Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Got my passport on Saturday - only took 2 weeks (non-expedited application).

So, basically my whole citizenship application from mailing of N-400 to receipt of passport was 4 months, not bad.

Good luck everyone.

thanks freenation. Bob! aren't you always the prankster! haha! will post my experience tonight! thank you all for your support till today. My appointment is at 1:20 P.M! :)

got Interview date

Hi All,
We had FP done on 4/9/2009 and today got the interview date for 7/13/2009. I have booked my tickets to India for August 8. Should I reschedule the interview for September? How soon can I get the passport/visa? I am going to check the US passport website but is there any one here who recently got the passport done?
Thanks.

Hi All,
We had FP done on 4/9/2009 and today got the interview date for 7/13/2009. I have booked my tickets to India for August 8. Should I reschedule the interview for September? How soon can I get the passport/visa? I am going to check the US passport website but is there any one here who recently got the passport done?
Thanks.

caprisun: I just logged in to post my passport timing (just got my passport today), perfect timing. Yes, I am finally a CARD carrying citizen :) Thanks to everyone in the forum.
caprisun: I applied for my passport (expedited application at the local PO) on 1 May and received my Passport today (11th May). So if you have your oath the same day as your interview you should be fine (also you can always get a pssport in 1-2 days I think if you go directly to the office). If yuour oath is on a different day that could change the situation...hope this helps..

Congratulations noginoypi, ASWNewark

Question to all who got the Citizenship and Oath at Newark:
After passing the interview and you were told to wait for Oath, Is it possible to come out of the building and go back for scheduled Oath time? What is the exact steps after you were told by IO that your Citizenship is approved - do they give Oath letter? or simply a verbal communication about time? do you have to wait inside for any further signatures/steps before your scheduled Oath time?

Thanks...

Hi
I think I have the PD as yours.
I received the letter date on 5/7/09 and the yellow letter on 5/9/09.
My interview date i 07/31.

Thank

Thanks ASWNewark. I will look into the apply in person option too. That might be more appropriate since I need to get visa too. I will be going to Newark, so same day oath for me :)
Congratulations on becoming a US Citizen.

caprisun: I just logged in to post my passport timing (just got my passport today), perfect timing. Yes, I am finally a CARD carrying citizen :) Thanks to everyone in the forum.
caprisun: I applied for my passport (expedited application at the local PO) on 1 May and received my Passport today (11th May). So if you have your oath the same day as your interview you should be fine (also you can always get a pssport in 1-2 days I think if you go directly to the office). If yuour oath is on a different day that could change the situation...hope this helps..

ASWNewark, are u talking abt post office or post office?

ASWNewark, are u talking abt post office or post office?

freenation: Not sure I understand your question. By PO, I meant Postal Office. I submited my passport application at a post office the day after my oath (after the oath they give you a certificate of naturalization). Hope this answers your question!

Thanks ASWNewark. I will look into the apply in person option too. That might be more appropriate since I need to get visa too. I will be going to Newark, so same day oath for me :)
Congratulations on becoming a US Citizen.

Good luck. I am not a 100% sure how quickly "in person" application works. I recall reading an option that said if one plans on traveling within 14 days you can apply directly at a regional office! (search the web for the DS 11 form and you should see that info)

Perfect case for a walk-in passport @ Regional Passport Agency - I think you should get in a day and a day for Indian Visa

http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=2042049&postcount=9

I am also traveling on that week-end and haven't received my interview date yet. Wife is traveling 2 weeks ahead of me and no interview date yet...hope we will get soon!

Please post your experience how it went with same day passport and Indian visa...we will follow your steps if we can get the interview a week before our travel :)

Hi All,
Thanks.

Good luck. I am not a 100% sure how quickly "in person" application works. I recall reading an option that said if one plans on traveling within 14 days you can apply directly at a regional office! (search the web for the DS 11 form and you should see that info)

Thanks ASWNewark for your helpful suggestion. I think I need to take an appointment. I will post my experience.

ShopFree4pc,
Your FP was about a week after mine. So your interview date will be around 7/20 (hope for the best). That leaves 2 weeks for your passport/visa. Is your wife traveling on the 25th? I will post my experience with the in-person passport. It looks like we have to get an appoitment before we go.

Last edited by a moderator:
ShopFree4pc,
Your FP was about a week after mine. So your interview date will be around 7/20 (hope for the best). That leaves 2 weeks for your passport/visa. Is your wife traveling on the 25th? I will post my experience with the in-person passport. It looks like we have to get an appoitment before we go.

shopfree4pc
Sidhgautam has posted that his PD is same as your and his interview is in 07/31. Possibly you could have on same day.

Got the IL yesterday for me and wifey, Interview/Oath scehduled on 27th July, 2009.
Below is the list of things that they asked to bring in,

1) All the travel documents we used to enter US or be in US.
2) The Interview letter.
3) Green Cards
4) Any proof of selective services registration.
5) Drivers License

I am not sure why did they ask for "Selective Services Registration", since I was on non-immigrant Visa till I was 31 years old. Any inputs on this?

Anybody was asked about the Selective Services and was on H1-B or any non-immigrant visa between 18-26 Years of the age? This one is bothering me.

Got the IL yesterday for me and wifey, Interview/Oath scehduled on 27th July, 2009.
Below is the list of things that they asked to bring in,

1) All the travel documents we used to enter US or be in US.
2) The Interview letter.
3) Green Cards
4) Any proof of selective services registration.
5) Drivers License

I am not sure why did they ask for "Selective Services Registration", since I was on non-immigrant Visa till I was 31 years old. Any inputs on this?

Anybody was asked about the Selective Services and was on H1-B or any non-immigrant visa between 18-26 Years of the age? This one is bothering me.

This is a standard request and may not apply to everyone.

Received NOA for my Interview on 7/31/2009. Haven't received my wife's yet. Is this normal?

My case's online status changed to NOT COMPLETE (from NOT FOUND) two day's after this notice date (Could be updated after the letter was mailed?) - Haven't seen any change on my wife's case status (NOT FOUND)...

Little worried that she might get it for the same day which means that we will have to reschedule the interview dates as she is traveling out of country for 6 weeks on 7/25... :confused: (I have traveling on 8/7)...

Anybody has suggestions on what to do in this situation?

thanks freenation. Bob! aren't you always the prankster! haha! will post my experience tonight! thank you all for your support till today. My appointment is at 1:20 P.M! :)

Hi thomas5,

How did ur interview go? Please share your experinces.

Thanks,
freenation.

Perfect case for a walk-in passport @ Regional Passport Agency - I think you should get in a day and a day for Indian Visa

http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=2042049&postcount=9

I am also traveling on that week-end and haven't received my interview date yet. Wife is traveling 2 weeks ahead of me and no interview date yet...hope we will get soon!

Please post your experience how it went with same day passport and Indian visa...we will follow your steps if we can get the interview a week before our travel :)

Shopfree4pc

TIll now we had ben travelling in same boat for timeline. I haven't recieved anything yet. Just worried a bit:confused::confused::confused:

Should see sometime soon and would be around my interview date...did you check online status? - Did it changed to CASE NOT COMPLETE from CASE NOT FOUND? - if it is you should receive the Interview Letter in a day or two

Shopfree4pc

TIll now we had ben travelling in same boat for timeline. I haven't recieved anything yet. Just worried a bit:confused::confused::confused: