instructions and played video and then we took oath.

After oath ceremony we went to 10th floor SSN office to update SSN status.We were don't around 4:15 PM. We went down took 2 photo copies of the certificate then went to post office.We had filled up passport form.Unfortunately passport section at all USPS location closes at or around 3:30 PM.

We walked back to Newark station and took train.

Applied passport next day.Please note some of the USPS locations u have to take prior an appointment for passport application.

I would like to thanks BobSmyth, JohnyCash (for detailed checklist) and other my friends for your support and help.

This is really great forum...

Thanks A Lot..
Freenation.

Congratulations freenation!..Does applying to OCI apply to you?

Congratulations freenation!..Does applying to OCI apply to you?

Yes, I will be applying OCI card.

I really appreciate you standing firm and helping n.. number of people who are stuck in immigration process.I feel this is kind of social service only..

Regards,
freenation.

Congraats Freenation.

My Interview is scheduled for Jun 8th, as me and my wife have it on same day, we have take our kids to Interview Office, is there any request we can make not to call us at the same time. Or if by bad luck they call us at the same time, can we say that we want to wait till one of us gets back ?

I think it will be tough for either of us to attend the interview with kids.

Thanks for quick response.