Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Has anyone applied in September for N-400. I was under the impression that the biometics letter come right after the notice date. I haven't recieved my letter yet? DO you think it might be lost in mail, or is the processing slow nowadays?
Please post your timelines if you have applied in Sept or october. Any advice?

My dates are following:
Mailed priority: 9/24/08
Recieved: 9/26/08
Check Cashed: 9/30/08
Notice Recieved Date:10/18/08
Finger print: ?
IL:??

Thanks..

I have applied on october, so I havet get anything yet. Since you and i applied around the same time, it will nice to keep track what each of us are getting, so we can see if the process is being slow now, or something got lost in the mail

Application mailed - 10/09/08
Application received - 10/14/08
Priority date - no yet
Check cashed - 10/23/2008
Notice date - ....

Interview experience at Newark

Got my citizenship last week. Wanted to share the experience. So here it goes

- My case was a bit complicated in the sense that i had been traveling outside the US quite a bit. I never exceeded the 6 month limit and I did meet the 30 month physical presence in the US requirement
- Had my original interview in June. I waited for almost 2 hours to be called for the interview after i gave my interview notice at the window
- When I stepped in, the Officer, after some intial oath formalities, told me that i had to essentially come back for another interview for them to go through my travels abroad and my ties to US. The Officer wanted to complete the rest of the material (including going thru N-400, history test, english test etc). The Officer gave me slip that i had passed the history test but have to appear for another interview
- Within a week, i received a notice asking me to appear for re-interview in october. Along with that was a paper with suggestions on types of documents to bring. These included things like utility records (phone, gas, elec etc), house records (if any), health insurance, tax records, childrens' school records etc to prove ties to US
- I went to the second interview prepared with most of the above documents to the extent I had them with me. During the interview, the Officer asked me for the tax records and went through them carefully to make sure all the five years' records are available. The Officer asked me if I owe money to IRS (replied no). The Officer also asked me if i had ever claimed to be a tax resident of another country or claimed Foreign Earned Income Exclusion - FEIE (again the answer was no). The Officer asked me for utilities (submitted several). Finally the Officer asked me if I owned a house. I did and showed him the deed. And that was it. Application was approved and oath was on the same day

VSC

10/06/2008 - N400 Sent
10/08/2008 - N400 Received
10/09/2008 - Priority Date.
10/14/2008 - Check Cashed.
10/09/2008 - Notice Date
10/27/2008 - NOA Received ( I-797C)

Interview Experience:

I has my interview yesterday – everything went well, and am now an American citizen. I am posting my details in the hope that it will be helpful to folks; this board has been a great source of information and comfort to me as I went through this process, and I hope that this post helps to pay it forward, so to speak.

My interview was scheduled for 10.20 AM. Arrived at around 9.00 AM (has a friend drop me off as I was a bit under the weather). Was directed to the 15th floor, even thought the IL said Rm 1332. The dragon lady there wouldn’t let me in (the notice does request that folks not arrive more than 30 minutes early) but directed me to the 2nd floor cafeteria, and asked me to come back at 10.00 AM. Went back up at 9.50 AM, and dropped the IL off at Window 8. They give you two sheets – a blue sheet (N-400 Interview Preparation Notice) with instructions on what you will be asked about at the interview, such as changes in address, employment, etc – and an orange sheet that let’s you pick the test (old or redesigned) that you want to take.

The waiting game then began. Sometimes it was difficult to hear the names being called, so pay attention; also which door you are being directed to go to (there are three – door 1 is on the right, and doors 2 and 3 on the left hand side). It may also be important to stay put and not wander off; I could say a few cases of folks being called for interviews but no one showing up, with the IO showing visible annoyance (or when they went to the wrong door). They also call a number of folks to come up to one of the windows (but this for processing the naturalization certificate etc after the interview).

Based on the exhaustive list posted on this board, I went prepared with everything – copy of N-400, details of trips abroad (I have 26 totaling 269 days, almost all for business – there were only 4 personal trips to see my folks in India), employment letter, certified dispositions for three traffic tickets since 2000 (all minor – driving on HOV, overdue inspection, driving through red), birth certificate, federal tax transcripts for past 4 years, state tax returns for past 5 years (not transcripts), letter from Selective Services.

Thanks genejock2008, for sharing your experience in detail.

In your post you mentioned that you had “letter from Selective Services”. Is it required? I entered the country after 26 years of age; do I have to get any letter for SS? If yes, how long does it take to get it?

Your timely response is appreciated, I still have 2 weeks.

sap283,

I don't think it's required in your situation. If you want to get a letter anyway, please check www.sss.gov. The website said it may take five to six weeks to receive the letter so plan accordingly.

Missing Folder

Hi All,

I had my interview today after waiting for more than 18 months since I applied.

Got there at 10:00 for 10:20 but they were very busy and I was not called till 12:30. my interview was almost 25 minutes and the outcome is there is missing folder that needs to be requested before a decision is made.

the Officer went through my application and asked me lots of questions , he also gave me the civics exam which I passed and ended the Interview with '' since we are missing this folder you will not be able to take oath and the case will remain pending"

The question is, have anyone have any experience with such a thing and how long would it normal takes to request a folder from the national center.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Sounds like they need to consolidate another A# file you have. It may take several weeks for them to receive your other A# file from national service center.

Hi All,

If you have an intrview but did not receive a decision at the same day for any reason, would you share your experiance.

Thanks
Sent 3/7/07
FP 3/29/07
ID10/2008

VSC

10/06/2008 - N400 Sent
10/08/2008 - N400 Received
10/09/2008 - Priority Date.
10/14/2008 - Check Cashed.
10/09/2008 - Notice Date
10/27/2008 - NOA Received ( I-797C)

could some one tell me what is this: 10/09/2008 - Notice Date

what is the the "notice date" is it a document that I will get from inmigration ?

could some one tell me what is this: 10/09/2008 - Notice Date

what is the the "notice date" is it a document that I will get from inmigration ?

It is a document that you will receive telling you that your application has been received and is in the process. It is a piece of paper, known as "Notice of Action" (or NOA).

Cheapest & nearest parking at Newark DO.

I am sure this is discussed and answered in this thread or forum. But Can someone tell me where is the cheapest and nearest parking at Newark DO, and how much/day?

Thanks is advance...

Half of the naturalization applicants don't receive a decision on their application after their interview on the same day. So there is nothing to worry about if you are one of them. Listening to their experience might not help you because people don't get decision on the spot for various reasons.

In your case, USCIS needs to consolidate a missing file which they have not got yet. As for how long it will take for them to get then nobody could say for sure because it could take 10 days or many months. Normally it takes only 10 days to transfer a file from one office to another, but then many things could happen during the transition like the clerk might not pay attention to the request or even local DO clerk might not update the system or hand over to the IO so that a decision could be made. I've seen, on this forum, it takes from 2 weeks to 6 months. So, all you can do is-hope it gets quick. Btw, I didn't see blow-to-blow detail of your interview experience.

Good luck...

Hi All,

If you have an intrview but did not receive a decision at the same day for any reason, would you share your experiance.

Thanks
Sent 3/7/07
FP 3/29/07
ID10/2008

Hi nime1,
where is this number printed - front or back of the check? I have hand written number start with ESC (more thn 13 char) on front and printed number start with ESC (13 char but hard to read) on the back.

i believe number listed on back should be it but it has "$" sign after ESC.
can you tell me where your number listed? front or back?

Hi,

I have $ sign in the number printed on the back, there is nothing handwritten on the front of the check. I tried to search case status with $ sign, but no luck. Is $ supposed to be replaced by some number, alphabet or special char?

Thanks in advance for your effort and help.

The number with $ in back of cashed check is not the application number but the payment reference number. Once you get your NOA, it will have the application number. Your payment reference number will also appear on bottom left of NOA.

I am sure this is discussed and answered in this thread or forum. But Can someone tell me where is the cheapest and nearest parking at Newark DO, and how much/day?

Thanks is advance...

I can't tell you about paid parking since never used it there. By the God's grace i've been normally able to park on the side streets nearby. make sure you check all signs and ask locals as signs are often missing there(they made of precious metal called aluminum, if someone did not know). make also sure there is no any valuables visible(and invisible too) in the car. That works if you come early, like 8am or so, but may also work during the day if you have time and God's willing.
Also make sure you do not come the same day i do.... ;)

Also i read on this forum that parking is $12/day, which you may come accross while looking for free one.

I can't tell you about paid parking since never used it there. By the God's grace i've been normally able to park on the side streets nearby. make sure you check all signs and ask locals as signs are often missing there(they made of precious metal called aluminum, if someone did not know). make also sure there is no any valuables visible(and invisible too) in the car. That works if you come early, like 8am or so, but may also work during the day if you have time and God's willing.
Also make sure you do not come the same day i do.... ;)

Also i read on this forum that parking is $12/day, which you may come accross while looking for free one.

Central Parkong System across the street on Court street is the nearest. $10 for the entire day and available all the time.